WS1095: Update firmware via SD card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k5kvn

The USB port on the front of my WS1095 has been broken for quite some time (pins are bent and one is broken.) So I can't update to the latest firmware and DSP via USB. Is it possible to update those via the SD card?

Ed6698

The USB port on the front of my WS1095 has been broken for quite some time (pins are bent and one is broken.) So I can't update to the latest firmware and DSP via USB. Is it possible to update those via the SD card?
FW and DSP cannot be updated with SD card. Probably could send in just the head unit to get usb port repaired or I believe you can purchase a new head unit from Whistler. The head units are not on the website, I purchased a WS1098 head unit a while back that also works with a 1095. I don't know if they sell just the 1095 head unit as I got the 1098 head unit just to have that type also.

k5kvn

FW and DSP cannot be updated with SD card. Probably could send in just the head unit to get usb port repaired or I believe you can purchase a new head unit from Whistler. The head units are not on the website, I purchased a WS1098 head unit a while back that also works with a 1095. I don't know if they sell just the 1095 head unit as I got the 1098 head unit just to have that type also.
Thanks for the tip on getting head unit repaired or replaced. Will contact Whistler and try that.

jimg

Premium Subscriber

I have a Whistler 1088 and the USB plug doesn't work anymore; cannot power or update through the cable. Any idea what the cost would be to get that repaired?
jimg

Ed6698

I have a Whistler 1088 and the USB plug doesn't work anymore; cannot power or update through the cable. Any idea what the cost would be to get that repaired?
jimg
I don't know how much it would cost to repair the USB port, they probably have a basic repair charge, you would have to call or email Whistler.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
jimg

They have a flat rate repair charge, but call them and talk to them. they do amazing things sometimes.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Sorry I misread your thread. I was speaking of updating the programming. My apologies!

pc2053

I don't know how much it would cost to repair the USB port, they probably have a basic repair charge, you would have to call or email Whistler.
Sounds like it would be cheaper to purchase a "NEW UNIT" as compared to fixing an old scanner. Stimulus check for $600 was just released for COVID. If you can purchase a new model. As repair will certainly cost more to repair.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like it would be cheaper to purchase a "NEW UNIT" as compared to fixing an old scanner. Stimulus check for $600 was just released for COVID. If you can purchase a new model. As repair will certainly cost more to repair.
It's not going to cost anywhere near $600 to replace the broken USB jack.

k5kvn

Here’s what I found out. Hat tip to Whistler‘s quick customer service today via email and phone.
They quoted me a flat rate of $120 for my WS1095 repair situation. But they have WS1098 heads for $90. So I went with a new head, which will fix my issue, of course, and upgrade me to the numeric keypad. (y)

k5kvn

Am i reading this wrong or does the head come with the back plate, were the usb plug is
on the left side of the front case.
As far i can see this will not fix a broken usb port, its just the head only.

OMG I am an idiot. I should have caught that and wish Whistler would have, too. Thanks @SirSkinny for mentioning this.

wowologist

Certifiable
Um but the USB isnt on the head unit, it's on the left side of the main body front.

Ed6698

Oh wow am I the dummy, I don't know why I thought the USB port was on the remote head. I was not near my scanner when I mentioned the remote head. I am sorry about saying to get the new remote head to fix the USB problem.

wowologist

Certifiable
Oh wow am I the dummy, I don't know why I thought the USB port was on the remote head. I was not near my scanner when I mentioned the remote head. I am sorry about saying to get the new remote head to fix the USB problem.

To bad you wernt in the SF Bayarea, I could fix that for you in a few hours.

wowologist

Certifiable
I am not the person having the USB problem, I was the one that mentioned to k5kvn to replace remote head for the USB issue.

Uh huh..so what your really sayin' is yours dont need fixin...that's your story and yur stickin to it eh.... :)

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Unless there's physical damage to the board, I'd bet a similar or even an exact USB jack could be sourced maybe at Mouser. The old broken jack removed and the new soldered in place by an end user that has pretty good soldering skills. And of course the correct soldering tools to do the work. It's not a lot of pins involved so someone competent with performing this work should be able to do it fairly easy.
The hardest part may be sourcing a matching jack.
There's also no law that says the jack must be exact. Any jack that could be attached just for firmware updates could be used and maybe affixed out of the way somehow so it does not interfere with the remote head. Use it for firmware updates only and for normal programming, just use a card reader.
That would be the cheaper option if you don't want to spend the money to let Whistler do the work. It could also be bad if the persons soldering skills are poor. It would probably be very easy to damage the board beyond repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.