ARRL statement on the Purpose of Amateur Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The ARRL has issued the following statement in conjunction with the FCC Enforcement Bureau warning issued today:

ARRL on the Purpose of Amateur Radio

For over 100 years amateur radio and ARRL — the National Association for Amateur Radio® — have stood for the development of the science and art of communications, public service, and the enhancement of international goodwill. Amateur Radio’s long history and service to the public has solidified the well-earned reputation that “Amateur Radio saves lives.”

Amateur Radio Operators, due to their history of public service, their training, and the requirement that they be licensed by the FCC have earned their status as a component of critical communications infrastructure and as a reliable resource “when all else fails."

Amateur Radio is about development of communications and responsible public service. Its misuse is inconsistent with its history of service and its statutory charter. ARRL does not support its misuse for purposes inconsistent with these values and purposes.

I am told that the ARRL issued this statement in response to news media reports that "ham radio" had been used by the U.S. Capitol rioters on January 6, 2021.

edweirdFL

I have to question how my dues are being spent when it takes forever to get most things done (LoTW updates for instance) but they can get an email like this out the door over a 3 day holiday weekend and it still frames things from an Emmcomm perspective.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
As a 46-year Life Member of the ARRL, I thought the statement was obfuscating beyond the pale. Good grief.

Yeah, sort of like ARRL said, "Hey, hold my beer, I gotta pat myself on the back first".

Or,

Dateline 18 January 2021: W1AW pulls a muscle patting itself on the back while trying to sound relevant. Film at 11.

mr10pt

Premium Subscriber
No call sign here, yet. Over the past weekend I programmed local 2 meter freqs into my scanner. Heard a computer generated dispatch tonight stating a warning for illegal use of "their/your" transceiver and possible penalties applied. Long winded but caught my attention. BTW, Tech class student trying to keep my head from spinning.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
News Flash: People may use radios when disobeying the law. This FCC warning will put a stop those dastardly people...licensed or not.

Along with the animated gif of a horn blowing, we need another with a finger wagging for the FCC.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
The ARRL has issued the following statement in conjunction with the FCC Enforcement Bureau warning issued today:

I am told that the ARRL issued this statement in response to news media reports that "ham radio" had been used by the U.S. Capitol rioters on January 6, 2021.

You are correct OM, it was reported on the radio station I was listening to that Amateur radio was involved. That concerned me. Evidently they haven't any idea of what amateur radio is. As the old saying goes, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
I dunno...I think "when all else fails" is an apt slogan to use. The problem is "all else" isn't really going to fail in the modern era....well, short of an EMP...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I dunno...I think "when all else fails" is an apt slogan to use. The problem is "all else" isn't really going to fail in the modern era....well, short of an EMP...

Yep.
And the same EMP that wipes out the LMR systems will wipe out the ham radios.

Except for the preppers who seem to like to bury their radios in metal cans. Good Lord, I don't want to have to rely on the prepper crowd to save us...

jhooten

Yep.
And the same EMP that wipes out the LMR systems will wipe out the ham radios.

Except for the preppers who seem to like to bury their radios in metal cans. Good Lord, I don't want to have to rely on the prepper crowd to save us...

Just keep a KWM-2 or other full tube radio set up and ready. Then you are right back operational.

KB2GOM

It strikes me that a little critical thinking might come in handy here.

If someone has a link to the original article that claims that ham radio was used in the Capital riots (I tried to find it, with no success), it might be entertaining to go "upstream" on that.

For example:

- How do they know that ham radio was used?
- Was it just ham radio equipment or were ham frequencies used?
- Was a repeater used?
- What, exactly, was heard or intercepted?
- If the source of the claim that "ham radio was used" was another person (an interview, perhaps), it would be good to ask that person the same questions, etc.

Let's not just accept the bald-faced assertion that ham radio was used without some evidence. And, if it turns out that there is scant evidence, then it might be good to remind ARRL that their job is, in part, to defend amateur radio. If there is solid evidence that ham radio was used, it might suggest ways that we, fellow hams, might "come against" such activity.

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.