• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

V1.31 G2-G5 Firmware Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffhochberg

Premium Subscriber
mine crashes. this is what it says. thanks for any help!
View attachment 95954

FYI - that Distributed COM event is actually very common on Windows machines - it's not related to the Unication. You'll find it on just about every Windows 10 computer. DCOM has nothing to do with drivers - it stands for Distributed Component Object Model and is very heavily used in the software development world. It's unrelated to what we're running into with not being able to detect the G4/G5 properly.

My guess is Unication hasn't tested Windows 10 version 20H2 yet. My G5 isn't the only device I've had trouble with. I have another radio that was giving me grief the other night. I was able to work around that one, but it was a case of a device that truly needed a USB Virtual COM (serial) port.

What I've noticed when connecting my G5 is that Windows will detect it as a Network Adapter and install the Unication RNDIS driver (at first). Then the RNDIS network adapter disappears from Device Manager. A few seconds later, it's detected as a COM port which is why PPS is unable to see the radio.

I run VMware Workstation on my Windows 10 version 20H2 computer. I have a virtual machine running an older version of Windows 10. I ran that VM, installed PPS 03-16-21 with the accompanying driver, then told VMware to connect the G5 to the virtual machine. It worked perfectly.

I'm 99.9% certain this is a compatibility issue with 20H2.

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this or if I missed a message about it, but from time to time I'll be monitoring a Trunked-Scan knob with my set talkgroups, and I'll receive a transmission from a talkgroup in the same TRS but not listed under my priority or non priority groups. It acts exactly the same way as Trunked-Monitor where it doesn't show the group name, just the TG ID (unless placed in the group list). Maybe I ticked the wrong setting, but everything looks normal...

ResQguy

Meh
Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this or if I missed a message about it, but from time to time I'll be monitoring a Trunked-Scan knob with my set talkgroups, and I'll receive a transmission from a talkgroup in the same TRS but not listed under my priority or non priority groups. It acts exactly the same way as Trunked-Monitor where it doesn't show the group name, just the TG ID (unless placed in the group list). Maybe I ticked the wrong setting, but everything looks normal...

Check D-5 Private Call ID setting and make sure it's all "No Setting". That's what fixed this for me.

CFP387

And can anyone tell me about the "RSSI Cal on/off" feature?

Received Signal Strength Indicator Calibration

I have only found that when I try to turn the feature on and go to exit out of it, it will turn right back off.

It's not to be confused with AGC, or Automatic Gain Control, which is a really needed function in the G-Series line of pagers.

Reactions: RRR

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
Upgraded several G5's last night to the new firmware, now all 4 that was done will no active for conventional 2-tone. I have reprogrammed with using different profiles with no change.

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
Upgraded several G5's last night to the new firmware, now all 4 that was done will no active for conventional 2-tone. I have reprogrammed with using different profiles with no change.
Send me the file and tone timing and I will take a look.

mpreece

I fought this issue for many months, always reverting back to v1.2 which worked fine.

I finally resolved the issue by checking the timing of the transmitted tones. I discovered they did not use the standard 3/5 second tone timing and had a different page wait time. I changed the two tone settings to the wait time (750ms) and tone A and tone B length to 3500ms. Worked great ever since.

It was my mistake to presume the dispatch center was using “normal” tone lengths (silly of me!). The newer firmware was very picky whereas the 1.2 version didn’t care!

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Current Version: V03.16.24
Released: 5/2021

Are there any big changes in this PPS version?

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
Send me the file and tone timing and I will take a look.

I'm sending you my file, I was able to get the tone issues fix. The beta software at least on my end had changed the timing however now I can not getting silent, priority, or normal scanning to work which is causing issues since we are dispatched by two different counties.

emessick3

Upgraded to v1.31, now I get message "PPS does not support this device". Also updated PPS to version on download page. Device is G4,
have not had any problems at all until now. Help!! PPS does recognize device is connected.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
When will the "Scanning" firmware be out of "Beta" and actually released?

Been quite a while now

RouterRooter

Firmware Version: V1.31
PPS Version: V03.16.21
Device software (V1.31) and programming software (V03.16.21) includes numerous bug fixes to
correct issues and optimize performance. An overview of the changes included in this release are outlined
below.
Bug/Issue Fixes:
• Fixed problems with conventional VHF QCII alerting
• Fixed issue causing P25C QCII Stacked Paging Decode Failure
• Fixed issue where TGID hold timer would only count down when the pager screen is active
• Fixed issue that caused pager to crash when changing knob positions in some zones
• Fixed issue where pager would not connect to PPS while screen off & would not charge until the screen turned on
• Fixed issue where pager would randomly reset when programmed with a large programming file
• Fixed issue in PPS that caused software to shut down when attempting to write a profile to pager
• Fixed issue when a P25 TG is received, and voice transmission is over, the squelch that opened speaker kept speaker
on with a hissing sound
• Fixed issue causing pager to lock up while navigating the settings menu
• Fixed lost audio issues, where received message audio would not play through speaker and recorded messages
would not play back
• Fixed issue of pager receiving messages while powered off and charging (Green LED flashes and screen lights up
showing "charging full")
• Fixed issue where pager decoded while powered off in the Amp Charger
• Fixed issue where during off duty state the voice record would continue for 10 minutes
• Fixed issue when 2-tone is sent from P25 Conventional channel on console, after tones end during hang time a
different TGID and ID is seen on the screen and the pager reset
• Various other under the hood fixes and improvements to optimize performance
PPS Changes/ Feature Modifications:
• Added “Factory Setting” function that allows user to reset pager to original factory settings
• Added new Radio Reference import process (for Radio Reference premium members)

I am having trouble with the relay. My relay is hooked to a horn. After the pager tones open the radio I get a horn. This is the correct operation. Here is my problem. When the dispatcher's carrier drops I get a horn again. This is not correct. After the dispatcher's carrier drops the radio squelch stays open for a few seconds more allowing other traffic to be heard and each time other traffic is heard the horn sounds. Depending on radio traffic I can get 7 or 8 horns. This is unacceptable. Only the first horn is wanted. Does this firmware upgrade fix this? BTW, how about a button to push (reset) to open the squelch manually to listen to see if the radio is receiving OK? My current G4 firmware is version V1.20. Thanks in advance.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
I am having trouble with the relay. My relay is hooked to a horn. After the pager tones open the radio I get a horn. This is the correct operation. Here is my problem. When the dispatcher's carrier drops I get a horn again. This is not correct. After the dispatcher's carrier drops the radio squelch stays open for a few seconds more allowing other traffic to be heard and each time other traffic is heard the horn sounds. Depending on radio traffic I can get 7 or 8 horns. This is unacceptable. Only the first horn is wanted. Does this firmware upgrade fix this? BTW, how about a button to push (reset) to open the squelch manually to listen to see if the radio is receiving OK? My current G4 firmware is version V1.20. Thanks in advance.

What connector are you using? For alert relay, you want the din connector, not the green one. The green connector closes anytime there is audio.

bbo14

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know how to select volume reduction by talkgroup? One of our local FD's talkgroups is for ALERT, automated voice (text to speech) to page out stations. It is EXTREMELY LOUD. If I turn the volume down so it is comfortable, all other talkgroups are so low as to be illegible. Perhaps this would be a good addition to the next s/w upgrade? Thanks for reading.

Reactions: RRR
Status
Not open for further replies.