• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MOTOTRBO Ion Smart Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

dietlein

PACNWDude

Thank you for posting. I heard rumors about this new series from a radio vendor. However, my Motorola rep said he could not divulge anything until "First Quarter 2021" but did not have an official date. Me, and my co-workers assumed it would look like the APX Next and be priced too high to realistically implement across a large enterprise. But, we shall see. We do primarily use UHF and 800 MHz, and some office workers want a larger screen than all of the current Trbo equipment, XPR4550/5550e mobiles and 6550/7550e handhelds. PTT from LTE to LMR radio has also been proposed, but is a pipe dream in our use.

Too bad Motorola does not allow promiscuous mode on their TDMA products, may have had to get one for personal use if the cost was not prohibitive.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
OK, so it looks cool. From the manual:
1) It says only 3w on high power, not 4
2) SIM Card is proprietary and locked to the phone
3) What frequencies are UHF "wideband"? 403-512mhz maybe. Google didn't help.
4) What is the UHF analog receive sensitivity?

twjr80

Feed Provider
OK, so it looks cool. From the manual:
1) It says only 3w on high power, not 4
2) SIM Card is proprietary and locked to the phone
3) What frequencies are UHF "wideband"? 403-512mhz maybe. Google didn't help.
4) What is the UHF analog receive sensitivity?
Under Table 13 DMR Transmitter, it states "RF Output Power: High: 4W Low: 1W"

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
Yes, twjr80 you are correct my half-asleep ass was looking at the audio output. DUH
I also found analog receive sensitivity at
Analog Sensitivity (12dB SINAD)
0.16 uV
This is half as good as most Uniden scanners and the MotoTrbos mostly rated .32 uV

dietlein

n1das

Too bad Motorola does not allow promiscuous mode on their TDMA products, may have had to get one for personal use if the cost was not prohibitive.

Page 98 of 128:
1611787552617.png

Is this Digital Carrier-Operated Squelch option Motorola's name for Promiscuous Mode?
Is the network access code in Moto-speak aka Color Code in DMR-speak?

Last edited:

n1das

And there it is:

Me want! :D *DROOL* :D

Anybody know how much $,$$$$.$$ it will cost?

Last edited:

n1das

Yes, twjr80 you are correct my half-asleep ass was looking at the audio output. DUH
I also found analog receive sensitivity at
Analog Sensitivity (12dB SINAD)
0.16 uV
This is half as good as most Uniden scanners and the MotoTrbos mostly rated .32 uV

Actually 2x better sensitivity. Lower is better sensitivity. Most Uniden scanners require 0.32uV at the antenna connector for 12dB SINAD. This is only half as good as 0.16uV signal input required for 12dB SINAD at the Ion's antenna connector to produce the same amount of noise quieting in the receiver.

I want one of these but I need to sell some of my Hytera DMR radios first. :D

Last edited:

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Page 98 of 128:
(*snip*)
Is this Digital Carrier-Operated Squelch option Motorola's name for Promiscuous Mode?
Is the network access code in Moto-speak aka Color Code in DMR-speak?
That looks an awful lot like they copied and pasted the squelch description from an Astro (i.e. P25) radio as those terms and functions don't apply to TRBO at all (but fit Astro). I'll bet it's just barely more than a rough draft that they submitted to the FCC for approval.

PACNWDude

Now, I am curious about what the actual squelch functions will be, seeing previous posts. However, once again, I have received more and better info here than from my own Motorola salesman, who said Ion Trbo radios would be announced sometime "first quarter 2021" and I see it announced on Motorola solutions website yesterday. Well after seeing it here on RadioReference. Good job on those who found the FCC docs, manual and posted it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.