SDS100/SDS200: DID I MAKE A MISTAKE?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrn8waq

Ok, after a lot of looking at, and reading different forums, I pulled the trigger on the SDS100. I have down loaded Sentinel, and Proscan, and I am overwhelmed!!! I am an Extra class ham, and I am pretty well versed in CTCSS, Offset, and all the normal ham stuff, but I am concerned. Is this piece of equipment that complicated (I have 4 D-Star stations, HF, etc). Can anyone offer some advice to make this a little less cumbersome? I will be checking out youtube tomorrow, scanner is due here Monday.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Baby steps. Install sentinel. Hook up scanner. Install full database. Disconnect. Set your zip code. Start with 10 miles distance. Set what services you want to listen to. Adjust from there. Once your comfortable, start making favorites. KISS method.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
RTFM:
This makes it a (bit) easier...
Easier to Read SDS100/200 Digital Scanner Manual

No... you didn't make a mistake. Being a ham, you probably have some brains and it really isn't that hard.
Even w/ me being an engineer, I got flustered at 1st also - I actually returned my 1st TRX-1 because it was basically dead quiet.
Nope - it was 100% me, so been there - done that.

Read Mark's easier to read (link) and take time to understand the basics. It is a bit different, but once you understand the basic structure of FLs / QKs, etc, it all will make sense. Add to that GPS and this is a very powerful tool.

And, we are here to help.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It probably is no more complicated than a smart TV or phone. More getting the hang of it than anything. We all had our moments with the dreaded learning curve, but we got over it.

Youtube and this place are your best friends.

No one ever ruined a scanner with bad programming, so no fear there. Every mistake advances your knowledge.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Been there, done that.

I’m also a ham that’s been involved with scanners since the very first ones came out. The latest for Uniden is the SDS series. They have a steep learning curve. The previous models (BCD436HP & BCD536HP) are almost identical in features and also have the same learning curve. But that learning curve is well worth the effort. After you’ve spent some time with the SDS100 you will come to appreciate the logical manner in which they designed the features. They mostly have to do with how the radio’s memory works. There are so many options as to how we store the many different data points, we end up forgetting about one or two of them. And that gets us into trouble. But as I’ve said, once it comes to you, and you see the logic to Quick Keys, Avoid and Service Types, it becomes clear.

N4DJC

The SDS series is pretty easy to get up and running initially, digging deeper into favorite lists, systems, location control Et al. is more complex. Having knowledge of your area systems and exactly which ones you want to monitor will be very important in enjoying your scanner.

wbswetnam

I don't have the SDS100 (yet!) but I have both the 436HP and 536HP, and the programming and set up is virtually identical across all of those models. Sentinel takes some getting used to. It's not very intuitive, and I have to admit that Whistler's programming software (EZScan) is a lot simpler and logical to work with. Still, once you master Sentinel, you've mastered the SDS100. You'll be happy you got it, I'm certain! :)

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
There are a lot of threads here on RR regarding this very topic. The scanner can be intimidating at first, no matter how much experience you have. NONE of the documentation (including easier-to-read) has the information needed. Plus due to the customization nature of these radios, that makes specific directions more difficult.

Some will say there are a lot of videos on You Tube. Personally I stuck with Sentinel and worked through the issues. I decided to use Favorites (which is something I had to totally program), rather than the zip code feature. I had an advantage in that I already had other model radios programmed the way I wanted the SDS programmed. I decided to "master" my programming in Excel so I could more easily (for me) translate to each radio to be programmed.

I think one thing people want is to get sound out of this thing as quickly as they can once opening the box. That can slow progress to getting it programmed as you desire. There is a ton of stuff here on RR, I doubt you could get through it all before the radio arrives. I'd suggest downloading Sentinel and getting yourself comfortable with how it works.

GregOH

Download Sentinel and walk through it while watching the video below. You can have Sentinel ready to program the scanner before it's delivered to you.

jrn8waq

Thanks for all the replies, and input! I have downloaded Sentinel, and Proscan (free version) and have been snooping around on YouTube. I feel a little more comfortable about the rig, and all of the capabilities it has. I will keep you posted on my advancement with this new rig!

jrn8waq

Well, I have the radio, and I have gotten up and running with the zip code scan, however being so close to Canada I am also getting a ton of Ontario stations, That is ok, it is a start. I am starting to try some favorites, got 4 favorites loaded in the radio (not 100% sure they are done correctly). The first one I can scan and it works as it should, the other 3 keep responding with the infamous "nothing to scan". Still trying to sort these things out, and trying to do more with just the radio as you may not always have a computer available. Any suggestions, I have been reading the easier to read manual on Marks Scanners, but still not clicking completely

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Well, I have the radio, and I have gotten up and running with the zip code scan, however being so close to Canada I am also getting a ton of Ontario stations, That is ok, it is a start. I am starting to try some favorites, got 4 favorites loaded in the radio (not 100% sure they are done correctly). The first one I can scan and it works as it should, the other 3 keep responding with the infamous "nothing to scan". Still trying to sort these things out, and trying to do more with just the radio as you may not always have a computer available. Any suggestions, I have been reading the easier to read manual on Marks Scanners, but still not clicking completely
For the three Favorites lists that you indicate are giving you the 'nothing to scan' message, are they set to location, while the one that is working is not?

Have you looked at this Wiki page?

This is another post that addresses 'nothing to scan'

GregOH

Any suggestions, I have been reading the easier to read manual on Marks Scanners, but still not clicking completely
Do you have the MPSCS system as favorite? If not, I would open Sentinel, update the database, left click on USA and then Michigan and then right click on MPSCS and left click on append to favorites.

If you already have a system as a favorite and want to add a talkgroup you don't have, you would do this (I'm using my Ohio MARCS system as an example) (press scroll knob when making selections)...

Press the menu button, Manage Favorites>>> MARCS-IP>>> Review/Edit System>>> Ohio MARCS-IP>>> Edit Department>>> New Department>>> Edit Name>>> turn knob to select letters and use cursor soft keys below the display to move right or left. Use No Pri key to create a space. Press knob when done Editing Name. >>>Edit Channel>>> enter tgid number with number keys>>> push control knob or “E” key.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the SDS club. I got mine last Friday. with almost 50 years of scanner experience I find it the most complicated scanner I have ever used. With trial & error and after making a few mistakes you will start to understand the differences of how the radio is programmed versus other models. Don't expect to have the scanner mastered in a few days, as said above take baby steps and don't try to listen to everything the radio downloads with your zip code at first.
There is much help here in the forums, on You Tube, and online in general for the questions you may have.
Thanks, Randy

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I know two people who gave up on the hobby period after buying SDS200's. They just got frustrated to the point they had enough and that was it, no more. The one guy listens online, but misses a lot doing it that way.

I grabbed up my second one from one of them for $400. Not bad for an almost new SDS200.

GregOH

I think learning the settings, navigating through menu options and programming by hand helps better understand Sentinel.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
There is a learning curve, but most of it is due to the complexity of modern trunked radio systems. Investing the time to learn the unit is well worth it.
Agreed ... every time I see someone complain about how complex SDS scanners are, I think this exact point.
Could Sentinel be a little more user-friendly, sure, but most of the complexity is unavoidable.

Status
Not open for further replies.