BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Programming scanner help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbf1230

Premium Subscriber
I am a new premium subscriber and recently purchased a Uniden BCD436HP scanner. I would like help programming it. It came with software, but I am dumbfounded by it. The last scanner I had was analogue only and before the days of home computers and the internet, so I am new to this way of programming a scanner. I'll check for your replies this afternoon. Thanks in advance, Wes.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
welcome to the club! Go on youtube and look up programming the BCD436 using sentinel software- it will show you how to import from Radio Reference. Stop back here if you still have questions. Programming with software looks daunting at first but you will get the hang of it pretty quickly.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
The easiest way is you can purchase your scanner pre-programmed from a dealer such as Scanner Master. Or, another way to program is to subscribe to RadioReference.com as a premium subscriber and pick and choose what you want to download into your programming software. Or, use the Sentinel programming that Uniden offers free and do the same thing. But you must become familiar with the programming in order to do this. But for my money, anyone who is in the same situation as you, where you haven’t had any experiences with the newer scanners is to try finding someone local to you that’s willing to show you how it’s done.

Manually programming (entering the data only using the keypad) would take a month of Sundays, and that’s only if you know what you are doing. Radio Reference has a Forum that lists groups of users by state. A quick post to the group in your state asking for help may get you a meeting locally with someone who can help. Or, post here with your location. Maybe you’ll get lucky and find someone here that lives around the corner from you! I’ve helped out a couple of people in Ct., one who just wanted to compare his SDS100 with mine to learn if it was receiving properly, and another who cared nothing about learning how to program-just wanted me to set it up with what he was interested in. I knew what his first question was going to be after I plugged in his programming... “What if I want to add something?” Uh, give me a call? Or learn how it’s done?

wbf1230

Premium Subscriber
welcome to the club! Go on youtube and look up programming the BCD436 using sentinel software- it will show you how to import from Radio Reference. Stop back here if you still have questions. Programming with software looks daunting at first but you will get the hang of it pretty quickly.
Thanks, I watched a vid on favorite lists but it didn't show how to import from radio reference. How is that done?

Thanks Wes

wbf1230

Premium Subscriber
The easiest way is you can purchase your scanner pre-programmed from a dealer such as Scanner Master. Or, another way to program is to subscribe to RadioReference.com as a premium subscriber and pick and choose what you want to download into your programming software. Or, use the Sentinel programming that Uniden offers free and do the same thing. But you must become familiar with the programming in order to do this. But for my money, anyone who is in the same situation as you, where you haven’t had any experiences with the newer scanners is to try finding someone local to you that’s willing to show you how it’s done.

Manually programming (entering the data only using the keypad) would take a month of Sundays, and that’s only if you know what you are doing. Radio Reference has a Forum that lists groups of users by state. A quick post to the group in your state asking for help may get you a meeting locally with someone who can help. Or, post here with your location. Maybe you’ll get lucky and find someone here that lives around the corner from you! I’ve helped out a couple of people in Ct., one who just wanted to compare his SDS100 with mine to learn if it was receiving properly, and another who cared nothing about learning how to program-just wanted me to set it up with what he was interested in. I knew what his first question was going to be after I plugged in his programming... “What if I want to add something?” Uh, give me a call? Or learn how it’s done?
Yeah. I purchased from Amazon. I didn't know about scanner master pre programming them until I already had the scanner. Wes

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I watched a vid on favorite lists but it didn't show how to import from radio reference. How is that done?

Thanks Wes
If you want to "import channels & systems' from RadioReference, then you would need to use software such as ProScan, or ARC536. However, you can append systems from the database in Sentinel to a Favorites list. Update the database using Sentinel, then write the updated database to the scanner.

There are a number of Wiki pages that cover features and operating tips for your scanner. Start with this one:
That's the first page of a two page set. The link to the second page is on that page.

Among the many YouTube videos that concern your 436HP, is this one from the late UPMan. It shows how to start creating a Favorites list by appending from the main database.

You can always get started by using the main database, plus your location & a range, to scan systems in range. Be sure that the Service Types you want to monitor are enabled. When shipped, or Sentinel is first installed, the only active Public Safety Service types are for Dispatch: Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, and Multi-Dispatch. Also enable the Tac & Talk types, such as Law Talk, Fire Tac.
Yeah. I purchased from Amazon. I didn't know about scanner master pre programming them until I already had the scanner. Wes
While you can order your scanner pre-programmed, or purchase an already programmed memory card, from ScannerMaster, you're better off creating your own programming. The 'programming' provided is by appending systems from Sentinel's database, which you can do yourself & save the $60 (that's for one county; adding more increases the cost).

You have not included your location. You might consider having this thread moved to the forum for your state. There, you might be able to find another member from your area that would be willing to share a programming file to get you started.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
This is a good video on creating a Favorites List which is in a round about way imports from RR database:

Most importantly, give yourself permission to make mistakes - we all have made them. You can't hurt your scanner with bad programming.

Trial and error are good teachers. You never know how something will work until you try it.

wbf1230

Premium Subscriber
I have managed to create a favorites list. I still can't figure out quick keys. Is it possible to set, for example, the scanner to go to TN Highway Patrol by pressing 1? The above video is good but it seems the current version of Sentinal is different than when the video was made.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have managed to create a favorites list. I still can't figure out quick keys. Is it possible to set, for example, the scanner to go to TN Highway Patrol by pressing 1? The above video is good but it seems the current version of Sentinal is different than when the video was made.
You can set it to "jump" to a specific channel or system using Number Tags. See this Wiki page for more on bith Quick keys as well as Number Tags.
Uniden BCDx36HP Quick Keys and Number Tags - The RadioReference Wiki

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I am a new premium subscriber and recently purchased a Uniden BCD436HP scanner. I would like help programming it. It came with software, but I am dumbfounded by it. The last scanner I had was analogue only and before the days of home computers and the internet, so I am new to this way of programming a scanner. I'll check for your replies this afternoon. Thanks in advance, Wes.

To get up and running quickly until you get everything figured out, check your manual regarding the Zip Code method of programming. Basically you enter your Zip Code, desired Services and Range (start at 2-5 miles) and you're up and running!

Ubbe

Is it possible to set, for example, the scanner to go to TN Highway Patrol by pressing 1?
It's always a three digit sequence to enter. While you are in scan mode your are using quick keys and if you stop scan by making a hold the quick keys disappear and you have number tags instead and instead of ending with Enter for QK you end by the Channel button.

You have to look in Sentinel where Uniden have set quick keys and where they have set the number tags.

Quick keys are more or less equal to old scanners bank selection that you switch something on and off from scan.

If you want to go to a certain talk group and monitor only that, you stop scan by pushing the channel button and then enter the Favorite lists number tag followed by a dot and then the systems number follow by a dot and finally the TG's number tag follow by the channel button. The scanner will jump to that TG and monitor only that.

Conventional frequencies number tags work the same but the TG are replaced by a frequencys number tag.

When doing a TG number tag selection the first site in the system also gets a hold. I think that it has to be a bug as there's no reason to make a hold on a site that might not even be within range. All sites enabled in a system should be scanned, but they are not.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.