Antenna(s) for multiple scanners -- how does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airdorn

Hi, Antenna-ers!

So I already have a Uniden scanner. I'm thinking of getting one of those snazzy Uniden SDS200 scanners to add to the mix.

I have a nice antenna on my roof. A couple, actually.

I have one that points at a certain very-active-but-kind-of-weak system. Can I get a BNC splitter and just split the antenna signal like that without a terrible loss?

Taken to its logical conclusion, if I add 8 more scanners (for a total of 10), can they all just feed off the same antenna? What's the limit before the signal degrades? Surely 100 scanners can't reasonably feed off a single antenna! :)

I'm mainly dealing with 400Mhz and 800Mhz signals.

Thanks!

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
If you want to feed several scanners off one antenna, look into the Stridsberg multicouplers. Made just for this. Available in several configurations.

If it was just 2 and you were going off very good / strong signals, you can sometimes get away with things. But with that many, get the good stuff and be happy. Using cheaper stuff doesn’t seem to play well with weaker signals (I’ve just slapped a T adapter in before and found it to add interference and definitely take a hit).

You might even want 2 - a 4 port perhaps for your weaker signal one, then an 8 port to feed the rest when you have your 10 scanners ;)

Just two cents from someone who’s messed with a few of the cheap routes a bit now and knows he should be investing in the good stuff one day to keep signals at their optimal levels.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A multicoupler is definitely the way to go when using a single antenna to feed multiple scanners. I'm also using a Stridsberg.

Ubbe

Can I get a BNC splitter and just split the antenna signal like that without a terrible loss?
It depends of scanners and what frequency bands they are scanning. It could be a minimal loss or a very noticeable one depending of which frequency band the scanners are currently in.

A CATV splitter and a low noise amplifier together with some attenuation will in most cases improve weak signal reception and make it possible to split signals to several scanners.

Use of BNC splitters

/Ubbe

mr10pt

Premium Subscriber
I only need a 2 port multicoupler. Looking at the Stridsberg options there's a "passive" multicoupler that "splits" a signal, in phase, to the ports. They have one in the correct frequency range. Does not appear to need dc power. Will this work or is it a bad idea because of the word "split"? Stridsberg MC202 v/s MCA202M/N. I do have the N connector on my LMR400 cable.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A passive 2-port splitter has a loss of a little over 3dB. That's not too bad in most cases. But if you have more than 2 outputs, you likely want an amplifier to offset the splitter loss.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Do they require a DC Outlet? I was looking into a 2 outputs. Looks like I need 2 of them 1 for vhf/uhf and 7/800

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Amplified, yes, passive, no.

If you're splitting by band, a diplexer is what you want. The output is sorted by frequency range, but loss is less than 3dB.

Ubbe

Do they require a DC Outlet? I was looking into a 2 outputs. Looks like I need 2 of them 1 for vhf/uhf and 7/800
Those passive CATV 3dB splitters do not need power. They usually handle way below 25MHz up to more than 2GHz frequencies. 3dB equal to a half S value on a S meter and scanners usually has 5 or 6dB per segment in its signal strenght bars.

/Ubbe

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
That's the unit I use. It splits the output from a discone antenna to 4 scanners, each of which monitors multiple bands.
I notice it says 25mhz to 1ghz. I was looking at it months ago it was sold out. I have a base 1 handheld and 1 for dsdplus. Right now I have 2 antennas 1 is for dsdplus the other for base. I was looking at the ones that has the bnc connectors so I don't need bunch adapters........

mr10pt

Premium Subscriber
Thank you jonweinke, buddroussa and Ubbe. I take your advise as "golden". Guys that have been there, done that. Any newbie should pay attention to their advice. They won't steer you wrong. Reading between the lines I've decided to purchase a DC powered unit. One other question: I have LMR400 coming in, what should I use for a 4-6' patch or pigtail? Would RG6 work ok?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Thank you jonweinke, buddroussa and Ubbe. I take your advise as "golden". Guys that have been there, done that. Any newbie should pay attention to their advice. They won't steer you wrong. Reading between the lines I've decided to purchase a DC powered unit. One other question: I have LMR400 coming in, what should I use for a 4-6' patch or pigtail? Would RG6 work ok?
I wouldn't mix impedance for jumpers, there are plenty of 50-ohm options that will work just fine.

And you're welcome.

lu81fitter

Just for the record, I use 2 diplexers. One in the car that merges 2 antennas to one radio, and one in the house the merges an all band antenna to 2 radios. They work as advertised. I'm very happy with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.