BCD436HP vs SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradyomalia

Live near 96th/Allisonville and like to monitor Hamilton and Marion Counties. Currently have BCD436HP. In comparison to SDS100, what am I missing/lacking? Trying to decide if upgrading is worth it and necessary. Thanks for your input!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The main differences between the 436 and SDS100 are simulcast reception and the screen. If there aren't any simulcast systems in your area, and you don't intend to travel with your scanner, there's not a lot of benefit to upgrading. But if there are, upgrading can make a huge difference.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Hi there:
A simple search of the forums will reveal numerous threads comparing the two scanners: like this one or this one. With that out of the way, one major difference is the SDS100's large color display which allows for more detailed info to be displayed vs the 436HP. Another HUGE difference is the way they're powered: SDS100 via a battery pack vs the 436HP's AA batteries

fredva

Feed Provider
Your area has simulcast for public safety. Do you receive a lot of garbled transmissions? Is your scanner missing transmissions? (That can be hard to tell, but sometimes you can compare what you are receiving to an online scanner feed.) If the answer is yes to either of those, you may very well benefit from the SDS-100. The biggest benefit from an SDS is the ability to clearly decode simulcast systems.

GTO_04

I have not tried a 436/536 for Hamilton County. The only receivers for me that work consistently are the SDS100/200 or the Unication G5.
The Hamilton County simulcast system is a tough one for digital scanners to decode. If you are having trouble with the system on your 436/536, than an upgrade is in order.

GTO_04

newbieham0

Premium Subscriber
New to all this but after doing some research on both the SDS100 and SDS200 decided on the SDS200 for my home base scanner and would probably go with a Unication G5 as my portable after reading this review on the SDS100: Uniden SDS100 review - SDR technology - By Larry Van Horn N5FPW
The Uniden SDS200 is a great unit. The 436 does everything pretty well except P25 simulcast the SDS200 picks up everything.
Ref: BCD436HP P25 simulcast

Attachments

• Brochure.pdf
    106.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

newbieham0

Premium Subscriber
Well as my user name implies (Newbie) here, just jumping in on all this. Got my ham license a few years ago but had to put the hobby on hold to attend to other matters. Just ran across this thread now so the G5 seems to be a bit more complicated than I thought. https://forums.radioreference.com/t...e-unification-five-works.414117/#post-3380176
Also I have the Uniden BCD436HP as well and have only picked up P25 Florida Power and Light out here. P25 Police - nothing at all.
Mind you I have the SDS200 and it picks it up just fine. Tried everything on the 436 that would cause an issue (favorites list, service types, programing) and still not scanning P25 Police. So what could it be?

newbieham0

Premium Subscriber
Probably something I am doing wrong with the BCD436HP, going back after reading the manual tonight and resetting it and try it again tomorrow. Overall I really like the Uniden BCD436HP unit, I got the hard case the other day (great quality) and ordered the Remtronix 810-S and should be coming soon. Hope I work out this issue soon.

fredva

Feed Provider
Tried everything on the 436 that would cause an issue (favorites list, service types, programing) and still not scanning P25 Police. So what could it be?
If you can't find a programming problem, try taking the 436 to a different location and see if your reception is any better. Simulcast will cause non-compatible scanners to miss transmissions. Literally missing every transmission would be a really bad case of simulcast distortion. Simulcast effects vary depending on location.

friendlybob

I bought an SDS100 and in my area, NW Indiana, it made an enormous difference between the two. I absolutely loved it so much, I replaced both of my BCD 536's with SDS200's. The audio is better, the reception is better and there are channels I couldn't even get that are banging in. You WILL NOT be disappointed. I got mine from Zip Scanners and paid over time with Affirm for all of them.

GTO_04

If you don't plan on traveling with it, or don't need a handheld scanner, you may be better off with an SDS200. The SDS200 has less breakdowns/failures than the 100.

I bought an SDS100 and in my area, NW Indiana, it made an enormous difference between the two. I absolutely loved it so much, I replaced both of my BCD 536's with SDS200's. The audio is better, the reception is better and there are channels I couldn't even get that are banging in. You WILL NOT be disappointed. I got mine from Zip Scanners and paid over time with Affirm for all of them.

Agreed! And since the SDS200 PC boards have more surface area, the circuits are less crammed together and there is less chance of crosstalk.
I can listen to so much more and have a lot more range on 800 compared to other scanners. I find that have so many systems and TGs programmed, I wind up missing some of the local traffic lol.

GTO_04

Status
Not open for further replies.