Icom: Is the IC-9700 worth the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
In my shack I currently have a TM-281A for VHF and a TK-8150 for the little bit of UHF I do. I was looking to update my VHF capabilities a bit, and get something that will make logging a bit easier (N1MM) when I do some contests. I was also hoping for an easy way to do PSK, RTTY and FT8 on 2m.

I don't really want a shack in the box option, as I have no need to replace my FT-450D or IC-7300. I do really like the waterfall on my 7300, and the thoughts of playing with SSB on 2m is tempting. Is the 9700 worth the $1500 price tag? I don't exactly see other "base station" transceivers for 2m/70cm. the 1.2GHz is a plus, but not a deciding factor, it would get used in my area though.

Any other options for compatibility with N1MM?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
As far as I know, the IC-9700 is the only current-production all-mode VHF/UHF transceiver.

The Yaesu FT-991A is an all-mode HF radio plus VHF/UHF.

Other possibilities would be a used radio. Several candidates from Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu that are all-mode and include VHF/UHF.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
The 9700 is a great radio..

As far as being worth it... The radio is designed for weak signal and satellite work. If you go to the Icom USA site and look at the rig, the very first line in the description is " Built with the VHF/UHF weak signal operator in mind". If those are your main operating modes, then yes it's worth it.

I use SSB/CW & digital modes far more than I talk on the local FM repeaters. (I go on 144.150 Mhz just about every morning looking to make meteor scatter contacts). Plus I have a 1.2 gHz D-Star repeater in range that lets me use DD mode (Internet access @ 128K). Those were were my reasons for making the purchase.

Of course, if you can afford one without having to scrimp somewhere else, there's no reason not to buy a 9700 even if you don't use all the features.

toolman60

If I did not have 2 FT-736R I would not think twice on getting the 9700. I looked at getting 1 to replace my antiques never did make the jump.

N4DJC

The 9700 is a lot of radio.

I bought mine for satellites. Sadly, I‘m not sure I’ll be able to install an antenna system up to the capabilities of the 9700. It’s a nice rig with a tremendous amount of features for the money.

Last edited:

prcguy

My 9700 basically sits on one 2m simplex freq and one of my UHF repeater freqs 24/7. I occasionally use it on 2m SSB like once a month. Is it worth the price to me? Yes, its way better in big signal handling capability than the older Icom IC-275H it replaced, which would complain and unsquelch when I transmitted with other radios on 6m or 10m.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
As far as I know, the IC-9700 is the only current-production all-mode VHF/UHF transceiver.

Other possibilities would be a used radio. Several candidates from Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu that are all-mode and include VHF/UHF.
I've thought of getting a 7100 or 991 and using it for only 2m/70cm, but the price difference pretty small.

What are the used options that would work with N1MM and have a digital interface/soundcard?

The 9700 is a great radio..

As far as being worth it... The radio is designed for weak signal and satellite work. If you go to the Icom USA site and look at the rig, the very first line in the description is " Built with the VHF/UHF weak signal operator in mind". If those are your main operating modes, then yes it's worth it.

I use SSB/CW & digital modes far more than I talk on the local FM repeaters. (I go on 144.150 Mhz just about every morning looking to make meteor scatter contacts). Plus I have a 1.2 gHz D-Star repeater in range that lets me use DD mode (Internet access @ 128K). Those were were my reasons for making the purchase.

Of course, if you can afford one without having to scrimp somewhere else, there's no reason not to buy a 9700 even if you don't use all the features.
I would probably play more with weak signal stuff, plus try more satellite stuff. I would think the 100W is a plus.

The 9700 is a lot of radio.

I bought mine for satellites. Sadly, I‘m not sure I’ll be able to install an antenna system up to the capabilities of the 9700. It’s a nice rig with a tremendous amount of features for the money.
It does appear from the reviews and videos to be a lot of radio.

My 9700 basically sits on one 2m simplex freq and one of my UHF repeater freqs 24/7. I occasionally use it on 2m SSB like once a month. Is it worth the price to me? Yes, its way better in big signal handling capability than the older Icom IC-275H it replaced, which would complain and unsquelch when I transmitted with other radios on 6m or 10m.
That's good to know. I was wondering how it compared.

Well, it sound like I need to start budgeting for a 9700, or find the deal of a lifetime.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
What are the used options that would work with N1MM and have a digital interface/soundcard?
None that I know of. Icom led the way with the built-in sound cards but mostly on HF radios...the IC-7100 and IC-9100 being the exception.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Don't forget the 9700 is plug and play remote control over the Internet using the RS-BA1 software. I've used the rig many times this way when on travel and its a great feature.
I forgot it has a direct network connection. Is the RS-BA1 built in, or is that a sperate purchase? Either way, that's also a huge plus.

RR & DX Engineering being 15 minutes away is a bad influence on my bank account.

prcguy

The server is built in the radio meaning direct connection to your router and no host computer is needed. You would need to purchase RS-BA1 but I think most people have it traded among friends, which I am not advocating even though.....uhhh, never mind.

Do it, buy it now! You know you want it bad. Its just plastic money and nobody will know for weeks until the bill comes, and by then you will be an expert with it and can justify everything.

Just do it.

I forgot it has a direct network connection. Is the RS-BA1 built in, or is that a sperate purchase? Either way, that's also a huge plus.

RR & DX Engineering being 15 minutes away is a bad influence on my bank account.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber

The Yaesu FT-991A is an all mode radio. It will do AM, CW, LSB and USB in 2m and 70cm, as well.

prcguy

Yes the 991 will do all those things but on 2m and 70cm not anywhere near as well as a 9700. There is a reason the all band 991 is about $1,100 and the VHF/UHF only 9700 is around $1,500. The 9700 is the best performing VHF/UHF rig built to date.

The Yaesu FT-991A is an all mode radio. It will do AM, CW, LSB and USB in 2m and 70cm, as well.

N4DJC

I must say, after owning my 9700 for a while now, it been money well spent. I can't recall enjoying a VHF/UHF radio as much in many years.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Just to revisit this thread.. I'm still pleased with mine. I'm making the move to 1.2 gHz in a big way.

This month, I ordered a 45 element loop Yagi for 1296 Mhz and a Comet GP-95 tri-band vertical.. (It includes 23cm as well as 144/440). Still shopping for a 'brick' style 1296 power amp in the 60W range for SSB/CW/Digital.

I still can't say I'm using all the rig's capabilities until I ge set up for satellite.. Maybe this fall.

cistercian

I think it is too expensive and would get it used. I don't use 1.2 ghz so that is certainly a factor.
I have a IC-9100 I bought as a backup for my 7410 on hf. It was fire sale priced just before the 9700 came
out. It does all hf bands in all modes as well as 2 meters at 100w all modes and 440 @ 75 watts all modes.
It cost about as much as my 7410 did! I thought the price I paid for it was a bargain.
I got the DSTAR module and the 3 and 6kc roofing filters for it as well. It is a fantastic rig.

N4DJC

Just to revisit this thread.. I'm still pleased with mine. I'm making the move to 1.2 gHz in a big way.

This month, I ordered a 45 element loop Yagi for 1296 Mhz and a Comet GP-95 tri-band vertical.. (It includes 23cm as well as 144/440). Still shopping for a 'brick' style 1296 power amp in the 60W range for SSB/CW/Digital.

I still can't say I'm using all the rig's capabilities until I ge set up for satellite.. Maybe this fall.

I doubt few owners use all the capabilities....

I monitor FM repeaters, and D Star. When a satellite is coming up with a good pass, I'm ready in a few minutes. The switch to satellite takes less than a minute and I have my Arrow set up ready to go as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.