Pi feed hum heard when using audio splitter but not direct

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott

Feed Provider
After 11 years of broadcasting on RR, I decided I want to hear the audio I'm sending to broadcastify so I added a speaker adjacent my scanner to hear the scanner audio real-time using 3.5mm splitter. The new splitter (also tried various brands) or some conjunction of new cabling creates a hum on the feed audio. Remove the splitter and it's cabling and the hum goes away. The only way I get rid of the hum is going back to the single line-in feed without the splitter.

I tried 3 different splitters and 3 unique audio cables thinking it was a hardware issue but all present the same sound. And I verified the cable is pushed all the way in to the female so the connectors are not rubbing. Any variation of these cabling creates a hum on the line. I broadcast on Raspberry Pi's so I also tried HDMI cables with an even worse result. I then tried a line-out cable to hear the audio after it has been processed by the Pi, but that too creates a hum. I use Darkice but don't see that as an issue since the hum disappears when I unplug the cabling. All powered devices are fed through a grounded server rack so I don't see grounding as an issue.

I found a rather old forum mentioned a ground loop isolator. I don't hear the hum without the splitter. Would a ground loop isolator help in this case? I have 3 separate feeds with the same issue so is there a hub isolator or would I need 1 isolator per feed? Any advice is welcome as I prefer keep the feed audio output as clean as possible.

scott

Feed Provider
It's not a powered speaker but good question. And you guys are right. I ordered one ground loop isolator last week and installed it Friday on one of my 3 feeds. That corrected the issue. I ordered 2 more and will install them on my other feeds Tuesday so I'll post an update to confirm that fixed the issue for all feeds.

Point to note for broadcasters that run into this issue. I first installed the isolator at the end of the audio line where it enters the Pi, but that created a weird tunneling noise on the feed. I had to install the isolator behind the splitter for the functionality to work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.