SDR dongle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithJoseph

Still working on my amateur radio callsign.
Wat all do I need in order to use this method of scanning. Since phase 2 scanners are ridiculously high priced nowadays.

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
two sdr dongles, RTL-SDR v3(currently $5 cheaper on Amazon) or Nooelec NESDR smart v4, a diy 1/4 wave ground plane or one of those tram/diamond brand antennas, adapters depending on the antenna and feed line, AM & FM bandstop filters (not really necessary, depending on the power of radio stations around you) a couple of decent shielded USB extension cables

Abilene Edac, P25 (both look mostly encrypted} & United States Air Force (157) "This looks interesting"

as for the two counties, you they are pretty close together, an RSP1a with the SDRuno software could pretty much scan both of them.

I recently picked up an RSP1a at HRO specifically for it's wider bandwidth range to listen to the Airband, allot more traffic when you are not bottled up in 2.5MHz of bandwidth..

allot of it depends on what you want to listen too

plus, there is just allot of other fun stuff you can use them for

KeithJoseph

Ok so I want to hear everything there is to hear and I'm on a tight budget. How much would it cost to get me up and running?

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber

KeithJoseph

It's currently a bnc connect on the end of my antenna. So I need two computers? Laptop?

faff29

Feed Provider
Sorry if this does not pertain to this post, but I want to clarify a question I have. I currently have 1 sdr antenna and 1 dongle. I am looking at adding a 2nd dongle for a 2nd feed, can I use the above listed splitter to accomplish this?

Status
Not open for further replies.