BCD396T/BC996T: Dropped!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wirenut620

Premium Subscriber
Got out of the truck yesterday and it fell off my belt clip somehow and didn't fall far nor hard. There are no scratches and the screen works great and it scans. Speaker works too. Doesn't receive Jack Squat! Tried service search, pub safety, HAM, whatever....I got nothing. The only thing I can think of is an old solder joint at the antenna that has busted apart. i haven't had this thing a week and I love it dearly! I'm sure I'll be taking the back off of it sometime today. Wish me luck please!

Reconrider

If you only had it a week, return it for another one. Don't keep a broken unit because later down the road you'll be having to fix it for something else.

tvengr

Well Known Member
There could have been a voltage spike when the batteries got jolted. Try removing the batteries for a couple of minutes and power up the scanner again. Make sure you have your programming file saved. You can try resetting the scanner by pressing 2, 9, and HOLD at the same time for several seconds. Dropping a scanner can also crack the circuit board.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Even if it was new, dropping generally is excluded from any warranty repair or replacement.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
It’s probably the antenna solder joint. It’s the first thing I’d check. Getting close to transmitter like a CB or ham radio you can listen for will tell you a lot... if you hear the transmission up close it’s probably that solder joint. (Just be sure if it’s a ham radio, use a simplex frequency. I owned two of the BCD396T’s and one of the ‘XT’s and have had that joint go south on me a couple of times.

tvengr

Well Known Member
There is a good chance it could be the antenna connector. I am just suggesting things to try before disassembly of the scanner. A shock can also fracture crystals and crystal filters. I have replaced many in radio microphone transmitters and receivers that were dropped used by our news department.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I am awaiting repair for my 436HP. I frequently drop mine because I am clumsy or "gravity-challenged." The last time when it took a nose dive, it hit on the antenna. Consequently, the SMA threading broke. I have also had a horrible time with my old GRE PSR 500. In fact, I have sent this radio in for repair on multiple occasions to replace the crappy BNC module or whatever they call this part.

So, when I cannot receive NOAA, I get very concerned because it is usually involves poor reception specific to the aforementioned reoccurring problem. I don't know if other owners experience this problem, but I have.

WB9YBM

Doesn't receive Jack Squat! Tried service search, pub safety, HAM, whatever....I got nothing. The only thing I can think of is an old solder joint at the antenna that has busted apart.

Might be a micro-crack in the PCB. Good luck!

Wirenut620

Premium Subscriber
Bought it off an elderly lady whos husband had just died. No take backs, but I sincerely appreciate your advise sir.

Wirenut620

Premium Subscriber
The antenna is not wobbly and screws in and out just fine. Programming is saved. I have reset it and uploaded something close by to see if I get anything and it's not stopping on anything. Batteries have been out. I am trying everything mentioned and am of the opinion that it is a solder joint on antenna but.....there is the magical crystals as well...I don't know jack about those soooooo....gonna pop the six screws out and get ye olde magnifying glass and LED tattoo lamp out and have a looky loo. I wanna tell each and everyone of you....Thank You!

Wirenut620

Premium Subscriber
I don't need phase 2 around here so I could replace if I had to, but man did fall (lol) for this little scanner! may try an xt.

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
Got out of the truck yesterday and it fell off my belt clip somehow and didn't fall far nor hard. There are no scratches and the screen works great and it scans. Speaker works too. Doesn't receive Jack Squat! Tried service search, pub safety, HAM, whatever....I got nothing. The only thing I can think of is an old solder joint at the antenna that has busted apart. i haven't had this thing a week and I love it dearly! I'm sure I'll be taking the back off of it sometime today. Wish me luck please!
A lighted magnifier is imperative for me good luck! (y)

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
The antenna is not wobbly and screws in and out just fine. Programming is saved. I have reset it and uploaded something close by to see if I get anything and it's not stopping on anything. Batteries have been out. I am trying everything mentioned and am of the opinion that it is a solder joint on antenna but.....there is the magical crystals as well...I don't know jack about those soooooo....gonna pop the six screws out and get ye olde magnifying glass and LED tattoo lamp out and have a looky loo. I wanna tell each and everyone of you....Thank You!

Check the center pin on the antenna.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Do like @n1chu says and use a magnifier and look closely around the SMA jacks connection points for cracked or popped loose and/or missing components in that area.
I'd also separate the two boards so you can inspect the other side of the board the SMA jack is mounted too.

Putting the boards back together may also reseat any connectors that may have popped apart when it hit the ground if you can't find anything obvious around the SMA jack area.
Pay close attention to the areas of the board(s) where the rotary control is soldered also for cracks etc. Those are usually the highest suspect areas after a drop in addition to any connectors between the boards.

Did any little tiny pieces or parts fall out when you separated the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.