• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unity XG-100P questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Question 1: What type of antenna connector is on the XG-100P?

Question 2: Does the XG-100P use the same battery as the M/A-COM Harris P7100 portable? I believe it may, as if you purchase an aftermarket battery for either of these radios, they are the same part number. I just want to confirm.

prcguy

Antenna is SMA female but other antennas may not fit due to the shroud. Same battery as the P7100 and others.

Question 1: What type of antenna connector is on the XG-100P?

Question 2: Does the XG-100P use the same battery as the M/A-COM Harris P7100 portable? I believe it may, as if you purchase an aftermarket battery for either of these radios, they are the same part number. I just want to confirm.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Antenna is SMA female but other antennas may not fit due to the shroud. Same battery as the P7100 and others.

Thanks. That's what I was hoping with regard to the batteries. The antennas for the XG-100 seem kind of hard to find, and when you do, they seem very expensive.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Another question:
Here is the FW and SW version that supposedly in this radio (have not received it yet).

Software: 12082-8900 XLPRO4A24

RF HW: 12082-2010-07 R09

DIGITAL HW: 12082-4100-06 R11

Based on this, can I or should I upgrade the firmware? What version of RPM will I need to program?

This radio will be used for passive scanning of P25 trunking, plus some analog conventional channel monitoring.

TDR-94

That will require RPM14,but can be programmed with RPM10 with a firmware change.RPM14 is sold as a package with RPM2.Whether the radio will support trunking depends on the features that are currently enabled in it.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
That will require RPM14,but can be programmed with RPM10 with a firmware change.RPM14 is sold as a package with RPM2.Whether the radio will support trunking depends on the features that are currently enabled in it.

Thanks! Is the firmware I listed above considered old? Is there newer? Is there any benefit or downside to updating?

Cavscout

If you buy RPM14 be prepared for sticker shock. I bought it last year... I think it was around $750 maybe a touch less. The upside is it programs most of the Harris radios so you don't have to buy several programs.

TDR-94

Thanks! Is the firmware I listed above considered old? Is there newer? Is there any benefit or downside to updating?
You should be fine with what's already installed.There is no new feature support after XLPR03A for XG-100P and what's In the radio is already a later version than that.

Unless there are some known bug fixes for the XG-100P, in the latest version of XLP firmware,then no real need to update.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Thanks TDR!
How many alphanumeric characters per line are allowed on the front display?

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Just be careful with the battery *chargers* as you mix radios and batteries. In my experience, older P7100 chargers were for the NiCd/NiMH batteries, not the Li Ion you see with the newer radios.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Just be careful with the battery *chargers* as you mix radios and batteries. In my experience, older P7100 chargers were for the NiCd/NiMH batteries, not the Li Ion you see with the newer radios.
Yes, the XG came with a lithium polymer battery, which although it looks the same, it doesn't fit in the p7100 charger.

Also: how do I access channels above 16 when I have more than 16 in a zone? I know there is a "Programmable Shortcut Menu" that has options for this function, but entering a channel number after selecting this option does nothing. On the p7100 you press the "5" and "0" keys to move up and down through the channels.

TDR-94

The only two options for selecting channels or banks in the shortcut menu are select channel bank and select bank channel number. Other than that,all channel/group selection is tied to the selector knob and A/B/C switch. There is no arrow keying up or down through channels/groups with the XG-100P,like the P7100.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Thanks TDR; I found it. "Select Channel/Group Number" has to be selected in the shortcut menu.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The only two options for selecting channels or banks in the shortcut menu are select channel bank and select bank channel number. Other than that,all channel/group selection is tied to the selector knob and A/B/C switch. There is no arrow keying up or down through channels/groups with the XG-100P,like the P7100.

Actually you can set up zones in the radio (at least you can with the one I have). I'm using the A/B/C switch to select the three zones I use most often, but I have the middle and bottom side buttons set up for zone up wrap/zone down wrap so I can scroll through all the zones.

Channel selection is still done with the knob and using more than 16 channels to a zone you need to use channel banks as you noted, but with channel banks you're limited to six banks of sixteen channels. I prefer using zones which gives considerably more capacity than channel banks alone; I've got 46 zones programmed and haven't maxed out yet, but I suspect it's limited to 50 zones of 16 like it's younger brother the XL200P.

I just wish you could do something with the emergency button other than emergency or nothing; on other radios I typically use that to activate RSSI or site display.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Tom, I agree, I wish the emergency button could be programmed for something other than emergency.

Can you scan conventional frequencies along with trunked talkgroups at the same time? I haven't tried that yet. But I see you can't scan talkgroups from different trunked systems at the same time.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Tom, I agree, I wish the emergency button could be programmed for something other than emergency.

For some reason they carried that nonsense down to the XL series (XL200, XL185, etc) as well. I've made few choice comments to Harris TAC about that, but so far no joy in getting additional capabilities added to that button; wouldn't help the XG100P anyway.

Can you scan conventional frequencies along with trunked talkgroups at the same time? I haven't tried that yet. But I see you can't scan talkgroups from different trunked systems at the same time.

I haven't really tried scanning conventional and trunked with custom scan too much, but it does work. Problem is that the radio spends so much time checking control channels during custom scan that it's easy for it to miss conventional traffic.

I have not tried scanning talkgroups from different trunked systems at the same time, but with custom scan it should work.

Last edited:

TDR-94

You can't scan across" different" trunked systems. You can only scan across trunked systems that have the same exact SYS ID,SYS NAC and WACN.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
You can't scan across" different" trunked systems. You can only scan across trunked systems that have the same exact SYS ID,SYS NAC and WACN.

Thanks; that knowledge saves me some time.

I have spent some time trying to scan a few talkgroups mixed in with some conventional analog and P25 amateur frequencies. I have not been successful. I know there is a "Custom Scan Options" window which allows me to set up what I want, but it doesn't work. If I park on a talkgroup, I hear traffic on it, but the conventional channels are ignored. Likewise, if I park on a conventional channel, the talkgroups are ignored. There must be some additional settings somewhere that I can't find. Do I need to also set up a zone?

Status
Not open for further replies.