Uniden Repair Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

HWG

Well there goes my planned SDS100 purchase. :cry:

They can certainly afford to open up a second repair facility in a different part of the United States.

Absolutely. I would be more than happy to offer my expertise and advice, based on my vast experience in both marketing, electronics, public relations, and the like. As long as they understand, I don't come cheap.

Not sure the repair department is operating around the clock, but I would put them on a 24/7 schedule to catch up.

In this very short thread thus far, I have read posts by 2 people that have equipment in for repairs and the delay is being caused by the parts needed for the repair not being available.

So, your solution to all of this is: 1. Pay you an exorbitant salary for your "expertise". 2. Spend money to open a 2nd repair facility even though parts aren't available. 3. Staff 2nd repair facility even though they won't have what they need to do their jobs. 4. Operate the 2nd repair facility 24/7 even though the staff are just sitting around waiting on parts to be available.

By George, you should have things turned around in no time with that game plan! I'm sure your onboarding has already begun. You sir take pompous to a new level.

PS - I'm sure every division of Uniden is elated to see you won't be purchasing a SDS100. Probably the best thing that has happened to them.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
And what guarantee is there that some emergency won't pop up in both locations? The 40-ish year track record says the existing facility is sufficient for nearly all cases. /nearly/

I can think of one thing that would slow down repairs even if you had 12 repair centers across the county and probably around the world.

COVID-19
That alone pretty much brought everything to a grinding halt all over the world for a decent period of time!

And even with such a disaster or emergency, people will still complain.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
If you do not know what JIT manufacturing is, you might want to learn. It explains why you can't get repair boards and IC chips from Taiwan, a starter for your US made auto, or why lumber for your new house is virtually unavailable when you want it. Warehousing is a dead idea in business.

One small glitch in labor, weather, supply chain issues, can cause delays that take weeks or a few months. Compound this with several of these glitches and you may not get anything in the near future.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You know, the biggest premise for scanners is that things go wrong from time to time. We buy scanners to listen to those things not going right, like fires, crimes being committed, people falling, lighting striking, etc.

So let's accept that bad stuff can happen to Uniden, which is beyond their reasonable control and delay scanner repairs. And before you ask, I shipped off a scanner a couple of weeks ago for repair. Not only that, I'm a retired fire chief, so by my very nature, I'm supposed to be impatient.

So I'm in the waiting boat with you. I'm okay with waiting rather than repair costs being twice what they are.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
PS - I'm sure every division of Uniden is elated to see you won't be purchasing a SDS100. Probably the best thing that has happened to them.

Busting JB in the chops isn't the answer.

^^^^^ These 2 Exactly.... ^^^^^

This self imagined "consumer advocate" is not doing folks here any favors. He seems to be completely out of touch with prevailing business and market situations, and sadly believes his answers are valid. He clearly has no concept at all about the many current local and global situations, never before seen, that are affecting all of us... and how they are affecting all aspects of industry and commerce on an unprecedented scale... he just dismisses some of those as excuses or failures to learn.

A knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful product manager that checks in pretty much on a daily basis is what has been needed in here for a long time, and is an enormous asset to our community. Trust and respect can be built both ways... consumers being knowledgeable, accurate, and respectful with their criticisms, problems, and viable solutions... and a manager that is genuinely interested and effective in dealing with those matters.

As we all know, JB has some pretty big shoes to fill. Let's work with him and build that trust both ways, and not alienate his interest in helping us by continuing to post these ridiculous accusations and preposterous business plans.

MStep

I can handle the ridicule and contemptuous and dismissive behavior. It's like water off a duck's back. Keep in mind, however, that you are not laughing at my expense; you are laughing at the expense of all those folks sitting at home for two or three months waiting for their stuff to be fixed and returned. One day you may find yourself in the same situation that they are in. Always remember that "there but for the Grace of God........."

So how about some positive comments about what can be done to alleviate the backlog situation ? I'm sure there are serious folks in here that have faced that problem in their own businesses and come up with clever, "thinking out of the box" solutions to these kinds of issues.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I can handle the ridicule and contemptuous and dismissive behavior. It's like water off a duck's back. Keep in mind, however, that you are not laughing at my expense; you are laughing at the expense of all those folks sitting at home for two or three months waiting for their stuff to be fixed and returned. One day you may find yourself in the same situation that they are in. Always remember that "there but for the Grace of God........."

Ummmm, no one here is laughing at the expense of those folks... sad to see that's how you view it.

MStep

Ummmm, no one here is laughing at the expense of those folks... sad to see that's how you view it.

So let's get back to the topic of the "Uniden Repair Delay". Do you, fxdscon, or anyone else following this thread, have any positive suggestions to help Uniden get back on track? JoeBearcat asked for my input---- I gave him my suggestions. Let's hear what you have.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Uniden is in business to make money (yen or dollars), and anything that affects that income (as seriously as this repair stuff may be doing) may not be worth them doing anymore.

They read their market futures like any other business, and what they are reading for a year or two down the road is: "scanners" may not be worth producing...nor repairing...anymore.

Between encryption, as well as propriety radio systems (Mot., Kenwood, etc), the cost, per-radio, of including system upgrades to those propriety systems in the radios, the need for the consumers of these radios to have a Doctorate in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science just to put a few frequencies in (or have a close friend who does), all made worse with the Chinese flooding the American market with basic, self-programable, portable radios for $50 (or less), has to make them look critically at their future scanner market.

Think buggy whips....or, even more recently, 35mm film for cameras.

Perhaps they'll stick with just radar detectors and security cameras.

MStep

Oh what a monster I created 🤦‍♂️

Not at all. You focused some light on a subject that requires attention. I've seen a lot more in the 15+ years I have been here. Everybody here hopes you get your "baby" back soon. It looks like you got a few "backup" radios to tide you over. Keep us posted on your progress.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to clear the air, my post was simply a joke, not intended to troll/throw salt on anyone. Obviously it's a tough situation but I'll say this- 2 months before COVID hit I put a deposit to rent a tent for my backyard in anticipation of my daughter's first communion party. I paid $350 up front for it, first communion was cancelled and still haven't got a refund nor heard a word from the rental company. It's been 12 months now. I don't even know if they're still in business. We all have our crappy situations due to COVID and forces of nature. At least Uniden has a rep talking to you here

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Not at all. You focused some light on a subject that requires attention. I've seen a lot more in the 15+ years I have been here. Everybody here hopes you get your "baby" back soon. It looks like you got a few "backup" radios to tide you over. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks for the kind words! I am glad ive sparked some great conversation on the issue. I haven't had much success with scanners late last year or this year. All of a sudden last year, they all ended up slowly having reception issues and all 4 of my scanners had to be sent in for repair at one point. Uniden sent them back and repaired them good as new. The scanners worked for a few days and then all of sudden stop working. It's been a constant back and forth with sending them for repairs. I guess they haven't narrowed down the problem quite yet. I'm hopeful a tech will finally figure out what's going on with them.

To make matters even worse, I've had to return my SDS200 after it was acting up also. I gladly got my refund but now there's a quite lengthy backorder. I talked with some local dealers and looks like they won't be getting any SDS's till mid March.

MStep

Thanks for the kind words! I am glad ive sparked some great conversation on the issue. I haven't had much success with scanners late last year or this year. All of a sudden last year, they all ended up slowly having reception issues and all 4 of my scanners had to be sent in for repair at one point. Uniden sent them back and repaired them good as new. The scanners worked for a few days and then all of sudden stop working. It's been a constant back and forth with sending them for repairs. I guess they haven't narrowed down the problem quite yet. I'm hopeful a tech will finally figure out what's going on with them.

To make matters even worse, I've had to return my SDS200 after it was acting up also. I gladly got my refund but now there's a quite lengthy backorder. I talked with some local dealers and looks like they won't be getting any SDS's till mid March.

Wow. No, you cannot borrow a scanner. Just kidding. Since we are in The Tavern, I think I can mention that I have met several people in my life that seem to carry with them a force that interferes with electronics.

This might make an interesting read for you:

Could you be a "SLIder"? I thought those were just While Castle Hamburgers.

Status
Not open for further replies.