• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New Wouxun GMRS radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I like the 21 model for the small size and lack of things for people to fiddle with. Basically get on a set frequency, lock it and enjoy. Still, the power limit remains acceptable for all of the frequencies. The battery looks like it would last a bit and charge via USB is nice. $50 price point?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The test report makes me laugh. The certification lab tested one model. But, the report applies to 32 different models. Yeah, right.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
The test report makes me laugh. The certification lab tested one model. But, the report applies to 32 different models. Yeah, right.
And the power output reported to 3 decimal places for simplex frequencies, then just a flat 4 watts for the repeater inputs.

nd5y

Read the DoS Letter.

TWO-WAY RADIOS KG-989, KG-978, KG-916, KG-866, KG-839,
KG-939, KG-998, KG-988, KG-828, KG-968, KG-958, KG-928, KG-969, KG-918,
KG-959, KG-T56, KG-T58, KG-T59, KG-T52, KG-T53, KG-T55, KG-T57, KG-T60,
KG-T61, KG-T62, KG-T63, KG-T65, KG-T66, KG-T67, KG-T68, KG-T69, KG-989G,
KG-879G FCC ID: WVTWOUXUN21.
These models are identical with the PCB design, components and electromagnetics compatibility characteristics.

It's not unusual to have many different models that are electrically identical with the same FCC ID.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
These models are identical with the PCB design, components and electromagnetics compatibility characteristics.
That statement doesn't address the possibility of firmware differences among those models. You and I both know that changing a few bits in the firmware can change a radio from compliant with the rules to non-compliant with regard to out of band transmit, front panel programming, etc.

I know that the scope of these certification labs is limited, so they are some aspects of FCC rule compliance that they don't check. It just raises an eyebrow when I see so many models lumped into one FCC certification test. What you are saying is that Wouxon has 33 different radio models using the same design that are all compliant with Part 15 and Part 95E. I'm skeptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.