Shelbyville Tennessee City Police has changed to digital (Cant pick up feed w/BCD436HP)--T.G.COM Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imgillt1

Shelbyville Tennessee City Police has changed to digital frequency. I dont know much about digital/trunked radios but Im learning. LOL I cant pick up feed with my Uniden BCD436HP. The radioreference.com database has not yet updated this system to their database. I attached a story to this post from our local paper (www.t-g.com). I hope I posted this in the right forum, if not my apologies. Can someone please help. Thanks.

Attachments

• Shelbyville Police Change.pdf
    920 KB · Views: 44

Imgillt1

That is correct that middle TN Two-way is contractor. Could you tell me a little bit about NXDN based and how to program the scanner to receive transmissions? Thanks

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
I looked up the WNLY257 license for the city and it actually has DMR emissions listed rather than NXDN as I assumed, so you will need to determine what mode they are using so you can purchase the correct upgrade for your scanner.

Try listening to these frequencies and see if you hear any digital noise.

NXDN will sound like a quiet rumble while DMR will be a loud "chopping" sound that resembles a helicopter.

Imgillt1

Thanks again guys for the help! The 2nd link (DMR/TDMA) is definitely the sound I’m getting when I tune to my local PD. So which upgrade do I need?

Imgillt1

I have the DMR upgrade on order and should have it in my email today. I will let y’all know how it works out for me. Thank you guys very much for helping me figure this out. I’m Very thankful for this forum.

ka4bni

Feed Provider
One thing you may want to consider is when some agencies go to a digital system, they also encrypt their traffic. I'm not saying the Shelbyville is running encrypted DMR but you might be prepared for this. If you know someone at the Police Dept, you might reach out to them, or if someone close by is running a scanner with monitoring software (DSD+ etc.), they could tell if it's encrypted. Just a suggestion.

Imgillt1

Thanks for the suggestion.

Well I did get the DMR upgrade and installed it on my scanner. I finally picked up a few transmissions on the local city PD channel, but It was limited and by no means all of the traffic. I heard the police officer three times and the dispatcher a few times (and it was extremely clear digital broadcast) but that was it. So Im guessing its not scrambled?? Also, It is not picking up the interference anymore. What do I need to to now to receive all of the city police traffic. Thanks again!

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestion.

Well I did get the DMR upgrade and installed it on my scanner. I finally picked up a few transmissions on the local city PD channel, but It was limited and by no means all of the traffic. I heard the police officer three times and the dispatcher a few times (and it was extremely clear digital broadcast) but that was it. So Im guessing its not scrambled?? Also, It is not picking up the interference anymore. What do I need to to now to receive all of the city police traffic. Thanks again!
What was the frequency or frequencies?

west-pac

It appears to be a simulcast radio system. Google "simulcast distortion". You may need to buy an SDS scanner, or play around with the scanner location or antenna setup to receive it correctly on the 436.

LD723

It appears to be a simulcast radio system. Google "simulcast distortion". You may need to buy an SDS scanner, or play around with the scanner location or antenna setup to receive it correctly on the 436.
Hmmm I may sound dumb here but I thought simulcast distortion was mainly present with lsm P25 systems:unsure:

Imgillt1

Its working like a charm now!! My problem was I was assigning a digital code option instead of using auto. Whew. I have learned alot in this process. Glad to know I have friends on the forum to reach out to if I have any other difficulties. Thanks Again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.