Help me help you

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Not sure if this has been posted already however, when I use quick keys on my 100, .1.2 is for my county PD (which I normally leave off) and .2.2 is a simulcast site for a neighboring county. Whenever I press .2.2 while I only have .1 on (mainly because I'm either trying to listen to a specific call in their area or I'm going to be driving to the county within a few minutes) it turns on .1.2 so I have to turn that off specifically. I hope that is understandable, if not, I can try to describe it another way

Is there only one Favorites List involved?

You said you normally have System 1 off. But then that turns on when you disable System 2? What is left to scan?

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
Is there only one Favorites List involved?

You said you normally have System 1 off. But then that turns on when you disable System 2? What is left to scan?
So, I have 1 main FL list 1.xx.xx that's made for my county and close surrounding. So NC VIPER is 1.1.xx and Charlotte UASI is 1.2
NC VIPER is normally the only system I have scanning at a time since I run UASI on the Gaston Simulcast on my base scanner
When I try to turn on the Mecklenburg Simulcast for Charlotte UASI (1.2.2), I turn also turn on Gaston County PD (1.1.2) so I have to re-input 1.1.2 to turn off the county PD

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
So, I have 1 main FL list 1.xx.xx that's made for my county and close surrounding. So NC VIPER is 1.1.xx and Charlotte UASI is 1.2
NC VIPER is normally the only system I have scanning at a time since I run UASI on the Gaston Simulcast on my base scanner
When I try to turn on the Mecklenburg Simulcast for Charlotte UASI (1.2.2), I turn also turn on Gaston County PD (1.1.2) so I have to re-input 1.1.2 to turn off the county PD

Seems like a bug, but there might be other possibilities. Latest firmware in use? Have you tried a different card? Have you confirmed the System Quick Key for Gaston Co? Well, I guess if 1.1.2 turns it off, you have.

Can you export that FL to an HPE file and post it to me via PM?

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
Seems like a bug, but there might be other possibilities. Latest firmware in use? Have you tried a different card? Have you confirmed the System Quick Key for Gaston Co? Well, I guess if 1.1.2 turns it off, you have.

Can you export that FL to an HPE file and post it to me via PM?
Sure thing!
Firmware version is 1.10.0

teknishun

That is an easy one. The non-SDS models will continue to struggle with it due to the hardware design. There is nothing that can be done for those units with respect to hardware (although some improvement via firmware might be possible). As for what it is and how to overcome it, surely there are threads with info such as isolating reception to a single tower which is the only real solution. Of course this is not possible in all cases.

How does the SDS overcome it? It is a different receiver design that can better handle the distortion.

I will keep an eye out for future threads on that issue and perhaps create a TWIKI page on it (updating existing TWIKI pages will be a priority). This assumes a RR WIKI page does not already exist.

SIMULCAST DISTORTTION - The only page I am aware of on this issue is this one:

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
The next one will likely be for updated hardware. The one after that to fix bugs (unless those happen to come out at the same time).

I don't have a timeframe for either.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Without going into too much detail, some components are EOL (End Of Life) and have to be replaced with newer ones that perform the same function.

This has already been done with the BC125AT. Other models will receive similar updates as needed. The SDS series should be good for a while, but I think other models are subject to these changes. In fact, the last several BC125AT versions have been for updated hardware with no new features added.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The metadata in recordings on the x36/SDS lines contains lat/long data, but it's the static lat/long of the department/group, not the actual lat/long the radio is receiving from the GPS at the time the signal was being received. I would suggest the lat/long from the GPS at the time of the signal reception is FAR more useful than the static lat/long.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
The metadata in recordings on the x36/SDS lines contains lat/long data, but it's the static lat/long of the department/group, not the actual lat/long the radio is receiving from the GPS at the time the signal was being received. I would suggest the lat/long from the GPS at the time of the signal reception is FAR more useful than the static lat/long.

So if the GPS data does not exist, use the existing, but if the GPS data does exist (GPS is connected), use that in the metadata. Correct?

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
That would be great, yes! Thanks.

OK. That is pretty obscure as far as how many could use that data, but I agree 100% with the rationale.
There is also an existing request to use the current time for the timestamp rather than the time the recording started.
Maybe I can lump those into one feature request.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Last evening I started to look for threads that had pending questions/issues. It became quickly apparent this was a massive task that could take weeks to complete, so I am asking for some help to identify threads that have pending questions/issues. For now, I would like to focus on issues such as basic functionality of Uniden scanners (firmware update issues and major bugs), and would like to avoid (for now) service issues.

Either links to these threads or posts explaining the core issue would be appreciated. I will continue to look for these threads on my own.

The Uniden TWIKI is currently being updated. I believe the BC125AT TWIKI is complete and I am working on updates to the others - currently waiting for info from the engineers for other models. The BC_VUP software has been updated to make certain the latest versions of firmware are available, but questions on that are also welcome. There were issues with the BC125AT which I believe are now resolved (new factory models had firmware versions newer than BC_VUP allowed to be installed, and at least one user made his scanner unusable by installing an old version of firmware - solution: Update to the latest now if you have that issue.)

I appreciate anyone who can help identify these threads with issues that are not resolved.
I have always loved Uniden scanners, from the crystal type to the SDS200 which just arrived today. For an expensive scanner, it has minimal, but horrid documentation. No front view with all the switches, display, front ports, etc each having an arrow with their name and function labeled. No rear view with the same type of info. No Quick Start Guide! No saying which micro USB you plug the cable into so you can connect to your PC to load the HP database via Sentinel... I tried 3 cables before I figured... Try the front port! The quick start paragraph just says the micro USB port. Etc.

Anyway... Please consider adding a Quick Start Fold out page in the box!

I watched a 3 minute video on you tube put up there by Bearcat WAREHOUSE. 5 minutes later, I had the scanner up and running using the Uniden GPS.

The SDS200 really is a great product I really like it, I replaced a 13 year old BCD396T with the SDS200 so using a computer to setup and control a scanner is not new to me.

All I am saying a $1 or $2 guide in the package would be well worth Uniden's time.

End of rant... I really do love the new scanner!

Don

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
No front view with all the switches, display, front ports, etc each having an arrow with their name and function labeled. No rear view with the same type of info. No Quick Start Guide!

Will try to make sure of that. Not sure who will be doing the manuals yet.

As for quick start, hit zip and enter your zip code.

Status
Not open for further replies.