• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

EFJ 5100ES Programming - Issues getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorium

Just keyload with DES. I run all mine that way. 90 aftermarket keyload cable and a Moto 3011DX.

Thanks for the alternative, it was not on my radar.

My traffic is certainly not so sensitive 56-bit encryption wouldn’t suffice, but it looks like I’d still need to make an investment in hardware and would find myself 30-50% of the way to just buying the hardware to do AES 256-bit (KFD tool and cabling).

The practical man in me should probably do this, but the techie in me says I’ll just have to go all the way! :)

sfletc21

Alright so UPDATE:

I got ahold of a newer HP laptop running Windows 10. A 64bit machine
Still using PCConfigure 2.18.6
The driver is installed- FTDI21228
The radio is on.
All device settings are as set in the instructions from bluemax49ers.
Tried multiple baud rates and COM ports.
Still getting the same error "Communication problem during upload"

I'm pretty stumped...

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
This has been said previously, but I'll say it again. Most PCC versions are OLD and were designed to run on the PC's of their day. Try using an older, slower machine with 32-bit Windows. For whatever reason, some newer, 64-bit Windows machines will work, but most will not. I run several PCC versions on my 32-bit Windows desktop (and laptop) without issues.

mikedaly

Feed Provider
Thanks!

Now I just need to find someone with a KFDtool and cables that wants to make $100 to load a key on my 4 radios... or wait to the equipment is in stock and spend $300 on it for my own one time use.
Well worth the money spent on KFD will cost more with cables or make your own. Its almost a guarantee that the keys will fail or loose a key. So having a keyloader of your own is best

KD8GUA

Alright so UPDATE:

Still using PCConfigure 2.18.6
The driver is installed- FTDI21228
The radio is on.
All device settings are as set in the instructions from bluemax49ers.
Tried multiple baud rates and COM ports.
Still getting the same error "Communication problem during upload"

I'm pretty stumped...

I program 5100ES models all the time on Windows 10 64 bit. Use the fastest baud rate. PCC 2.18.x was made well after 64 bit OSs came into existence.

The key that I have found is to always use real serial ports when able to, or genuine EFJ USB cables. Sometimes all you need to do is restart the computer before a programming session.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
I program 5100ES models all the time on Windows 10 64 bit. Use the fastest baud rate. PCC 2.18.x was made well after 64 bit OSs came into existence.

The key that I have found is to always use real serial ports when able to, or genuine EFJ USB cables. Sometimes all you need to do is restart the computer before a programming session.

I've found these radios to be very tolerant of varied programming PC parameters. Lately I'm using a Windows XP virtual machine running under Ubuntu with a USB filter for my FTDI cable. Works flawlessly.

KD8GUA

I just have Panasonic Toughbooks for programming. I don't bother with FTDI cables or anything else. Keep it simple!

gtaman

I use a CF-29 running windows XP and a KAWAMALL serial cable. No problems ever. Only thing is the radios with worn contacts.

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
Thanks!

Now I just need to find someone with a KFDtool and cables that wants to make $100 to load a key on my 4 radios... or wait to the equipment is in stock and spend $300 on it for my own one time use.
Highly suggest buying a KFDtool and modifying an XTS-5k hirose adapter. Although if you pay for postage both ways, I can load keys for you.

dfb8085

I use a Bluemax serial cable with a usb to serial adapter. firmware 6.16.18 and PCConfigure 2.16.8 no problem . The problem I got is trying to figure out how to program convential P25 to use with my Hotspot. No matter where or what numbers I use ( even the hex values) either there's not enough spaces and will not take all the digits or some odd ball problem. can anyone please tell me what to put where.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
I've found that the Call List function is limited to four digits. The group ID range function (not recalling the exact name and am out of state right now) is usable for caller ID with the longer DMR IDs. Are you having difficulty inputting your ID or other users'?

dfb8085

Thanks for your reply. I finally discovered what it was. Two things under tools then preferences there is a check box that says use hex values. I unchecked that and everything cleared up except the fact that the radio always took the hex nac value under channels instead of dec value. I was working with someone and he set me straight. The NAC value 293 is a hex number. once I put it in the hex box all went ok. Never knew nac was a hex number

Status
Not open for further replies.