• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XTVA Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I have a Motorola XTVA recently installed perhaps 3 months ago. Red wire to +12; Yellow to switched ignition; black to chassis ground. The XTVA is used with an XTS3K or an XTS5K and generally works as expected... except for its' battery charging behavior.

Typically, I use the vehicle only 2 or 3 times a week and the XTS is normally OFF while in the XTVA. If I charge the XTS in the house and then place it in the XTVA, the battery will usually be dead within a week, even though the vehicle has been driven for several short trips (perhaps 8-mile round trips in stop and go traffic). All batteries are known good.
Regardless of the particular radio used or battery type (Motorola std, Motorola IMPRES, or third-party NiMH), the behavior is the same. Upon first inserting the radio after a fresh charge, the RED charge LED comes on for a short time, then GREEN. During colder WX, sometimes the orange LED will illuminate for a while before changing to RED or GREEN. However, when the vehicle is used again after a few days, the radio battery will likely be dead (or nearly so) regardless of the charge indicator. I've even seen a GREEN indicator when the radio won't even power up on removal from the XTVA.

Is this a known convertacom problem? What can I do to resolve it?

fineshot1

The xtva holder unit does not charge in Impress mode - it is just a simple charger with no smarts and if you leave
the radio in the charger with the battery with the xtva off it is likely to eventually deplete the battery cause the
battery is still connected to the xtva with no power on to top off the battery. This should NEVER be done and is
not the right way to treat your batteries. If you mistreat your batteries they will mistreat you. :)

fineshot1

PS - Always eject your portable before leaving the vehicle - this disconnects the battery from the xtva electronics
and prevents depletion of the portables battery.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
One more related issue...

Whenever my radio is nearly depleted and I insert it into the XTVA, the red charge LED comes on (as expected), but within 15-20 minutes (sometimes even less), the green LED lights up. Of course, when the radio is ejected, the battery is not much better than when it was first inserted.

Suggestions?

fineshot1

One more related issue...

Whenever my radio is nearly depleted and I insert it into the XTVA, the red charge LED comes on (as expected), but within 15-20 minutes (sometimes even less), the green LED lights up. Of course, when the radio is ejected, the battery is not much better than when it was first inserted.

Suggestions?

That simply means the battery is most likely at the end or very near the end of its life.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Yes, something else is in play here and it was noted in post #2. I use an XTVA as well and rotate my batteries to the Impress charger.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Yes, something else is in play here and it was noted in post #2. I use an XTVA as well and rotate my batteries to the Impress charger.
Actually, I took note of posts #2 and #3 when first posted and have since stopped leaving the radio inserted into the XTVA when the vehicle is not running, but still have this charging issue. Once the radio's battery is nearly depleted and inserted for recharging, the XTVA will show a green LED way earlier than you would expect and the battery appears to be only slightly recharged. Are you suggesting that the charge function of the XTVA is essentially non-functional?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I am recommending you rotate your batteries into an Impress charger so that it can recondition and charge them up. The Impress charger lights convey the status as well as whether a battery is end of life. If you are doing all of that and your batteries are not EOL, or near it per the Impress charger, then perhaps something is wonky with your XTVA.

I keep an old near end of life battery around and use it in a radio when just receiving. It will show red then green in the XTVA like it is charging and charged, but if I forget it is in there and go to transmit the radio turns off relatively soon. The lights go red as well. This is what I experience with a near if not End Of Life battery in the XTVA. I don't pay attention to how quick it changes to green, but I know it is old and two different Impress chargers flash red/green when it is in them.

Here is a link to a PDF. I'm unsure if this is your charger. Chargers Instruction Leaflet - Motorola Solutionshttps://learning.motorolasolutions.com › download

Also, read this PDF manual of the XTVA. In particular identify the revision of your XTVA and read through to confirm what battery types it can charge. I hope this helps. https://magnumelectronics.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/xtva_manual.pdf

chief21

Premium Subscriber
I am recommending you rotate your batteries into an Impress charger so that it can recondition and charge them up... If you are doing all of that and your batteries are not EOL, or near it per the Impress charger, then perhaps something is wonky with your XTVA.
Essentially, that's what I'm now doing. Since I first discovered that the XTVA was running down/not charging the radio when kept inserted, I started using my IMPRES gang charger to recharge the batteries. But then I discovered that when the battery gets low and I'm not at home, the XTVA still fails to charge the battery, even though the LED seems to think it's been recharged. I posted to see if this is typical behavior for the XTVA, and if it isn't, might there be any solution that I could attempt to solve it.
QUESTION: I read about a method to reset the CPU in the XTVA by shorting certain pins together. Would this have any effect on the charging logic?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I do not have a solution to fix an XTVA that does not charge. Additionally, I have not read about resetting the CPU and the results of that. I do see some open and closed face XTVA's on eBay for under $40 right now. I have never priced them before, so I am unsure if that is a good deal.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
A reset certainly wouldn't hurt anything. Once the pins are shorted, leave the power on for 20 seconds or so.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Im getting the fail 01/90 code on the hhch and it keeps trying to reboot. Any ideas what causes this?
Here's a list of error codes I found online. All of them may not apply to the XTVA/HHCH, but 1/90 seems to be applicable to many Motorola products. One possibility... I recall that the XTS portable needs to be programmed for HHCH use. Have you done so?

Error CodeDescriptionAction
01/02External EEPROM Checksum Non-Fatal ErrorReprogram the Codeplug
01/81Host ROM Checksum FailureReprogram the FLASH Memory
01/82External EEPROM Checksum FailureReprogram the Codeplug
01/84SLIC Initialization FailureTurn the radio off then on
01/88MCU (Host uC) External SRAM FailureTurn the radio off then on
01/90General Hardware FailureTurn the radio off then on
01/92Internal EEPROM Checksum FailureReprogram the Codeplug
02/81DSP ROM Checksum FailureReprogram the FLASH Memory
02/82DSP External SRAM1 Failure U402Turn the radio off then on
02/84DSP External SRAM2 Failure U403Turn the radio off then on
02/88DSP External SRAM3 Failure U414Turn the radio off then on
02/90General DSP Hardware Failure
(DSP startup message no received correctly)
Turn the radio off then on
02/A0ADSIC Checksum FailureTurn the radio off then on
09/10Secure Hardware Failure
09/90Secure Hardware Failure
001Synthesizer Out of LockReprogram the Codeplug/Replace RF Board
002Selected Mode/Zone Codeplug Checksum ErrorReprogram the Codeplug
Note: If the corrective action does not fix the failure, replace the controller board.

Status
Not open for further replies.