MdTA Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The MdTA Police Bay Bridge detachment must be bored (again) - one of their units was using the turnaround on I-97 north of the Hawkins Road overpass. A bit blatant patrol way outside of their 2 mile "jurisdiction" on the western side of the bridge (secured but letter agreement with AACo Police.)

riveter

Premium Subscriber
It's not like their ability to enforce the law just 'stops' outside their native jurisdiction though... they can go anywhere in the state and write tickets or make lockups.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
It's not like their ability to enforce the law just 'stops' outside their native jurisdiction though... they can go anywhere in the state and write tickets or make lockups.
Yes, they have the legal authority to enforce traffic laws on state highways when they witness a violation, but they do not have routine patrol authority outside certain limits from their assigned facility. The Bay Bridge detachment has MOUs to patrol the highway eastward to the 50 /301 split in Queen Anne County and backup QAC Sheriff for local law enforcement, and 2 miles west into Anne Arundel County along the highway and service roads, but not extending into adjacent neighborhoods. It's an important distinction / issue because the transportation authority does not have direct oversight from elected officials.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
What were they doing? Speed enforcement? Radar? Laser?
I first noticed them doing radar / laser enforcement just east of the Severn River Bridge a few years ago, then it stopped. This time I noticed one of their cars turning around in a median, likely on patrol.

Side note: MSP Centreville cars routinely turn around in my neighborhood, and I live off Bestgate Road in Annapolis.

Status
Not open for further replies.