Newbie to scanning, questions regarding mobile antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

aelopez26

Install looks good. It should make a big difference over what you had. Looks better and no doubt works better. Now if we could just get others to understand how important a good antenna and mount is….

thanks for your advice, otherwise I would have just bought an antenna and mounted to my back rack like the other one was. It definitely looks very professional and things come in way more crisp, and much more stronger 👍

garys

Premium Subscriber
Center coil looks too small to be effective on CB frequencies. Maybe an old RS scanner antenna, but doesn't look the same. Then again, maybe it's an ineffective cheap center loaded CB antenna.

Looks like a gutter mount of some sort. Back when cars and trucks had gutters.

Looks like a center load CB antenna. Using a crimp ring and bolt like that on the bottom for coaxial connection wouldn't be done on VHF or UHF antennas. That sort of clamp on mount looks like some of the old Radio Shack CB antennas.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Pretty much. I sold CBs and other consumer radios back in the mid to late 1970s. I made some good money installing CB radios for customers. Mostly we sold Firestick antennas, but we were also an early K40 dealer. Oh, and Shakespeare, which I think was originally a fishing pole manufacturer. A few A/S. We didn't sell junk antennas because they were more aggravation than they were worth if an unhappy customer came back.

Aren't they all?

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
That antenna was a Hustler/Newtronics MOG. Sold a lott of them in the day when Nebraska was still low band, because the antenna woudl do VHF low/VHF high/UHF!

garys

Premium Subscriber
I should have recognized that! I use a MOT on my truck. That's a great antenna if it's mounted correctly. It works well on 700/800/900 too.

That antenna was a Hustler/Newtronics MOG. Sold a lott of them in the day when Nebraska was still low band, because the antenna woudl do VHF low/VHF high/UHF!

Status
Not open for further replies.