Broadcastify Raspberry Pi Feed Appliance Image v1.0 (BETA)

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Ok, let's comment out both hw in the pulseaudio config:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/pulse/default.pa

### Load audio drivers statically
### (it's probably better to not load these drivers manually, but instead
### use module-udev-detect -- see below -- for doing this automatically)
load-module module-alsa-sink
#load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0       <<<<<< COMMENT OUT THIS LINE AS SHOWN BY ADDING A # IN FRONT
#load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:2,0     <<<<<< COMMENT OUT THIS LINE AS SHOWN BY ADDING A # IN FRONT
#load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-oss-mmap device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-null-sink
#load-module module-pipe-sink

Also, are you running the pi headless or with a HDMI monitor attached?

jegallag

Feed Provider
I loaded this image to my 2GB Pi, went through the configuration and everything worked great, except the start on reboot. Still working on that.
Thanks for the image. I was running my online scanner on Windows 10 on the Pi, but was having some issues, especially the long reboot time for adding patches.
Thanks again,
John G.

ke4ldu

I di wish this was simpler. I tried to get this to work and I am failing at it. Followed the limited instructions and couldn't make it work. Is there a how to video on how to setup sdrtrunk?

Also I assume having a BCD996P2 will not work for Broadcastify Calls?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK - good news. I've released fixes for some of the soundcard issues folks were experiencing. The primary issue is with conflicts between the on board soundcard, and whether or not a monitor was plugged into the device, which would activate HDMI audio which caused further conflicts.

If you are having any problems getting your soundcards working with this image, go ahead and choose option "9" from the BCFY Shell and update to the latest version, then reconfigure your feeds. A reboot is required and all your feed configurations on the device will be cleared out - so you'll have to reconfigure your feeds on the device.

Thanks!

nick0909

Antenna flicker
Feed Provider
Anyone tried trunkrecorder with a digital P2 system? How many digital recorders could a Pi4 handle before it was too much?

ke4ldu

OK - good news. I've released fixes for some of the soundcard issues folks were experiencing. The primary issue is with conflicts between the on board soundcard, and whether or not a monitor was plugged into the device, which would activate HDMI audio which caused further conflicts.

If you are having any problems getting your soundcards working with this image, go ahead and choose option "9" from the BCFY Shell and update to the latest version, then reconfigure your feeds. A reboot is required and all your feed configurations on the device will be cleared out - so you'll have to reconfigure your feeds on the device.

Thanks!

Is there a video of step by step instructions on how to setup a
? I just don’t understand and get it.
Also can you tell me if a BCD996P2 is useless for Broadcastify calls?
Yes i have the image loaded on a pi. Yes I have a API. Yes I have a sdr dongle. If i could get someone to log in via VNC and show me what to do that would be awesome as well.

kbadler

Premium Subscriber
Hope someone can assist, I installed the image, booted up the Rasperry Pi4 box, tried to execute the BCFY Shell, and i am getting an error.
Failed to execute child process. “Xterm” (no such file or directory )

Any thoughts?

ke4ldu

Yes i have the image loaded on a pi. Yes I have a API. Yes I have a sdr dongle. If i could get someone to log in via VNC and show me what to do that would be awesome as well.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
There is a step by step video posted on the Wiki

dan-dekalb

Configuring Trunk Recorder is a pretty involved process. At this time you'll need some experience with the application.
Just a thought on the configuration process for TrunkRecorder. All of the information required is already on RadioReference. http://garvas.org/trunk-recorder/ has an algorithm to determine the number of dongles, recorders, and center frequencies required on a trunked system. If you want to add an analog system, that information is already in the database.

The configuration files could be programmatically generated the same way that DCD files are already created. From BCFY Shell, you could select the system, assign dongles, and have a standard configuration running pretty quickly. Additionally, if you use TrunkRecorder for single frequency systems, it can include alpha tags, something that isn't working right now with analog inputs.

I'd be willing to help to try to simplify the configuration.

ke4ldu

Just a thought on the configuration process for TrunkRecorder. All of the information required is already on RadioReference. http://garvas.org/trunk-recorder/ has an algorithm to determine the number of dongles, recorders, and center frequencies required on a trunked system. If you want to add an analog system, that information is already in the database.

The configuration files could be programmatically generated the same way that DCD files are already created. From BCFY Shell, you could select the system, assign dongles, and have a standard configuration running pretty quickly. Additionally, if you use TrunkRecorder for single frequency systems, it can include alpha tags, something that isn't working right now with analog inputs.

I'd be willing to help to try to simplify the configuration.

dan can you email me directly? If so my email is ke4ldu@gmail.com. Thank you for the willingness to help.

ScanYak

Feed Provider
Hope someone can assist, I installed the image, booted up the Rasperry Pi4 box, tried to execute the BCFY Shell, and i am getting an error.
Failed to execute child process. “Xterm” (no such file or directory )

Any thoughts?
This is what I found that worked.

1) Open Terminal

Click on the Terminal Window.

2) cd /usr/bin

sets target directory (actually changes directory.) for cp (copy) command.

3) sudo cp lxterminal xterm

It makes another copy of "lxterminal" and re-names it to "xterm" (old terminal) so you can use both lxterminal and xterm command to start terminal.

Problem Solved Enjoy.

N6ATI

Up and running in minutes, no more downtime while my windows 10 PC updates. The instructions made it so easy a caveman could do it. Thanks a bunch!

ke4ldu

Question for all. I am running 2 feeds on 1 pi. When i connect 1 antenna using a T connector the audio from both feeds mix. When i use 2 separate antennas the audio doesnt mix. Also if i run 2 pi’s and put those same feeds on each pi which then the pi’s have 1 feed on them and use 1 antenna with a T connector the audio still mixes. Doesnt make sense to me. Has anyone ran in to this issue? Does anyone have a idea how to fix this?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Question for all. I am running 2 feeds on 1 pi. When i connect 1 antenna using a T connector the audio from both feeds mix. When i use 2 separate antennas the audio doesnt mix. Also if i run 2 pi’s and put those same feeds on each pi which then the pi’s have 1 feed on them and use 1 antenna with a T connector the audio still mixes. Doesnt make sense to me. Has anyone ran in to this issue? Does anyone have a idea how to fix this?

The Raspberry Pi is notorious for a common ground problem which causes this issue for multiple feeds.

The solution is to install a ground loop isolator for each feed. They are cheap and basically required equipment for most feeds, since they also remove noise and hum from feeds.

I've used more than 20 of these for every single radio I own and every feed that I provide.

Link: Mpow Ground Loop Noise Isolator for Car Audio/Home Stereo System with 3.5mm Audio Cable (Black)

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 5.31.38 PM.png

ke4ldu

The Raspberry Pi is notorious for a common ground problem which causes this issue for multiple feeds.

The solution is to install a ground loop isolator for each feed. They are cheap and basically required equipment for most feeds, since they also remove noise and hum from feeds.

I've used more than 20 of these for every single radio I own and every feed that I provide.

Link: Mpow Ground Loop Noise Isolator for Car Audio/Home Stereo System with 3.5mm Audio Cable (Black)

View attachment 102670
Just ordered 2. I will let you know how this works . Thank you !