Simple Newbie Question - FleetNet Zone 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athairne88

Good evening,

I used to scan local frequencies in Timmins and got a great deal of entertainment out of it until everything when digital/encrypted.
Many years later, finding myself pandemic bored I've started looking into this again.

My understanding from this site is that FleetNet in Zone 3 is mostly digital with some analog.
I've not seen anything marked as encrypted.

Would this imply that a simple digital radio would give me the option to listen?
(I realize better units provide better scanning range/banks but I'm keeping this question very general)
Is it really that simple? I assumed anything digital was encrypted and would required some type of key.

slicerwizard

Any of the digital trunk tracking scanners will handle FleetNet. Most traffic is in the clear. Your real problem is that FleetNet is being replaced with a newer, encrypted system.

Athairne88

Hahaha. Thanks for the info!
I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't spend on something that would only last a few months/a year or even not at all.

Guess I've my answer now.
Easiest/quickest answer I've ever received so thank you slicerwizard!

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
How long before that happens up by Timmins though? I'd say he has some time yet to enjoy FleetNet. Go out and buy a Uniden 436HP hook it up to an outdoor antenna and enjoy the hobby. :)

There's still plenty of other stuff to listen to out there as well. Even in a place such as Timmins.

Your real problem is that FleetNet is being replaced with a newer, encrypted system.

gary123

Even a 396 would do the job. Lots of used hardware out there just be sure it handles P25 and trunking. As said, Timmins is quite a way out from where the system is being test bedded. I would think at least a year or more before you need to worry about upgrades shutting you down.

Gymbag

Premium Subscriber
I know you were inquiring about FleetNet in this post, but looking in the database for Timmims, I see the police are encrypted (most police services are nowadays) so you won’t be able to listen to them. Fire looks to be in the clear but the Public Works is DMR so if you want listen to them you might want to consider a DMR capable radio.

ATCTech

Can anyone actually monitoring Zone 3 confirm that the CISO T/Gs are not "E"? I find it hard to believe that they're not, or maybe they've never been heard active, but I'm not there so....

mciupa

Can anyone actually monitoring Zone 3 confirm that the CISO T/Gs are not "E"? I find it hard to believe that they're not, or maybe they've never been heard active, but I'm not there so....

I think we can be assured that they are encrypted as well as OPP Intelligence. Looks like I went through those talkgroups three years ago for some reason.
How about it Zone 3 people, can somone check?

Status
Not open for further replies.