Montgomery County PSSM Program update

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
I am getting MCPD now. About 20 minutes after i posted that, MCPD picked back up again as well. Has anyone been able to get the TG's for the Sheriff Dept ???? On the P16 system it made for some ah interesting listing to at 3 and 4 am in the morning when alone you might say.. nothing to do with any type of surveillance at those hours....

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Fire Dispatch, Fire Ops 1, MSP Rockville and MCP Wheaton District were all operating in Phase 1 this afternoon.

atlong

Database Admin
Hearing some bad distortion again from my location out here in the boonies on 7V2. Alert tones badly distorted, audio seems degraded, hum in the background and possible signal degradation. Can anyone confirm who's local?

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
I have found that when using my KNG2 radio and if I enter 0 in the talk group ID (hex) it will allow the WHOLE SYSTEM TG Thru and display the TG that are talking as well. I think this is a lot simpler then using a SDR Dongle.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Let me ask what might be a dum question.
why do these frequencies show up under channel ID after i tune my KNG radio to montgomery and the MD 1st system?
12.5 tx offset -39.000 12.5spacing 935.01250 FDMA
TDMA

Bjc123

Premium Subscriber
7A2 and 7V2 (154.160) no voice, just tones and then silence. 7A1 and 7V1 seems to be working.

EDIT: back working now as of 10:23PM

Last edited:

atlong

Database Admin
7V2 seems okay now as of 23:32EDT. Just checked my feed and am hearing tones and vocals. I swear their radio techs are following this thread to alert them of failures. Just saying...

atlong

Database Admin
Can someone explain exactly what alerts fire stations and volunteers besides the main CAD system? 7V2 transmits tones, which should in theory alert pagers, trigger claxons in the stations, etc...(I get there are data systems in place, like CAD, etc) but many times, the dispatcher talks over the tones, or there are tones and no voice dispatch for several minutes (don't the pagers time out?). Doesn't that prevent pagers from being alerted?? I am guessing there are other ways like data/info paging to smartphones, etc in place? The 7V2 channel seems like it is the last in line to actually alert anyone in an efficient manner. I'm assuming, it's just a backup now. What am I missing? I think I'm just living in the 90's.

Bjc123

Premium Subscriber
7V2 seems okay now as of 23:32EDT. Just checked my feed and am hearing tones and vocals. I swear their radio techs are following this thread to alert them of failures. Just saying...

Yeah, it started working about 5 minutes after I posted that. I double-checked with the online feed to make sure it wasn't just me before I posted something about it :)

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Can someone explain exactly what alerts fire stations and volunteers besides the main CAD system? 7V2 transmits tones, which should in theory alert pagers, trigger claxons in the stations, etc...(I get there are data systems in place, like CAD, etc) but many times, the dispatcher talks over the tones, or there are tones and no voice dispatch for several minutes (don't the pagers time out?). Doesn't that prevent pagers from being alerted?? I am guessing there are other ways like data/info paging to smartphones, etc in place? The 7V2 channel seems like it is the last in line to actually alert anyone in an efficient manner. I'm assuming, it's just a backup now. What am I missing? I think I'm just living in the 90's.
The CAD system alerts the stations; the tones alert the personnel with pagers. The CAD can be tied into other software that can alert smartphones. I'm not sure of the sequence in MontCo, but in AACo, the CAD is sent out over data connections (aka not 800 RF) to stations and field units, then a brief voice announce if a serious call / box that does not include assigned units, then the full dispatch with tones sent out over VHF and then simulcast VHF and 800 voice announcing the call with assigned units. Sometimes the dispatcher leaves the simulselected VHF up for a few moment after the full dispatch goes out (probably accidentally.) When this happens, you typically only hear the dispatcher side of the convo.

atlong

Database Admin
I'm just confused how the system allows the dispatcher to talk over the tones on 7V2. If a tone gets blocked by a someone talking over it, it's not going to alert the pagers configured for that tone pair, correct? Isn't that a problem?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'm just confused how the system allows the dispatcher to talk over the tones on 7V2. If a tone gets blocked by a someone talking over it, it's not going to alert the pagers configured for that tone pair, correct? Isn't that a problem?
They should not be talking over the tones - not sure if the dispatcher hears the tones, or gets cued when the tones are finished. Back in the VHF days, the county's first iteration of CAD had problems spitting out tones in a timely manner. I think they were using a DEC PDP-11 computer. The QC2 and Intrac signal timing was a mess.

ResQguy

Meh
The system is designed (as all should be) to prioritize voice over ANY data, even tones. Regardless, if will not be much of an issue come May 1st.