Broadcastify Raspberry Pi Feed Appliance Image v1.0 (BETA)

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Cannot get the feed to work. Followed the steps for setup exactly. My feed does appear live but cannot stream through the web interface or the Android app. Message online says, "Error connecting to feed."

Having a similar issue where the Pi4 is not recognizing the sound card (using the USB sound card recommended), will work on it more this weekend.

WD0JB

Feed Provider
Snip taken from image instructions page regarding Raspberry Pi hardware

"Raspberry Pi 3 B+ - Best for up to 2 darkice feeds. Will also broadcast a small size trunking system site to Broadcastify Calls using Trunk Recorder."

What is considered a small size trunking system? How many digital and how many analog recorders can be running? Is there a recommendation?

Thanks!

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Snip taken from image instructions page regarding Raspberry Pi hardware

"Raspberry Pi 3 B+ - Best for up to 2 darkice feeds. Will also broadcast a small size trunking system site to Broadcastify Calls using Trunk Recorder."

What is considered a small size trunking system? How many digital and how many analog recorders can be running? Is there a recommendation?

Thanks!
Probably no more than about 4 digital recorders. I don't have any hard and fast stats... but if you are doing any real Broadcastify Calls work you're going to want a Rpi4

N6ATI

So I ordered the exact raspberry pie and sound card per instructions. I set it up and configured it with ease, it went very smoothly. However, my feed hasn't been stable since. It randomly goes down every couple of days for no reason. So tonight I pulled the card and started from scratch, reinstalled the image, updated, reconfigured, etc. This is my last attempt, wish me luck. If the problem continues, I will go back to running ScannerCast on my PC. I will keep you updated.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Got my feed running after some initial issues, and happy with it. Was not difficult and now have my laptop back and available. Next project (adventure) is converting to a Broadcastify Calls feed for my area (setting this up scares me because of my lack of knowledge). Just wondering if I can continue to use a sound card for my existing feed on the Pi4 and use a SDR for the Broadcastify Calls feed (two feeds one SDR one with scanner and soundcard)?

DC31

Feed Provider
Got my feed running after some initial issues, and happy with it. Was not difficult and now have my laptop back and available. Next project (adventure) is converting to a Broadcastify Calls feed for my area (setting this up scares me because of my lack of knowledge). Just wondering if I can continue to use a sound card for my existing feed on the Pi4 and use a SDR for the Broadcastify Calls feed (two feeds one SDR one with scanner and soundcard)?
I don’t believe that you will be able to do both with pulseaudio disabled on the bcfy image. If pulseaudio were available, then yes it would be possible. Setting up your existing scanner feed to also feed the calls platform might be possible.

ScanYak

Feed Provider
Next project (adventure) is converting to a Broadcastify Calls feed for my area

Keep your traditional feed and add the new Calls feed with another Raspberry Pi. You can't have too many.... Unless the 9 I have are too many? In other words, these things are fun to experiment with.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Okay, thought I had it working, looks like all the info is in the log/config file,but it is not making it to the calls ingest system.

Will someone ( @blantonl ) please look at my Config.json and the most recent log entry and help me. This is all new to me and I'm amazed I made it this far. (API Key is correct, but last several digits removed)

Thanks

Attachments

• Config-Log.txt
    7 KB · Views: 18

TFerg53

Feed Provider
Bit the bullet and purchased the recommended CanaKit Raspberry Ultimate Start Kit, put the kit together and made the mistake of letting the software that comes on the card install itself and the assorted applications that come with it. It split the card into two separate drives and I was never able to clear it, so I had to use another card that I had here that I formatted and everything is working great! I no longer have a laptop tied up streaming my scanners, but I have a few questions:

--- Since I am using two scanners, I need two separate sound cards? Combing the two outputs into one will not work as it did on my laptop and the desktop prior to that? Actually, the desktop input split the two inputs onto two separate channels where I had one scanner no the left and the other on the right.
--- Does the Raspberry/BCFY "OS" recognize both sound cards and use them together (if I need two sound cards)?
--- On my laptop I was able to hear the stream to Broadcastify through the laptop's speakers. What can I use to listen to the output of the Raspberry, other that listening on-line or via an App?

DC31

Feed Provider
--- Since I am using two scanners, I need two separate sound cards? Combing the two outputs into one will not work as it did on my laptop and the desktop prior to that? Actually, the desktop input split the two inputs onto two separate channels where I had one scanner no the left and the other on the right.

the audio input on the usb sound card is mono. You can’t input stereo then split it to mono.

--- Does the Raspberry/BCFY "OS" recognize both sound cards and use them together (if I need two sound cards)?

it should, but I haven’t tried it.

--- On my laptop I was able to hear the stream to Broadcastify through the laptop's speakers. What can I use to listen to the output of the Raspberry, other that listening on-line or via an App?

Try connecting speakers to the audio out jack on the pi. If that doesn’t work, try plugging them into the earphone jack on the usb sound card.
Get yourself a little bluetooth-enabled speaker and connect to it using the pi’s integrated bluetooth.

Roy151

Hello Everybody!

I must doing something stupid because I'm unable to login my broadcastify account using darkice. I am able to enter my username just fine, but when I try to enter the password I am unable to type any characters into the command prompt. I am only able to hit enter which of course comes back with the wrong username/password error. Any Ideas?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Okay, thought I had it working, looks like all the info is in the log/config file,but it is not making it to the calls ingest system.

Will someone ( @blantonl ) please look at my Config.json and the most recent log entry and help me. This is all new to me and I'm amazed I made it this far. (API Key is correct, but last several digits removed)

Thanks

Ok, few things here. You have a sample rate of 3000000 which isn't valid for an RTL stick - 2048000 is typically the max usable for a single stick. The Wake County system is probably going to need 2 RTL sticks to cover it since it has frequencies from 851-854 Mhz... Also, you'll need to make sure to properly determine the PPM for each RTL stick that you have.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello Everybody!

I must doing something stupid because I'm unable to login my broadcastify account using darkice. I am able to enter my username just fine, but when I try to enter the password I am unable to type any characters into the command prompt. I am only able to hit enter which of course comes back with the wrong username/password error. Any Ideas?
The password when you type it is blanked out. Just type your password and hit enter

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Ok, few things here. You have a sample rate of 3000000 which isn't valid for an RTL stick - 2048000 is typically the max usable for a single stick. The Wake County system is probably going to need 2 RTL sticks to cover it since it has frequencies from 851-854 Mhz... Also, you'll need to make sure to properly determine the PPM for each RTL stick that you have.

Okay trying to add a second SDR modified config as you noted above, amended config to add second entry identical to first right below it using the different serial numbers of the SDRs, different center freqs, and added the ppm. Says it is starting, but according to the log I'm only seeing one SDR (both showing in Gqrx), and getting an error unable to setup system.

Convinced I'm too stupid to understand this and can not find an example on the internet. Last request for help before I give up.

Attachments

• Config-Log.txt
    9.3 KB · Views: 13

TFerg53

Feed Provider
Thank you! Rather than use the stereo cable I have now to combine the feeds from the two scanners, a mono cable will work to put both on the live stream?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Finally got the config.json working and Trunk Recorder working, but it still is not connecting to the Calls Ingest. Giving me the error:

gr::log :DEBUG: correlate_access_code_tag_bb0 - writing tag at sample 1380001
gr::log :DEBUG: correlate_access_code_tag_bb0 -[2021-05-02 13:32:13.009781] (info) [Wake County (Wake County Simulcast)] TG: [35m 32016[0m Freq: 851.962500 MHz Ending Recorded Call - Last Update: 2s Call Elapsed: 13
[2021-05-02 13:32:13.011047] (info) - Stopping P25 Recorder Num [0] TG: [35m 32016[0m Freq: 851.962500 MHz TDMA: false Slot: 0
sh: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
[2021-05-02 13:32:13.044100] (error) Failed to convert call recording, see above error. Make sure you have sox and fdkaac installed.
writing tag at sample 1380085
gr::log :DEBUG: correlate_access_code_tag_bb0 - writing tag at sample 1380169

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Config-Log.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 5

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Finally got the config.json working and Trunk Recorder working, but it still is not connecting to the Calls Ingest. Giving me the error:

gr::log :DEBUG: correlate_access_code_tag_bb0 - writing tag at sample 1380001
gr::log :DEBUG: correlate_access_code_tag_bb0 -[2021-05-02 13:32:13.009781] (info) [Wake County (Wake County Simulcast)] TG: [35m 32016[0m Freq: 851.962500 MHz Ending Recorded Call - Last Update: 2s Call Elapsed: 13
[2021-05-02 13:32:13.011047] (info) - Stopping P25 Recorder Num [0] TG: [35m 32016[0m Freq: 851.962500 MHz TDMA: false Slot: 0
sh: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
[2021-05-02 13:32:13.044100] (error) Failed to convert call recording, see above error. Make sure you have sox and fdkaac installed.
writing tag at sample 1380085
gr::log :DEBUG: correlate_access_code_tag_bb0 - writing tag at sample 1380169

Any suggestions?

You are getting close - but you've borked up your config.json and it appears trunk-recorder doesn't like any "(" in the short name.

Use this as your config.json and make sure you set a PPM for BOTH dongles. Right now below, 80 is only set for the first one. You'll need to determine what the 2nd dongle is and set the proper PPM and you'll probably be set:

Code:
{
    "ver": 2,

"sources": [{
        "center": 853750000.0,
        "rate": 2048000,
        "ppm": 80.0,
        "ifGain": 38.6,
        "digitalLevels": 4,
        "digitalRecorders": 4,
        "driver": "osmosdr",
        "device": "rtl=00000001,buflen=65536"
    }, {
        "center": 852150000.0,
        "ppm": 0.0,
        "device": "rtl=00000004,buflen=65536"
    }],
    "systems": [{
        "control_channels": [853537500, 853787500, 853150000, 853762500],
        "type": "smartnet",
        "shortName": "WCS",
        "modulation": "fsk4",
        "broadcastifyApiKey": "d455687f-aa24-11eb-ba68-0ecc8ab9ccec",
        "broadcastifySystemId": "840",
        "audioArchive": false

}],
    "broadcastifyCallsServer": "https://api.broadcastify.com/call-upload",
    "frequencyFormat": "mhz",
    "captureDir": "/home/pi/bcfy/audio",
    "controlWarnRate": "10",
    "callTimeout": "1"
}

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
You are getting close - but you've borked up your config.json and it appears trunk-recorder doesn't like any "(" in the short name.

Use this as your config.json and make sure you set a PPM for BOTH dongles. Right now below, 80 is only set for the first one. You'll need to determine what the 2nd dongle is and set the proper PPM and you'll probably be set:

Code:
{
    "ver": 2,

"sources": [{
        "center": 853750000.0,
        "ppm": 80.0,
        "device": "rtl=00000001,buflen=65536"
    }, {
        "center": 852150000.0,
        "ppm": 0.0,
        "device": "rtl=00000004,buflen=65536"
    }],
    "systems": [{
        "control_channels": [853537500, 853787500, 853150000, 853762500],
        "type": "smartnet",
        "shortName": "WCS",
        "modulation": "fsk4",
        "broadcastifyApiKey": "d455687f-aa24-11eb-ba68-0ecc8ab9ccec",
        "broadcastifySystemId": "840",
        "audioArchive": false

}],
    "broadcastifyCallsServer": "https://api.broadcastify.com/call-upload",
    "frequencyFormat": "mhz",
    "captureDir": "/home/pi/bcfy/audio",
    "controlWarnRate": "10",
    "callTimeout": "1"
}

Okay, we are getting there, I feel better about it. Used your Config.json and it is working, but I am still not connecting to the calls ingest. Is there something I'm missing with the connection process?

Attachments

• Config-Log.txt
    17.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: