Yagi Replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
My directional yagi (Laird) was shredded in last night’s wind storm. Rear element is gone, frame is bent. I need recommendations for a good directional yagi that has a rep for endurance. I have been thru 3 of them now - this Laird, a Wilson, and the cheapie Scanner Master. It will be aimed at my nearest site about 5 miles away, mounted on mast about 25ft high. Any suggestions appreciated - thanks

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Actually, it wasn't all that bad, maybe 45mph gusts. i think it was slightly bent from last year when we had a 60-70mph storm. I am not able to get up on the roof anymore so I did not have the opportunity to inspect it at the time.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yagis have always served me well. I initially bought a directional yagi when I was putting together a system to try and receive my local simulcast system before the birth of the SDS scanners. Directional yagi aimed at the site, three digital scanners and a hope and a prayer. I suppose it doesn’t have to be a directional yagi now that the simulcast issue has been resolved, but it is a practical replacement due to the mast position as space is limited.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I already have a discone which is routed to an 8-way Stridsberg multi-coupler, the yagi is just below that on the mast.

K4EET - It got twisted last year in a bad windstorm and I had my nephew go up there and straighten it out and he said at the time that the rear element was really 'loose'. Didn't take much after that to trash it. I have since trimmed the tree limbs that I suspect were battering it during the storm. Thanks for that link, I am liking the looks of the Westell CSI-AY/806-960/11 yagi.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

CanesFan95

Surprised to hear of a yagi literally being shredded?

I use a PCTEL BGYD806K up almost 30 feet and it's excellent. It's directional, but still works great in all other directions. And a side benefit I found, it works surprisingly well on ADS-B 1090 MHz. A bit pricy, but fully welded and feels good and solid. 70 MPH winds will by no means "shred" it.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Thanks, guys, I have ordered the Westell CSI-AY/806-960/11 yagi. Advertised as 'rugged', so I'll give that a try.

Shredded is my description of bent in 3 places and twisted downwards. Had to be the tree limbs. The next morning when I discovered it, I found my neighbor's lawn mower shed flattened against my fence. Looked out the window several times that night and the trees were dancin', that's for sure. Was battered and weakened that night, then the other night was the straw that broke the camel's back. Anyway, problem solved - thanks, Dave K4EET for the recommendation!

Status
Not open for further replies.