Help me help you

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
@JoeBearcat - This is related to database structure.

In reprogramming my HHs in the last few weeks, to put the same department across two systems I need to enter & update them twice.

Would it not make more sense to have that department in there once, and refer to it in two systems, therefore eliminating the need to cross maintain? SD Card space is not an issue for me as I have 32gb cards in there and the systems take up next to no space.

Here is a RL example - bearing in mind that the Zip Code and Database is of no use outside of Northern America:

I have my statewide ESO system in a FL called "VRN"

In that FL, I have two (actually three but one is conventional) P25 systems, one containing the sites that I can RX from home, and the other with ones I RX when I am mobile, or ones that I can get on my home antenna. They typically only carry the talk groups for the services that operate on them, so if I want to hear anything outside my local radius I need to use other sites.

Doing it this way allows to me to lock in/out a system and lock out sites in one go that I don't get on the HH at home. This also means when I am out, I can lock the entire FL out so that I can focus on a particular system, for instance if I am DMR tracking.

For the VRN FL, I then need to manage two lists of TGIDs and two lists of UIDs. I also have 27 departments that cover 570 TGIDs, and I still don't have all the TGIDs in there. You can see where I am going with this.

I understand I can set sites by quick key - problem is with this, I forget which quick key is which and it is easier to lock out the whole system including the sites I don't need. If they could be switched on and off via the "Set Scan Selection" menu, this may work around this.

Trying to follow this: Quick Keys would work but are hard to remember? What if you set the local site to Site QK 1 and the others to Site QK 2?

You could do the same with talkgropups - even assigning those Departments the same Quick Keys which would be enabled and disabled together. Or you could separate them into 11 and 12 for local or mobile to control them separate from the Sites.

With a single site all your IDs are maintained together.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
That explanation is pretty much dead-on.

If I set up a P25 Conventional system, edit the display to show Unit ID's it will display them but won't show Unit ID's with names. In my scenario, I have 2 separate talkgroups which I can program as a OFT and can program Unit ID's and text tag them, however many conversations are missed if they're quick (message received...ok..etc) I have not seen this discussed before and I think it's unique. What would be an alternative solution? Talkgroup hold times are -10...System hold is on?

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Commercial Radio on the system. Not sure why but testing my Unidens OFT with my Kenwood NX-5300 NXDN they work very well with 4 Second Delay.

All of my other OFT systems utilize 1 talkgroup...this one doesn't and is why I have to monitor it in Conventional mode.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
If I set up a P25 Conventional system, edit the display to show Unit ID's it will display them but won't show Unit ID's with names. In my scenario, I have 2 separate talkgroups which I can program as a OFT and can program Unit ID's and text tag them, however many conversations are missed if they're quick (message received...ok..etc) I have not seen this discussed before and I think it's unique. What would be an alternative solution? Talkgroup hold times are -10...System hold is on?

With conventional channels it has no way to know what the alias (UID tag) is.

Again, if there is an issue with a 0-delay setting, that should be fixed.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
With conventional channels it has no way to know what the alias (UID tag) is.

0 delay system setting? This is on the same system with 2 separate talkgroups so I set the system to Hold.. I set the talkgroups to -10 with very minimal improvements.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
A -10 delay means the scan will resume in 10 seconds regardless of continued activity or not. That is different from a 0 second delay.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Isn't -10 negative 10...below 0 second delay? It's not +10 second delay.
A delay setting of -5 or -10 means that after X amount of seconds, the scanner will resume scanning. It's a forced resume, in other words. If you're using either of those for normal monitoring, you probably want to stop doing so.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
A delay setting of -5 or -10 means that after X amount of seconds, the scanner will resume scanning. It's a forced resume, in other words. If you're using either of those for normal monitoring, you probably want to stop doing so.

That's my goal in this scenario only, not in my normal scanning environment. Since their are 2 talkgroups used and replies are being missed, as soon as the transmission is concluded, I want it to release to the reply. It's hard to believe a 0 to -10 second delay is still not quick enough and that's the reason OFT doesn't work in this scenario.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
It's hard to believe a 0 to -10 second delay is still not quick enough and that's the reason OFT doesn't work in this scenario.

If a delay of 0 isn't working for you, a delay of -10 isn't going to help.

A delay of "-10" does not mean "delay negative 10 seconds". How could that even work? Resume ten seconds before the transmission starts? I think you'd need a time machine.

"-10" means "stay on this transmission a maximum of 10 seconds". So if a transmission lasts 4 seconds, it's a 0 second delay after the transmission ends. If the transmission lasts 30 seconds, the scanner resumes scanning after 10 seconds.

Have you tried programming *two* OFT systems, one for each TG (and TS), and a delay of 0?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
[QUOTE="sallen07, post: 3506932, member: 774568"

Have you tried programming *two* OFT systems, one for each TG (and TS), and a delay of 0?
[/QUOTE]

That would result in more missed transmissions since dispatch is using one talkgroup, and mobiles are using a separate talkgroup.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
How so, if you set the delay to 0?

Have you tried it??

I don't think you quite understand the oddity of programming here. If a company reports on the scene on Talkgroup 65535 on System 1, and it has to scan to System 2 to hear a reply from Dispatch on Talkgroup 1, how would that be any better than programming both talkgroups in one system, under 1 department?

No, I haven't tried it because the results would be worse than my current programming.

Even if I hold on a site, since they're all programmed in the system, the quick responses are missed. That is why the only solution I've come up with for numerous different programmed is Conventional so no transmissions are missed. Since the SDS scanners can transmit UID's in conventional P25, that's why I brought it up to add UID with name.

Ubbe

Please investigate. A 0 sec TG delay time should immediately make the scanner monitor the control data for new calls after a call have ended if the site where on hold.

As that doesn't seem to work it might indicate that 0 sec are interpreted as a blank empty default value, which is 2 sec.

/Ubbe

riverradio68

Feed Provider
I sure hope this qualifies for this thread .... I'm an SDS owner, but also a x36 owner and even a P2 owner but since the SDS I rarely use the others. What is the potential for a firmware upgrade to the x36 line making the scanner capable of SDS quality simulcast receive? The x36 is still a great radio, not everyone needs 256 colors. Could be a great option and keep the dinosaur's in service while giving those who want SDS quality an option without the high dollar price tag.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What is the potential for a firmware upgrade to the x36 line making the scanner capable of SDS quality simulcast receive?
Zero. The x36 hardware is simply not capable of properly handling simulcast. If simulcast could have been solved with a firmware update, it would have been done already, and Uniden wouldn't have had any reason to develop the SDS models.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
I would be interested in knowing how the LCN Finder worked. It seems as if it needs voice activity to find the channel numbers. DSD+ seems to show it right quick - its in the data stream. The lcn finder will just sit there doing nothing, so it seems, while DSD+ is running the datastream of channel numbers.

I've been traveling around Sunday, my day off, DMR and NXDN type systems are least active, mapping several of these systems. My Airspy with DSD+ acts as my lcn finder.

Status
Not open for further replies.