My feed has 4,000+ listeners...wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsncrso

KN4ZVZ
Feed Provider
So just after 11:00 AM EST on 5/29. I have over 4,000 people listening to my scanner feed and there is absolutely nothing going on except some chit-chat between some ocean rescue personnel. Logging onto my Scanner Feed app, there is an "Active event: Fire" listed under my feed, something that I most certainly didn't issue nor does anyone else have any possible access to do so, and an alert is not showing up on Broadcastify. Is this just a random fluke or was there a possible server error? I like lots of listeners, but only when there is something going on (for comparison, I normally have around 25-30 listeners on a day like this). Does anyone have any ideas?

blbeach

Premium Subscriber
So just after 11:00 AM EST on 5/29. I have over 4,000 people listening to my scanner feed and there is absolutely nothing going on except some chit-chat between some ocean rescue personnel. Logging onto my Scanner Feed app, there is an "Active event: Fire" listed under my feed, something that I most certainly didn't issue nor does anyone else have any possible access to do so, and an alert is not showing up on Broadcastify. Is this just a random fluke or was there a possible server error? I like lots of listeners, but only when there is something going on (for comparison, I normally have around 25-30 listeners on a day like this). Does anyone have any ideas?

I saw that and was wondering the same as you..

jsncrso

KN4ZVZ
Feed Provider
Now there is an alert on Scanner Radio "Active Event: Shooting". There is no such thing happening. I'm starting to think this is a Scanner Radio app issue but I'm still at a loss as to what's happening.

Also, no space junk has landed here yet :geek:

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Now there is an alert on Scanner Radio "Active Event: Shooting". There is no such thing happening. I'm starting to think this is a Scanner Radio app issue but I'm still at a loss as to what's happening.

Also, no space junk has landed here yet :geek:

I have the Scanner Radio app on my android phone. I got the alert for Dare County yesterday. I didn't tune in because I didn't really care. I did not get a more recent alert for a shooting event.

How are those alerts generated? I had assumed it was done by feed providers.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Refer to this thread where the issue of the Scanner Radio "alerts". Those alerts have no direct connection to the BCFY alerts that feed providers can put out on their own feeds; these are 100% end user driven and are unique to the Scanner Radio app.

jsncrso

KN4ZVZ
Feed Provider
Refer to this thread where the issue of the Scanner Radio "alerts". Those alerts have no direct connection to the BCFY alerts that feed providers can put out on their own feeds; these are 100% end user driven and are unique to the Scanner Radio app.

Thank you, this must be it! I love Scanner Radio and the great interface Gordon designed for it, but letting any Tom, Dick, or Harry issue alerts is a huge mistake in my opinion. This is doing nothing but making dedicated listeners, especially ones who go to my feed when there is a local event, lose faith and trust in my feed. Very poor decision

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Well, look at it this way, you almost got that $50 gift card :)

Broadcastify provides incentive rewards for feed providers based on a threshold for number of concurrent listeners on an individual feed. They breakdown as follows:
  1. If a feed breaks the threshold of 5,000 concurrent listeners on a feed for any given time, the feed provider will receive a $50 gift certificate to Scanner Master.

Status
Not open for further replies.