SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Slow Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I’m not using the search function on the scanner. It’s just a system that I built manually that I’m scanning through. Guessing it’s got a few hundred channels in it, between the various “departments” (bands in this case). I’ll happily upload the file when I get to the computer at some point.

In any case, both videos show the same exact system being scanned. In one video it takes almost a minute to get through the system, and in the other video it makes two passes in a few seconds if I recall correctly.

The inconsistent behavior makes me wonder if it is the cold solder joint issue.

I don't think that's it, it's alot of channels to go through, plus if you get any intermod/interference it will slow it down.

W5JLF

Premium Subscriber
What specifically are you scanning? Trunked systems? Conventional channels? Both? If a trunked system, only scanning one site at a time (site hold) will greatly improve scan rate. If scanning a FL with multiple systems, pick one system and stick with it. Also the more channels you have programmed into a conventional system/department, the longer the scan will take so split your conventionals into different departments or only program in what you're interested in hearing and nothing else
Thanks. It looks to be only on trunked channels.

Ubbe

Thanks. It looks to be only on trunked channels.
Removing the antenna on mine did not make any difference in the scanning speed.
It behaves as if it detects a carrier on every frequency and most probable cause are a cold solder joint problem.
It should just swish by any trunked system as you do not receive any carrier or control channel with the antenna off and the system hold time are then not in use. If you scan only conventional systems then you might have set the deprtments hold time to a huge value and will scan that dept for the whole hold time regardless if there's a signal or not. I don't know what will happen if you set the filters to auto, all dept and systems are set to global and the global setting are set to auto. But you seem to have checked that.

There's a huge difference in the May video, that looks normal, compared to the June one.

/Ubbe

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Lots of possibilities and may of them have been mentioned. It could also be an SD card starting to fail. I didn't see anyone suggest that.

A reformat/rewrite might solve things or it might require a new card. At the very least I would try your spare SD card.

W5JLF

Premium Subscriber
Folks, I solved my slow scanning issue by avoiding sites that are out of my normal reception range. Thanks for everyone for all the help and advice.

W6VVM

Folks, I solved my slow scanning issue by avoiding sites that are out of my normal reception range. Thanks for everyone for all the help and advice.
I’m glad your issue is resolved. In my case it happens even while scanning a single conventional system. I haven’t tried the reformat like JoeBearcat recommended but I will soon. Thing is, it doesn’t always happen.

I’m starting to wonder if temperature is a factor. I’ve turned the scanner on in the morning after sitting in a 70 degree room and had the slow scan happen. I’ve also had it sitting in a warm car all day and turned it on and it scanned quickly. I need to pay more attention to that going forward to see if there’s real correlation.

W5JLF

Premium Subscriber
I’m glad your issue is resolved. In my case it happens even while scanning a single conventional system. I haven’t tried the reformat like JoeBearcat recommended but I will soon. Thing is, it doesn’t always happen.

I’m starting to wonder if temperature is a factor. I’ve turned the scanner on in the morning after sitting in a 70 degree room and had the slow scan happen. I’ve also had it sitting in a warm car all day and turned it on and it scanned quickly. I need to pay more attention to that going forward to see if there’s real correlation.
Good luck. Currently mine seems to be working ok. However, I will keep watching it closely for any signs of a change. You may be on to something concerning temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.