BCD396XT/BCD996XT: Motorboating on analog frequency? Didn't know it could...

Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Wouldn't a digital frequency/system programmed as analog cause motorboating? Have you tried to change the Modulation to digital or all? The FCC database has some errors as far as emissions I have discovered so don't depend on that.

a417

Wouldn't a digital frequency/system programmed as analog cause motorboating? Have you tried to change the Modulation to digital or all? The FCC database has some errors as far as emissions I have discovered so don't depend on that.
or digital repeater passing mixed mode traffic. listening only to analog mode would give you digital noise when it went OTA.

Last edited:

fatboy_dan

Premium Subscriber
or digital repeater passing mixed mode traffic. listening only to analog mode would give you digital noise when it went OTA.
Both are good points, and something I'll look into today.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
On both KCERS (King Co) and SERS (Snohomish Co), I get a low frequency rumble. Both are Motorola Type II Smartzone systems. KCERS has a Connect tone of 83.72 and SERS is 97.3. I suspect that the tone you are hearing is this 'connect tone'?

I don't hear it (a lot anyway) on a SDS100 or 200, but when I connect either to a better speaker, I hear it. EX: in my car, I hook up to the (good w/ sub) stereo and I really hear it.

Also, when I use RTL-SDRs on my computer (with good speakers), I hear it. So, it isn't the Uniden radios, it is the SYSTEM(s). BTW, I do not hear it on any P25 II systems, etc.

fatboy_dan

Premium Subscriber
I think I have it all figured out - what happened, and why. I need to talk to someone I know who deals with the tribal IT/Tech building and see if my theory is correct. If so, it'll be the first time I've ever heard of such a thing... will be back with the information in a couple days if I'm right

fatboy_dan

Premium Subscriber
Well, been more than a couple days. I did talk to the tribal IT/Tech I had in mind and I was right, it was a "malfunction of their broadcast equipment" according to this person. I guess any of their mobiles (PD,EMS) were receiving the same sound pattern and fade in/out I was. It has since been 'fixed'

Status
Not open for further replies.