• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GStar (GE-Star) on XG100P Unity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Try looking up anything for VIDA core or system related. It is a freaking mess. It's a full time job to just sort through their manuals to find the correct one. Then only to find that that section that you need actually points to a different manual.

merlin

Still no info on enabling it in the radio parameter tree?
Well, it is not really complicated, If you don't have feature 09 on your list, you won't get it.
09 is the T99 feature and G-star comes along for the ride.
This is part of an encrypted features you can't program with any available software. Something you buy from L3 Harris, and I think it is no longer sold or supported.
Find an exact radio with 09 enabled, with brute force, you can clone the entire flash.
That is beyond the average person to think about.
I still haven't solved the mysterious encrypted features, but getting there.

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
Well, it is not really complicated, If you don't have feature 09 on your list, you won't get it.
09 is the T99 feature and G-star comes along for the ride.
This is part of an encrypted features you can't program with any available software. Something you buy from L3 Harris, and I think it is no longer sold or supported.
Find an exact radio with 09 enabled, with brute force, you can clone the entire flash.
That is beyond the average person to think about.
I still haven't solved the mysterious encrypted features, but getting there.
I do have 09 enabled… I use Type 99 two tone signaling on my XG100P

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Same here. I tried on several of our 100P radios and although it lets me check G-Star, it does not work. We also have 09 enabled. MDC does work.

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
Actually flip that around (as if it wasn't confusing enough). You have to create your conventional P25 frequency sets first, then create the systems that refer to them. If you create the system without having a frequency set to point it to, the software will cry foul and not let you out of the system creation window without either selecting a frequency set or cancelling the whole operation.

If you plan to use P25 channels you also have to create a P25 group set for the P25 conventional system to refer to. Talkgroup 1 is the standard talkgroup for 700 MHz interop channels in the NIFOG, so I just create a group set called "P25CONV" with Talkgroup 1 in it, and leave it at that. Make it a Global set and I can use it for public safety radios at work, too.

1. Create frequency set(s)
2. Create P25CONV group set
3. Create system(s) to go with frequency set(s)
4. Create zone(s) where you enter the desired system and channel.

One other hint... you have to create a channel name for the software to refer to, up to 8 characters; make the channel name something unique but easy to understand. Once you have a channel name you can add a long channel name (up to 14 or 16 characters, I forget which) that actually resembles English.

And if you're not confused enough already once you've got all that done, you can get into the Options section, where there's all kinds of fun things to tinker with.

My biggest gripe about RPM is that there's no way to import lists of frequencies or talkgroups like there is with RPM2 (at least, not one that I've ever been able to find). Manually entering hundreds of radio channels is an exercise in tedium.

One other fun hint... if there are people on a particular repeater who you want to annoy, enable MDC or G-STAR on that particular channel (the SIGNALING button). The ID blip the radio sends on every transmission will drive your enemies bananas.

I had the same issue. The only way around it was to force the radio to always start up on a particular zone and channel (I used Zone 1, Channel 1 since that's Dispatch where most users are 99.9% of the time); also don't forget to set the System Up/Down buttons to Zone Up/Down.
How do you enable G-Star on the XG100P? I’ve heard both its possible and no Harris dropped that feature many moons ago..

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
You already have a thread on this...
Correct… didn’t get much help in it… G-Star was still greyed out went to into the personality itself to try to enable it… it appears as an option next to MDC1200 when you click the signaling icon on a P25 channel in analog voice but then it’s still non-selectable in the home/emergency channel menu window of the option tree

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I tried on numerous radios and could never get it to work. I was able to select the feature, but no GE-Star data was transmitted.

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
I tried on numerous radios and could never get it to work. I was able to select the feature, but no GE-Star data was transmitted.
For me
Where u able to activate it for the radio in the conventional home/emergency channel option of the personality tree?

K2NEC

Correct… didn’t get much help in it… G-Star was still greyed out went to into the personality itself to try to enable it… it appears as an option next to MDC1200 when you click the signaling icon on a P25 channel in analog voice but then it’s still non-selectable in the home/emergency channel menu window of the option tree
There's no way I just did that :ROFLMAO:
Whoops!

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I'll have to try again to see if it appears in the Emergency area. All I did was test to see if it would TX the GE-Star data upon PTT, but I could not get it to work at all.

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
I'll have to try again to see if it appears in the Emergency area. All I did was test to see if it would TX the GE-Star data upon PTT, but I could not get it to work at all.

Don’t mean to keep beating a dead horse horse… but I guess if you still haven’t found anything, the next thing would be to call a Harris dealer and see if they can create an SC.5 file

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
Can sc.5 files even be used with the XG-100P?
I’m not sure… I mean you can enable it only because RPM is made
To program a bunch of other radios as well… I got a new laptop the other day and I’m gonna build a mission plan from scratch… I hope I get this g-Star working because even In radio firmware releases it’s listed as a “common feature” without any mentions of XG100P incompatiblities or other notes

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
I kinda backed away from this topic since I can't contribute anymore as I don't have an XG100p in front of me to test with. What I can say is that if this is something where it worked in RPM10 and stopped working in RPM14, it likely wasn't because they meant to remove functionality (IIRC the XG100p was not getting updates past XGP R02 anyways) it was probably broken while adding something else and since its such a niche option, nobody noticed.

That said, your options are basically roll back to RPM10 (if it worked there) or decompile RPM to figure out where they broke it. I've done this for a few other things where a checkbox would be greyed out when it wasn't supposed to be because of a bug and worked fine, but it can also corrupt personalities and radios.

SC5 files are not supported on the XG100p that I have ever seen, and they can only come from TAC for an extremely good reason. You basically need a multi-million dollar contract on the line and the only way to save the contract is to develop an SC5 to edit something that can't wait for a firmware fix. SC5s are literally instructions sent to the radio to modify an EEPROM location after the personality is written, which lets you mess with just about anything if you know its absolute location in EEPROM.

If I get a radio across my bench I can test with, I'd be happy to debug this but it's not something I'll dump a ton of cash on for a test radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.