• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

SWR TESTING

Status
Not open for further replies.

RookieRooster

Hello, i just got my CB tuned and peaked and its kicking out 40 watts now. My SWR reader, which can test either 10 watt or 100 watt radios is set to ten watts. My SWRs have been kind of high and channel 40 is significantly higher than channel 1, meaning antenna is to high. Without doing anything after taking my truck to the CB shop which I have left with a SWR of 1.5, my SWRs went up. My antenna is set all the way down, its a 2 foot firestick. Could my SWR readings be false due to the SWR reader?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
40 watt radio/100 watt amp into a 2 foot tall antenna sounds like you have your priorities in the wrong order.
The most important part of your radio system isn't the amplifier, it's your antenna. If you want the system to work correctly, and make use of all that 40 watts or 100 watts, you really need to get a decent antenna. Trying to cram 108" of antenna into 24 inches is going to result in a very inefficient setup.

So, before you go too far with this, consider getting a bigger antenna.

Also, make sure your 100 watt amp will tolerate being driven with 40 watts...

You need to make sure your SWR meter is calibrated. If your radio puts out 40 watts, you should have your SWR meter set at the 100 watt setting. Without knowing what SWR meter you are using, it would be difficult for anyone to give you guidance on how to do this.

Also, where you are when you test the SWR matters. If you are parked near large metal objects (house, barn, garage door, lamp post, etc) it'll throw things off.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Also, if you are running 40w, 100w amp is a complete waste of money. The difference on the receive end will not even be 1 S-unit. It will be slightly more than half an S-unit, to be more precise.

As was said, get a better antenna before you waste your money on an amp.

RookieRooster

40 watt radio/100 watt amp into a 2 foot tall antenna sounds like you have your priorities in the wrong order.
The most important part of your radio system isn't the amplifier, it's your antenna. If you want the system to work correctly, and make use of all that 40 watts or 100 watts, you really need to get a decent antenna. Trying to cram 108" of antenna into 24 inches is going to result in a very inefficient setup.

So, before you go too far with this, consider getting a bigger antenna.

Also, make sure your 100 watt amp will tolerate being driven with 40 watts...

You need to make sure your SWR meter is calibrated. If your radio puts out 40 watts, you should have your SWR meter set at the 100 watt setting. Without knowing what SWR meter you are using, it would be difficult for anyone to give you guidance on how to do this.

Also, where you are when you test the SWR matters. If you are parked near large metal objects (house, barn, garage door, lamp post, etc) it'll throw things off.
The fwo foot antenna was just temporary.

slowmover

What brand & model of semi truck? Only a tiny number are easy to get good performance (relative to other trucks).

IMO, you should always shoot for 14’ clearance (13’5” shortest) with the LONGEST antenna you can fit (not less than 4.5’).

As to amps making no difference in a big truck, that’s not in the least accurate. Power is the crutch necessary more often than not as big truck antenna mounts make for very poor ground plane.

50-150W gets the job done. A car or pickup where best practice is followed (admittedly rare) doesn’t need the wattage to produce results consistent with the expected 3-5/miles.

OP, an amp won’t solve THE OTHER PROBLEM. Being able hear as far as others hear you. For which you’ll want DSP audio filtration.

CBs and Exports don’t have it. A stand alone or external speaker integrated unit is how to get that. Your radio and antenna system can already receive better than you realize, but clearing up the noise is what’s necessary.

Hear, and Get Heard.

FWIW I often reply to drivers asking questions who can’t hear me. There’s no reason they can’t hear me but one (where all else is the same).

Last edited:

slowmover

Went back on OPs posts and “truck” apparently means pickup.

A dual final 40W radio is adequate to GET OUT. As was noted, it’s all about the antenna (location & mount). DSP is still desirable.

Status
Not open for further replies.