Opinions about new HF rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka1njl

I'm setting up a shack at our cottage and I've been waiting since May 3rd for a new FT-991a. Today the delivery date was updated to July 27th so I need to make a decision. I can wait and basically lose more than 1/2 the summer if in fact the delivery isn't delayed again, cancel the order and live without a radio until next spring in hopes that a new model is released, or order something else. I've spent a bit of time hanging antennas and running feedlines so I'd like to take advantage of them. I'm currently using an Icom IC-7000 and while it is ok, it is less than ideal. Anyone have any suggestions about what I should do?

ka1njl

The front end is kind of wide and there aren't enough buttons because it's designed to be used as a mobile. I want a bigger display and more buttons. Having said that, I have made a number of contacts with it so it works well, I just want a base rig and the conveniences that come with it.

n5ims

Pretty much everyone is out of stock on most everything at this point. Between the chip shortages that has manufacturing stopped and the shipping issues that has whatever is available taking forever to be shipped things are basically not available anywhere. If you cancel your order, you'll end up at the tail end of the delivery train when a few are delivered to where you ordered from so that's not your best option. At this point, your choice is basically wait and get what you want, use what you have until things start being available, or buy what they have and be happy with it (it may not be exactly what you want, cost more, or otherwise be less desirable but at least you'll get something new).

If you just have to have something now, call (don't do it online, dial the phone) and see what is currently in stock and choose from that limited selection. Prior to giving them your payment info, verify that the item is not just listed as in stock, but the person on the phone has the item in his hot little hands and confirm that it will be shipped right then. You should also verify that any required additional items (like the typically required power supply) are also in stock and ready to be shipped then as well.

prcguy

Do you need a shack in the box with VHF/UHF or just HF? I've used a 7000 and know what you mean, the older 706MKIIG had a better receiver and much less problems operating on low voltage, etc. Have you looked at the Icom IC-7100? I bought one specifically to use as a remote base station with Remote Rig boxes and was very surprised how good the radio is so I bought two more. Its a lot of radio and great performance for a low price and for base station use the remote control head takes up very little space on your desk.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
If you drop out of the logistics line, you'll be moved to the back of the line when you do decide to order and there are no guarantees that the supply situation will improve. I'd suggest you stay in the line and if your order comes in and you don't like it, there will be someone who will want it.

I'm in the same dilemma, but I don't know what I want when it comes to a rig. So, I'm simply doing research for the time being.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
If Icom were to make an updated version of the 7100 HF/VHF/UHF with a waterfall on the control head I would probably buy two. Some WiFi and BT built in like the 705 and I would be very happy. How about dual RX while I am using up wishes.

hmmm…the OP lists various other radios in their signature.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
The front end is kind of wide and there aren't enough buttons because it's designed to be used as a mobile. I want a bigger display and more buttons. Having said that, I have made a number of contacts with it so it works well, I just want a base rig and the conveniences that come with it.
Makes perfectly good sense...and all the thoughts on what happens if you drop out of the ordering queue are good ones. Just keep running the 7000 until you get something else. You'll appreciate the new rig even more. And there are many an op that run an older rig with hardly a display at all and only a few buttons!!!!
1623978674841.png

TexTAC

Take a look at the Yaesu FTDX10 which is available immediately at some places (HRO). It’s a step up from the FT-991 but It won’t cover 2m/70cm.

I am in a similar boat. I really want a FT-991A but have not placed an order. I saw the expected ship date change last night and spent a few hours debating just getting the FTDX10 which I could literally pickup in 10 minutes. In my case, however, I decided that was too big of a step up for my experience level. An FT-991A is better suited for what I envision my needs will be and I will make use of the 2m/70cm bands. Just deciding whether to get on a waiting list or just wait it out at this point.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If Icom were to make an updated version of the 7100 HF/VHF/UHF with a waterfall on the control head I would probably buy two.
How about a Bluetooth connection between base and control head? That would improve installation flexibility.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I bought the FT991A a few months ago. The 2 meter-440 was part of the reason as I am trying to downsize. The menu system is huge, but once you get a few basics, it is easy to use. A couple of weeks ago 10 meters opened up for a few days, and I made several contacts running 80 watts into a vertical on my deck at about 16 feet. I am in Michigan and made contacts in Maine and Florida among others. Reports were very good, and the audio on receive was also great. I also have a G90, but the band coverage of the Yaesu was the deciding point.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Wow, oh wow. That would be a great option. Use an HT battery with the control head when detached, with USB plug power option. Freedom inside/outside the house and the same with a vehicle. The power draw of control head would be less than 705 because no TX, just low power BT. The mic would need direct connection to the control head though. One last thing would be an actual external BT antenna port, or we would end up cutting a hole and adding one ourselves. (Reminds me of a Dell laptop WiFi upgrade I did about 25 years ago)
How about a Bluetooth connection between base and control head? That would improve installation flexibility.

W8WCA

So far I am pretty happy with my Icom IC-7100 looks like they are in stock some places (DX Eng at least) and they are HF-UHF
Not quite as nice as the 991 from what I see though

TexTAC

Check your local Ham Radio Outlet and other internet stores today for the FT-991A. Several sites are indicating they have them in stock now but I’d suggest calling them to confirm. I just placed an order and expect it at my local store by Monday (fingers crossed).

prcguy

The 991 looks pretty with all the colors but on paper the receiver in the 7100 probably works better with crowded bands where the Icom has a 2KHz reciprocal mixing dynamic range of 84dB and the Yaesu is in the 72dB range. However this number is taken from the original non A version of the 991.

So far I am pretty happy with my Icom IC-7100 looks like they are in stock some places (DX Eng at least) and they are HF-UHF
Not quite as nice as the 991 from what I see though

N2IXX

Not sure where you ordered it from but Ham Radio Outlet in Woodbridge VA and Milwaukee WI both have them in stock according to the HRO website.

ka1njl

Drat. I've been following HRO for months and, of course, I didn't check them today. Instead I ordered an FTDX-10 from DXEngineering. It is a much better and more expensive HF and 6M radio. I'll use my IC-7000 for VHF and UHF operations, mostly FM on local repeaters. It will also do USB/LSB if needed but for now I only have a vertical antenna so I won't be doing anything but FM.

TexTAC

Drat. I've been following HRO for months and, of course, I didn't check them today. Instead I ordered an FTDX-10 from DXEngineering. It is a much better and more expensive HF and 6M radio. I'll use my IC-7000 for VHF and UHF operations, mostly FM on local repeaters. It will also do USB/LSB if needed but for now I only have a vertical antenna so I won't be doing anything but FM.
You may be happier with the FTDX-10. As of 12/30/2020, it is listed as the #3 Radio in the Sherwood Test Reports for third-order dynamic range narrow spaced which is pretty impressive considering its price.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
There’s a couple of groups in N TX that run a 2mtr SSB vertical net...might find the same up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.