• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Harris XL400 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
MEGA OUCH that is way to much for a radio....

Come on now, please, think of the children

These radio wars are getting exciting. I'm going to guess the military contractors have the same thing going on over those $1,000 hammers or whatnot except now that the wars are "over", "they" moved to the civil/public safety sector or at least copying their business models

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
We're paying around $7400 for APX-6000XEs with TDMA, AES-256 OTAR, and 3 year service essentials. Thought the XL400 was going to be serious competition for the XE line which has been a fire "go to" portable. Not at $10-15K.

RussH

We're paying around $7400 for APX-6000XEs with TDMA, AES-256 OTAR, and 3 year service essentials. Thought the XL400 was going to be serious competition for the XE line which has been a fire "go to" portable. Not at $10-15K.

Fair... but the APX-6000XE is single-band only, doesn't have LTE capability, and doesn't meet the new NFPA standards. The Harris equivalent would be the XL-185 which, similarly featured, would cost about half of what you're paying.

The difference is that the 6kXEs were pre NFPA 1802. Once Motorola releases its version of an NFPA 1802 spec unit at double the Harris price, then it won't be so bad. As RussH said, you gotta compare apples to apples with this argument and the closest Moto has currently would be an APX8000XE.

12dbsinad

I'm willing to bet the 400 will come in at around 9-10K for a nicely optioned radio. The Mot 8000XE today is a 10K radio fully optioned. NFPA1802 XE will probably be 15K or more I'm willing to bet.

Still doesn't make it right. Still insanely priced for a portable radio no matter how you slice it.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Fair... but the APX-6000XE is single-band only, doesn't have LTE capability, and doesn't meet the new NFPA standards. The Harris equivalent would be the XL-185 which, similarly featured, would cost about half of what you're paying.
Don't need/want multi-band as everyone around here are on 700/800. What is needed is fair competition. The XE is a solid performing radio in the fire service. The NFPA rating is not going to make me try to justify inflating a price double what our agencies are paying today. LTE, WiFi et al is not a need. We don't use RM on our system as it is and even if we did invest in an RM server, we can't manage non-Motorola assets with it so who cares.

I've tried the XL-185. It ain't a fire radio, sorry Harris. Nice portable and fine for law or EMS, but no way I'd put one of those in turnout gear and expect it to survive the way our 6000's have. About the only thing I can say comes close is a Kenwood VP-6000. Now the first gen XE500 RSM's...talk about a POS. 50 percent failure rate on the ones I deployed. All of them at month 13 just outside the 1 year warranty.

conversefeed

Feed Provider
The XL-400 does everything that the XL-200 does it is just more ruggedized and focuses on the Fire Service 37% larger PTT and bigger Top display bigger Emergency button and bigger knobs

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
The XL-400 does everything that the XL-200 does it is just more ruggedized and focuses on the Fire Service 37% larger PTT and bigger Top display bigger Emergency button and bigger knobs

So all the same bugs, battery fitment issues, etc?

And lack of configurable TX tone setup to match wildland fire service?

rjschilder

So all the same bugs, battery fitment issues, etc?

And lack of configurable TX tone setup to match wildland fire service?
Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean by lack of configurable TX tone setup? You can't change the TX 'channel guard' on the fly?

ATBandit

Ouch... just heard though the grapevine that a fully-loaded XL-400 will set you back around $15k each...

pricing isn't finalized or shared with dealers yet - that's also a list price estimate... public safety will be able to buy on gov't purchasing contracts for a sizable discount

ATBandit

The difference is that the 6kXEs were pre NFPA 1802. Once Motorola releases its version of an NFPA 1802 spec unit at double the Harris price, then it won't be so bad. As RussH said, you gotta compare apples to apples with this argument and the closest Moto has currently would be an APX8000XE.

there is only 1 lab currently set up to do NFPA 1802 certifications - that lab has confirmed there aren't any other manufacturers seeking 1802 certification. i'm hearing that motorola's position is their XE radio is sufficient and NFPA 1802 isn't an immediate focus for them.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean by lack of configurable TX tone setup? You can't change the TX 'channel guard' on the fly?

Sorry for the late response. Yes, you CAN change the RX and TX channel guard on the fly, however, it's a fixed list with every CTCSS one. You can't generate a list like you can on the APX or Kenwoods that matches the "standard" wildland 32 tones. You'd have to carry a cheatsheet with you. It's not great for a CAL FIRE or USFS style agency where you're changing tones constantly.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
We can change the tones and frequency on our XG100P. Any tone, DCS of PL and any frequency on the fly. I haven't tried on our XL portables. I would imagine that it would be similar to the 100P.

RussH

We can change the tones and frequency on our XG100P. Any tone, DCS of PL and any frequency on the fly. I haven't tried on our XL portables. I would imagine that it would be similar to the 100P.
rescue161... it's very much a similar process.. but you have to enable a "channel-edit password" in RPM2. This will allow you to adjust these settings on the fly.

RussH

List price $13,195 and should be available in the next couple of months.
Just for laughs, I priced one out earlier this week and that's about what I came up with as well.

Fully loaded, it came out to just shy of $16k

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
while mother moto and Harris keep on jacking up the price for the radios so they can make a profit and do you really think they really care about the end user??? all they see is big $$$ signs that Uncle Sam is willing to pay for a NFPA radio...

Status
Not open for further replies.