NYC DoITT UHF and 800 Type II systems shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStep

I caught part of a Signal 65-2 that was transmitted earlier which seemed to indicated that the FDNY would be leaving the NYC Doitt radio system channels and relocating all or part of their channels to 800 MHz. For years, the FDNY maintained administrative and operational channels on the 400 MHz system, and I heard them mention that some or all channels would be relocated.

As far as I could tell, this will not effect their current dispatch channels. As soon as more information becomes available, or if someone here has more to contribute, please do post.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
DoITT is shutting down the two SmartZone systems (aka Motorola Type II), and migrating everyone over to the ASTRO 25 (P25) system, which has cells in both the 480 and 800 bands.

While it's possible that FDNY will now operate exclusively on the 800 cell of the P25 system, there's really no reason for them to not make use of the 480 cell of that system, given that they have access to multi-band radios now.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Can anyone confirm that the DoITT UHF SmartZone C820 system is now off the air? I'm unable to get a lock on the control channels, only getting the two P25 control channels in that band now.

FDNYSRT4

The UHF, DARS and 800 MHz trunked radio systems was decommissioned on June 30, 2021. These systems
are currently used for administrative functions, special events, hospital notifications, backup dispatch frequencies
and dispatching Volunteer resources (MARS). The current UHF and 800 MHz system with the new 7.X System, a
more robust communications network, and the 7.X channels are now ready for use on the recently reprogrammed
APX 8000 portable radios.
Mobile radios located in Fire Department and Voluntary hospital vehicles, and base station radios located in EMS
stations and RCCs do not have the new 7.X channels and will be reprogrammed/updated in the future. As of
June 30, 2021, these administrative systems will no longer work on mobile and base station radios, but regular
EMS and Fire borough dispatch frequencies, EMS Citywide 1 and 2 will continue to work on them. Until these
radios are updated, field units will be required to access these administrative systems by using the APX radio.
The Department has supplied portable radios to the Volunteer Ambulance Services to use when responding to
assignments within the 911 dispatch system as the MARS system they previously used will cease to operate.
Units and dispatchers should remain cognizant of Volunteer unit presence on our frequencies and assist as
necessary.

4-crime

Can anyone confirm that the DoITT UHF SmartZone C820 system is now off the air? I'm unable to get a lock on the control channels, only getting the two P25 control channels in that band now.
I heard OEM Exec talkgroup active either yesterday or the day before.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
As of tonight, I'm unable to find any active control channel for that system. Both 3A8 UHF cells are full strength, nothing for C820. Are you able to check to see if you can find one?

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
I can also confirm I cannot find the C820 control channel anymore, only Site 30 and Site 31 P25 control channels.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
My reception of 800 is weak. I can pick up the 800 P25 control channel marginally, but not the 800 SmartZone control channel. Is that just lack of reception on my end, or did they kill off that system also?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Disregard, I just listened to the dept message that was transmitted over Citywide 1 this evening. Both SmartZone systems are off the air.

Full text of message:

The UHF DARS and 800 MHz trunked radio systems have reached end of life, and will going offline starting today, June 30th. Ch 6A FD Admin, 6B FD Ops, and 6C FD Communication will no longer be available on apparatus and vehicle mobile radios. The new 7x communications network is replacing the 800 MHz system. The new 7x channels designated as Fire Ops, HazMat Ops, and Marine Ops are only available on the APX portable HT's in Zone C. The apparatus and vehicle mobile radios will be upgraded with these new channels in the near future.

Translation: The UHF and 800 MHz SmartZone systems (C820 and 0A02) are off the air. The P25 system (3A8) is now the only active DoITT trunked system. Currently only the APX 8000 portables have access to the trunked system, with the UHF apparatus mobiles to be reprogrammed eventually.

Stands to reason that FDNY will be capable of operating on either band on the P25 system.

Last edited:
Disregard, I just listened to the dept message that was transmitted over Citywide 1 this evening. Both SmartZone systems are off the air.

Full text of message:

The UHF DARS and 800 MHz trunked radio systems have reached end of life, and will going offline starting today, June 30th. Ch 6A FD Admin, 6B FD Ops, and 6C FD Communication will no longer be available on apparatus and vehicle mobile radios. The new 7x communications network is replacing the 800 MHz system. The new 7x channels designated as Fire Ops, HazMat Ops, and Marine Ops are only available on the APX portable HT's in Zone C. The apparatus and vehicle mobile radios will be upgraded with these new channels in the near future.

Translation: The UHF and 800 MHz SmartZone systems (C820 and 0A02) are off the air. The P25 system (3A8) is now the only active DoITT trunked system. Currently only the APX 8000 portables have access to the trunked system, with the UHF apparatus mobiles to be reprogrammed eventually.

Stands to reason that FDNY will be capable of operating on either band on the P25 system.
I'm kinda of trying to figure out could I monitor FDNY by getting a digital scanner or a one that receives P25 signals? Or do I have a boat anchor for trunking FDNY? i guess all I will get is conventional Dispatch channels now but for how long?

ten13

Premium Subscriber
So we can "avoid" the Site 30 & 31 at this time, correct?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
So far no traffic has been observed on Site 31, however Site 30 is carrying traffic. Avoid it if you don't care about any of the traffic on that cell.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
are the sheriff Talkgroup number correct?? can anyone verify that the sheriff talkgroup no. ??
Anything on the sherriff channel?? is the sherriff channel talkgroup functional ?
I'm not actively monitoring the system. You'll have to either listen for yourself to determine that, or be patient and wait for someone else to answer.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Talkgroup 104 is definitely active on the UHF Simulcast (Site 30), whether or not that is still Sheriff Citywide I don't know, not familiar enough with their operations.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
ok will the transmit power be stronger than curreny uhf dispatch?
FDNY is not switching to this system instead of the current UHF channels, if that's what you're getting at. And as @tbendick stated, the FDNY talkgroups are encrypted anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.