Radar Tracking APPS, etc. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Figured that there are some real experts here who could offer an opinion on:

Would like to subscribe to one of those "radar" sites that provide really good graphics on nearby flights,
but also (all) comms that might be available in real time for the various flights.

The comms are very important for me.

I understand that there are various modes that are utilized, but really don't have a firm handle on this.

There seem to be many options for this.
$25/yr for a subscription, or so, would be fine.

Might someone please suggest which one they would recommend, and perhaps pros and cons for them ?

Much thanks; appreciate the help,
Bob

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
A combination of ADSBExchange and Flightaware is very good. I'm not sure what kind of graphics you are looking for though.

As far as comms., either a scanner or LiveATC.net. Of course, there has to be a feed for that to work, much like Broadcastify here, but if you're in Boston, there should be feeds.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
@alcahuete - I feed and use ADSBExchange. What am I missing by not using Flightaware to monitor? No sarcasm here, it is an honest question. Also, it is my understanding that Flightaware lags behind on reporting as well as allows some aircraft to not be tracked/displayed through their service if requested. I could be wrong. Someone get me up-to-speed if I am. Thank you.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
@alcahuete - I feed and use ADSBExchange. What am I missing by not using Flightaware to monitor? No sarcasm here, it is an honest question. Also, it is my understanding that Flightaware lags behind on reporting as well as allows some aircraft to not be tracked/displayed through their service if requested. I could be wrong. Someone get me up-to-speed if I am. Thank you.

You're probably not missing anything. You know what you're doing. :) For a brand new person (the OP is presumably new to the hobby), ADSB Exchange doesn't give the full picture. For example, NKS1653 is over my house right now. ADSBe only gives part of the picture. Doesn't give the origin, destination, route, etc. That's where FlightAware would come into play. The flight is going from BUR to LAS, planning FL230 and SLAPP2 MISEN RNDRZ1, etc. Maybe that interests people, maybe not.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I forgot about the flight start/end locations as I rarely look for that. It is a very good point for those that want to know.

I feed/use Planefinder as well, so a good chunk of California is also covered from my feed. I used PlanePlotter early on, but that got old for various reasons.
& Planefinder app for squawk alerts :)

Best to use all sources(Aircraft tracking websites/apps)!

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Primarily use ADSB Exchange but have to use FlightAware to supplement. In my AO there are quite a few receivers providing coverage but there are times where its missing a few GA aircraft, and not getting MLAT either is where FlightAware supplments with its FAA radar feed

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Does this site show departure and arrival location? Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but I don't see it.
FR24 shows arrival & departure on scheduled flights, but filters out most military aircraft, and many are listed as "Private" by request. ADSBX can be checked on those, as they do not filter results.

nah95

I guess you could choose between FlightRadar24/PlaneFinder/RadarBox/FlightAware based on your preference for the interfaces and layout, and use LiveATC for audio.

You can use RadarBox for tracking and ATC feeds together. Their flight tracking is quite good, however, their ATC feeds aren't as comprehensive as LiveATC.net.

Status
Not open for further replies.