Pro-96/2096 DSP 1.3 Upgrade Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud

Restoring 1.2

rckydenver said:
Well, I went back to 1.2, I was getting a bunch of braaap sounds with the 1.3, with my other 96 with the 1.2 side by side nothing on that one. I did sound alittle 'crisper' as stated above. I guess the 1.3 works very well in Detroit...

Noticing what appears to be more errors with 1.3 monitoring the Horsetooth machine in Fort Collins.

Found correct instructions for restoring default version on RR Wiki.

Hope 1.3 helps others but will stay with 1.2 here.

The Spud

Last edited:

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
firescannerbob said:
I don't listen to too much DTRS traffic (pretty much just CSP District 2 and some DougCo fire traffic), but I haven't seen this "drop out" problem that others have described.

Find a site that is getting hammered pretty heavy and it will show up. Since the state system is transmission tunking with immediate dekey at the EOT I get the early impression that when an immediate rekey occurs on the same voice channel that the DSP ends up losing sync. Not always but seems random as others have pointed out.

FWIW the COS/EPSO ASTRO smartzone system is transaction based with a 1 to 2 second hang time at EOT's. Same goes for the Mil systems in COS and Federal 400 ASTRO smartzone system in the metro area. I have not had too much time monitoring the 400 Fed system to see if the 1.3 codec is having issues on their system.

Also using the radio for conventionally monitoring DTRS voice channels you do get the digital bursts before it starts decoding the voice data. It probably is annoying for people in Los Angeles and other areas monitoring conventional P25.

Phil.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
Whatever...

scanlist said:
Find a site that is getting hammered pretty heavy and it will show up. Since the state system is transmission tunking with immediate dekey at the EOT I get the early impression that when an immediate rekey occurs on the same voice channel that the DSP ends up losing sync. Not always but seems random as others have pointed out.

FWIW the COS/EPSO ASTRO smartzone system is transaction based with a 1 to 2 second hang time at EOT's. Same goes for the Mil systems in COS and Federal 400 ASTRO smartzone system in the metro area. I have not had too much time monitoring the 400 Fed system to see if the 1.3 codec is having issues on their system.

Also using the radio for conventionally monitoring DTRS voice channels you do get the digital bursts before it starts decoding the voice data. It probably is annoying for people in Los Angeles and other areas monitoring conventional P25.

Phil.

Yeah, I guess I should find a DTRS site with more traffic than Cheyenne Mountain... It's footprint is so large I think everything within several counties hits it. Geez...

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
firescannerbob said:
Yeah, I guess I should find a DTRS site with more traffic than Cheyenne Mountain... It's footprint is so large I think everything within several counties hits it. Geez...

No problems off Lookout Mtn or Thorodin and don't believe there are busier sites than those.

Jim<

SCPD

QRT
jimmnn said:
No problems off Lookout Mtn or Thorodin and don't believe there are busier sites than those.

Jim<

I've had the loss of decoding on both of those sites. It's not often, but just enough to be annoying. I will most likely go back to 1.2 also.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
firescannerbob said:

Lighten up. Nothing disparaging was being implied. I have no idea how busy that site is since I live "near Wyoming".

Phil.

rickak

Yep

mpg0515 said:
I would really like to hear from some more of the Colorado folks on here using 96/2096 and see if you are having the same issues. Not to say that Phil is not enough of a confirmation for me, I just like hearing other input on this. Thanks logitec for your response.

Yes indeed, I get the occational digital bursts too on both the 96 and the 2096. I cannot say it happens more often with the 1.3 however.

This, combined with these scanners' losing their ability to track talkgroups on a busy tower, has turned me into quite a Uniden fan :).

Rick

luke-1

I'm going back to the 1.2 also.

The dropouts are far worse, and the Analog interference on the Greenwood tower is driving me crazy.

Keep in mind that reverting back using the "0,clear, enter" method will take older radios back to "1.1". I found that out the hard way.

G_Man

Feed Provider
Hope this is not considered off topic due to my location.

.02¢ worth from Westmoreland County Pennsylvania...

Monitoring the county's local Moto P-25 800Mhz 9600bps digi-simulacast TRS here (System 152), using two 2096's and one 96. Applied the upgrade to one 2096 and the 96 first, to compare to v1.2 left in the other 2096, for comparitive testing. Results below were almost identical for each upgraded radio.

:^) PROS:
Decoding with v1.3 definitely produces a 'clearer', 'smoother sounding' voice audio (to my ears) than v1.2, with better volume balance between transmissions (Digi-AGC on). I tested this by comparing the v1.2 radio to a v1.3 radio side by side using headphones. The upgraded 96 in mobile ops also had an increased ability to receive & decode the system in areas of decreased signal, where before either serious breakup or no reception was the case.

:^( CONS:
Upgrading to v1.3 produced very similar results here to what others have previously posted regarding decode drops. Whereas v1.2 very seldomly produced the 1-2 second lead-in non-decoded audio "noise", v1.3 has easily doubled (or more) that phenomenon. This happens randomly, on multiple TalkGroups, many which have never done this on v1.2.

Bottom line here...
A plus that the upgrade improves the quality of the decoded audio, and improves the gain on fringe signals, but a minus in that the decode "drops" become much more frequent (= annoying), causing missed transmission content.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
luke-1 said:
I'm going back to the 1.2 also.

The dropouts are far worse, and the Analog interference on the Greenwood tower is driving me crazy.

Keep in mind that reverting back using the "0,clear, enter" method will take older radios back to "1.1". I found that out the hard way.

I think it depends on what version was installed at the factory. If your radio had 1.2 from the factory, that key combo will return it to 1.2, not 1.1.
One of mine had 1.1 from the factory, the other (bought months later) had 1.2.

WaveRunner

Looks as though there is a newer version of this up. The old one is from 8/30 and the new version is from 9/3/06.

Last edited:

kikito

Premium Subscriber
WaveRunner said:
Looks as though there is a newer version of this up. The old one is from 8/30 and the new version is from 9/3/06.

Yeah, I just noticed that too, the newer one is called: "dsp_v13.exe"

I wonder if this is a "revision" to address the decode drop outs that many people have reported.....

Last edited:

G_Man

Feed Provider
Are you sure there is a new version? It looks the same here. Where are you seeing the newer date of 9/3/06? When downloading, the file will take on the current date from your PC as you save it to disk... possibly that's what you're seeing? It is a bit confusing the way these file are presented on the RS site, with very little description of what they are. Here is a breakdown the way I see it:

There are three separate download links, all being shown with a "Date Added" of: 2006-08-17

DOWNLOAD #1 - The actual download ("dsp_v13.exe") is a self-extracting ZIP file containing a payload of two compressed files "2000526_UPG_13.exe" which is the v1.3 Updater Utility, and "readme.pdf" instructions. If you open the ZIP using WinZip (or equivelant), you can see that the file inside "2000526_UPG_13.exe" is (still) dated 8/30/2006 10:53, and "readme.pdf" is dated 8/23/2006 14:59.

DOWNLOAD #2 - This download seems to be an UNZIPPED copy of the v1.3 Updater Utility "2000526_UPG_13.exe" alone, without the accompanying "readme.pdf" instruction file. It appears to be identical with the version contained inside the ZIP above.

DOWNLOAD #3 - This download is another self-extracting ZIP container, holding a payload of two files, "PRO96U12.EXE" which is the v1.2 Updater Utility dated 1/28/2004 14:23, and "PRO96U12_Instr.pdf" instructions dated 1/30/2004 16:15.

WaveRunner

kikito said:
Yeah, I just noticed that too, the newer one is called: "dsp_v13.exe"

I wonder if this is a "revision" to address the decode drop outs that many people have reported.....
Not sure, but so far I have only go one "drop off" since last night. So it may be an improvement. HOPEFULLY!

WaveRunner

DOWNLOAD #1 - The actual download ("dsp_v13.exe") is a self-extracting ZIP file containing a payload of two compressed files "2000526_UPG_13.exe" which is the v1.3 Updater Utility, and "readme.pdf" instructions. If you open the ZIP using WinZip (or equivelant), you can see that the file inside "2000526_UPG_13.exe" is (still) dated 8/30/2006 10:53, and "readme.pdf" is dated 8/23/2006 14:59.

Am I seeing things? If you unzip the dsp_v13.exe the file and set you mouse over the file inside it says date created 8/30 and the 2000526_UPG says date created 9/3. Guess someone who created these should come in here and tell us which is which LOL!

rananthony04

I've downloaded the "revised" dsp_v13.exe (the one with the PDF readme file) and I can say that I have had no dropouts, yet the audio quality seems to be the same compared to the 1.2.(maybe its just me?) There also seems to be somewhat better coverage. So far, I would say that it is an improvement.

West of the Muddy Creek, East of the Big Hill.
After upgrading again earlier this morning, the dropouts still takes place, but not as bad as they were last week with the previous version of the 1.3 upgrade.

Going back to the 1.2 version and staying with it will be the best route to take.

Noticed no change in the audio on the with this upgrade. Seems to have lost the crisp audio with the last upgrade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.