Uniden BC200XLT Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidebander

OK, I know its old and a 20th century Scanner, but it was always a favorite scanner of mine. My original 200 was stolen after several years of ownership. I then bought another 200 on Ebay. I've had some issues such as replacing the battery pack and after charging it the radio will still not turn on and do its thing.

I'm open for any suggestions on getting this radio scanning again. There is still lots of analog signals to tune into.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
There are places that can rebuild the battery pack replacing the cells. I myself don't know of any as I haven't needed this service since my 296D scanner years ago. Someone from RR may know of this type of place and can pass it on to you.

Sidebander

There are places that can rebuild the battery pack replacing the cells. I myself don't know of any as I haven't needed this service since my 296D scanner years ago. Someone from RR may know of this type of place and can pass it on to you.
Gotcha, thnx. for info.. I would think I can do it myself, open pack, remove and replace the batteries themselves, maybe I try that.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Gotcha, thnx. for info.. I would think I can do it myself, open pack, remove and replace the batteries themselves, maybe I try that.
A business such as Batteries Plus might be able to fabricate a replacement battery pack for you. They show several locations in your state. (Unknown whether any are close to you.)

I'm sure that there are other businesses that can do this, but Batteries Plus is the only specific name I can recall at the moment.

Sidebander

A business such as Batteries Plus might be able to fabricate a replacement battery pack for you. They show several locations in your state. (Unknown whether any are close to you.)

I'm sure that there are other businesses that can do this, but Batteries Plus is the only specific name I can recall at the moment.
Thnx., I will look into them, they had a store near me some years ago that closed, out of business, see what other locs. they may be at.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I recall when I had the 200XLT same thing about not starting up on batteries. Something wrong on the circuit board or on the circuit board in the battery pack.

Way I could always then get it to work was to plug in the ac adapter or from the 9 volt charger in the car and turn it on, then unplug it and it would work off batteries. I recall seeing this issue in the past on here, seems a common problem.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Does it run on external power? Here is a suggestion from another member, Essexscan: try holding the 2-9-manual buttons down and turn it on to reset the cpu

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
the 2, 9, manual - That also clears all the frequencies out using that. Won't fix the hardware issue. He said it wont turn on so that wouldn't work.
Its not the issue imho, it was a fairly common problem and as said I experienced it as well.

Far as the battery pack, its such an old radio, ones I've seen currently left that have the battery pack are $60 - $80 ! more than the radio is worth. See if you can or find someone knowledgeable to diagnose the circuit problem. Its a small board in the pack, only a few components I recall. Wouldn't be surprised a diode issue to replace.
Find a another 200 xlt and hope for the best or just get a new current analog scanner if that's what you want.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

mc48

Premium Subscriber
You can open the battery pack and replace the cells. They came with NiCad but I replaced them with NiMh when I still had my 200.
You need to find cells that are flat on both ends with solder tabs and then you can solder wire or copper strips as jumpers to build the cells into a pack. Remember to fabricate the cells so they will fit back into the case. I just used wire and electrical tape to hold them in shape and to insulate the terminals, Using NiMh cells also increases capacity for longer run times. I wish I still had my 200 but the display went bad and it was impossible to use after that, back in the day you could modify the board by removing a resistor and listen to cellular phones.

Sidebander

You can open the battery pack and replace the cells. They came with NiCad but I replaced them with NiMh when I still had my 200.
You need to find cells that are flat on both ends with solder tabs and then you can solder wire or copper strips as jumpers to build the cells into a pack. Remember to fabricate the cells so they will fit back into the case. I just used wire and electrical tape to hold them in shape and to insulate the terminals, Using NiMh cells also increases capacity for longer run times. I wish I still had my 200 but the display went bad and it was impossible to use after that, back in the day you could modify the board by removing a resistor and listen to cellular phones.
Back in the early 90's when I had my bx200xlt It always received Cell Phones on 800 and 900 Mhz. Frequencies. I never removed a resistor. Technology has advanced and no longer can I tune the Cell Phones on the bc200xlt. Glad to say I just enabled my bc200xlt earlier today to turn on and come back to life. It seems the battery pack PCB needed a spray of contact cleaner. I've programmed a few frequencies in and so far so good, not perfect but not bad. I have it plugged into the Wallwart at this time, not sure if radio is going to work without it just yet. Stand by, will let you know.

Sidebander

Back in the early 90's when I had my bx200xlt It always received Cell Phones on 800 and 900 Mhz. Frequencies. I never removed a resistor. Technology has advanced and no longer can I tune the Cell Phones on the bc200xlt. Glad to say I just enabled my bc200xlt earlier today to turn on and come back to life. It seems the battery pack PCB needed a spray of contact cleaner. I've programmed a few frequencies in and so far so good, not perfect but not bad. I have it plugged into the Wallwart at this time, not sure if radio is going to work without it just yet. Stand by, will let you know.
Its great to have my Uniden BC200XLT Scanner Scanning again somewhat. The problem is that the scanner will not turn on with the battery pack installed. My Volt Meter shows 8V when I measure the O/P V. I am open to any thoughts or suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.