• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL2500 Analog Only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
I have been looking to pick up an XTL2500 to access a few 7-800 P25 and analog conventional channels, and came across one that is listed as analog only.

I do not recall a non-P25 capable XTL2500. Did Moto really make an analog only XTL2500?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
They are all physically capable of P25. The flashcode determines the features that are enabled. It's certainly possible to have an 'analog only' flashcode.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yep, when we rebanded our old SmartNet system, the old Spectra 800MHz radios were replaced with analog only XTL-2500's.
Pretty sure they had the 700MHz part of the spectrum unavailable, also.

It's all about the flashcode.

N4KVE

Yep, when we rebanded our old SmartNet system, the old Spectra 800MHz radios were replaced with analog only XTL-2500's.
Pretty sure they had the 700MHz part of the spectrum unavailable, also.

It's all about the flashcode.
Those Nextel reband radios were 800, & analog only. The last 4 digits of the model # were W2BN. There was a “RB” on the tag to identify them. The radio would have to be “upgraded” to a W7BN to get the 700 MHz band working, & a digital FC to get what you want. But you’ll have to look “underground” for that upgrade, as these radios are no longer supported by the factory. Plenty of folks on E-Bay offer that service.

sefrischling

Thanks for the info.

Over the years I have had, used and programmed quite a few XTL2500s and never seen one with a flash code that was analog only. I learned something new today.

Thanks.

sefrischling

Plenty of folks on E-Bay offer that service.

eBay is where I replaced the last XTL2500, a UHF MedRadio for our ambulance. Replacing it was easier than writing a whole new code plug for the mandated 120 channels ... when we only really use three of them.

N4KVE

Thanks for the info.

Over the years I have had, used and programmed quite a few XTL2500s and never seen one with a flash code that was analog only. I learned something new today.

Thanks.
When rebanding happened, the current radios of the day could not be “upgraded” to follow the new band plan. So Moto exchanged out the old radios for new ones, but didn’t want to put users in a better place. So even though the newer radios could do 700, & digital, they made special “cheap” RB models that could work on the proper reband system, but we’re still analog, & 800 only. The tag has the RB mark to identify it. Also the specific W2BN on the model #,
like this one.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Those Nextel reband radios were 800, & analog only. The last 4 digits of the model # were W2BN. There was a “RB” on the tag to identify them. The radio would have to be “upgraded” to a W7BN to get the 700 MHz band working, & a digital FC to get what you want. But you’ll have to look “underground” for that upgrade, as these radios are no longer supported by the factory. Plenty of folks on E-Bay offer that service.

Yeah, I hung on to a few when I retired that old system. I had plans to use them, or swap out for an old VHF deck, but never got around to it. Some day I'll have to dig those out and do something with them.

tyler3328

As other have said it’s all about the flashcode. I have even seen analog only flashed APX devices

Status
Not open for further replies.