• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

BKR 9000

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I had the pleasure of visiting the plant in Melbourne a couple of weeks ago, really nice people there too at BK

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
I humorously suggested low band before it becomes cool again. The old guys agreed.

They are aware of the limitations. I have the 8000 for that reason. I don’t sign the checks but selling something that sounds super tech and modern isn’t too difficult to non radio people.

As for myself, if you would read my previous posts you can gather I’m attempting to dissuade the powers that be with the checkbook to change their minds about the NEXT. Although I believe it is a very neat system I don’t think it is the best solution for the city and county.

I personally believe that investing in proper 5/8 antennas over the $12 dinky wire antennas on the patrol cars and vehicular repeaters would cost much less and solve the problems they are having. That would be too logical though. We are to the point a trunked system is probably needed. Tennessee has a statewide P25 Phase II trunked system that can be joined - that is our plan.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Yep, before a large sum of taxpayer money gets blown, promises made by sales folks who are ghost as soon as the purchase order signed, this is a case where a consultant with a written recommendation can be a true asset.
The idea of software as a service for LMR isn't going away, and should be known up front before buying fancy toys that may not be practical or cost effective in the long run.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
The BKR5000 is ONLY VHF, no other bands are available. The BKR 9000 has been pushed out to Spring (BK is now saying entire Seasons). All orders are now EIGHT WEEKS FOR FULLFILLMENT.

Spring of what year? I tried working to get these for my now former department two years ago. I told my current department they simply do not seem viable, based on my contact with BK, when I was asked to look into them as a possible all-band solution. BK sent me quotes two years ago and then all contact just vanished.

Last edited:

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Spring of what year? I tried working to get these for my now former department two years ago. I told my current department they simply do not seem viable, based on my contact with BK, when I was asked to look into them as a possible all-band solution. BK sent me quotes two years ago and then all contact just vanished.
Sounds like a typical move advanced out of Las Cruces NM does. Quote today...... gone tomorrow.

GLNWDFD481

Premium Subscriber
They hired a top shelf Engineering team that a BIG company dumped which they are known to do when they are getting paid to much. Team scratched the original BKR9K and re-engineered it with the new team from the ground up. I got hold the new demo housing at FDIC similar to the BKR5k smaller and more rounded housing. Test radios should hit the streets later this year to iron out any issues. Then production will begin.

gtaman

I was gonna say look at all the other manufactures compared to BK. BK has one production warehouse with ~employees for the entire company. Ive been reassured again that the BKR-9000 will be released eventually. The difference between the 5000 and the 9000 is a few cosmetic things and an RF board.

Relm/BK has always relied on GOVT contracts so they are always bending over for them.

I’ve ditched Motorola because they want to look at everything you do with RM. Plus they absolutely price gouge you on everything.

BK is just buy the cable and the software and send it.

From looking at and actually holding a 5000 it’s looks like they are going back to the indestructible DPH/GPH roots.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
When you call BK Technologies now, and press #4, as directed by their brochures, it rings and then turns to a fast busy signal.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
They hired a top shelf Engineering team that a BIG company dumped which they are known to do when they are getting paid to much. Team scratched the original BKR9K and re-engineered it with the new team from the ground up. I got hold the new demo housing at FDIC similar to the BKR5k smaller and more rounded housing. Test radios should hit the streets later this year to iron out any issues. Then production will begin.

Red Cocoa?

jeffycc

Yep, another thing that turned me off on Motorola.
Overpriced radio and cloud programming. Not going to happen for a small agency.

Be patient. The radio is coming! I have a customer who wants the 9000 right now. I told him to wait a little because it will be an amazing radio. You'll be able to a-la-carte type of thing. Single band, dual band or tri band. And from what I'm hearing is the price will be less than an APX8000.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Be patient. The radio is coming! I have a customer who wants the 9000 right now. I told him to wait a little because it will be an amazing radio. You'll be able to a-la-carte type of thing. Single band, dual band or tri band. And from what I'm hearing is the price will be less than an APX8000.

Yeah, I talked with BK at IWCE a few years ago and they said the price will be well below Motorola.

I suspect we'll see it at IWCE either next month or next spring.

I was looking at the 5000 at APCO last week, nice looking radio, but haven't had the opportunity to use one.

publicsafetyradio

Premium Subscriber
I inquired about this radio back in October 2020. A rep from BK stated they planned to release in April or May of 21. I realize we aren’t too far past that date, but it has been delayed several times in the past.

Variety is the spice of life, but I don’t expect this radio to knock Harris and Motorola off the Wheaties box any time soon. With that in mind there does need to be more budget friendly options in the world for small counties and cities. Not everyone will need a radio capable of a midnight jump into hostile territories although I think the radio will be pretty rugged based on BK’s reputation.

Food for thought at least.

THE BKR9000 Release date is Jan 2023 9000   2022 sept.jpg

jeffycc

Do you know what the price for a full feature all band will be? Has to be TDMA enabled. Roughly of course.

Yes. Some dealers do have that price available. But, I will refrain from making it public due to the request from BK. If you need a price, you can email me at Jeff@Beltronics.net. I'd be happy to email you an exact price for the exact model your interested in.