Setting up P25RX One-Click "zones" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Is there a way to set up the P25RX to have specific “Groups” “Zones” or whatever you want to call them?

For some reason I can’t clear out the talk groups no longer in use. The P25RX came with some Tis already in there, I can’t clear them out. I went to Virginia, I can’t clear those out.

I want to be able to set it up so when I am in Connecticut East I listen only to specific TGs, Connecticut Central I listen only to specific TGs, Connecticut West I listen only to specific TGs, Connecticut SECT I listen only to specific TGs and then Rhode Island South.

Not where I have to check off TGs, and uncheck TGs, but only specific TGs as I move point to point, quickly. One click access.

I love the P25RX, I think it performs very well, I just want to use it more effectively.

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
This would be a wonderful feature for me, as well. When you have a lot of talk groups, it becomes tedious and time consuming to locate and enable/disable talk groups for various regions or agency types. Predetermined groups would simplify this tasks.

Maybe this could be accomplished by having an additional column in the talk group editor where a numeric value can be assigned for the group that the talk group would be assigned. (No number assigned would be always on, "1" for group 1, etc.) Then a place where you can enable these groups.

Reactions: btt

sefrischling

This would be a wonderful feature for me, as well. When you have a lot of talk groups, it becomes tedious and time consuming to locate and enable/disable talk groups for various regions or agency types.

I usually have mine hooked up to a Toughbook and use it while driving. I use this differently than my radio and Unication G5. I tend to keep the P25RX locked onto a very specific cluster of TalkGroups that give me vital secondary information. But changing them on the fly is a challenge i can't do it while driving.

A "one touch" would be very easy while driving.

I like the idea of columns, as you suggested. A very user friendly approach.

djbisme

Premium Subscriber
I'm a newer P25RX user and have had it about 3wks now - pretty impressed so far. The concept of a 'favorites' list, such as used in scanners like the Uniden (or they could be called 'zones' to align more with the amateur radios), would be awesome. Being able to assign TGs to a favorites list, then be able to switch between these favorites easily is definitely needed.

I plan to start using my P25 mobile more now, and a way to switch or activate favorite lists w/o the computer interface would be very helpful as well. Maybe assigning one of the button sequences that cycle through the favorites each time it is activated?

Extending this idea out to an external display that some are apparently working on (according some other posts here?) would be awesome while mobile. Have one of the screens on the display list out the favorites lists, then be able to tap to switch/activate an appropriate favorite.

Just some ideas to add to the wish-list. =)

btt

Banned
Banned
I'm planning on adding the TG zones next. I probably already asked, but what would be a reasonable number of TG zones? Would eight be enough? I'm planning on adding a TG Zone column to the TG editor tab. Check-box enables for each of the zones (enable/disable) will be available on one of the tabs. I'm thinking it would also be handy to have toggle-buttons labeled 1-8 on the "global status" area next to the H, S, Mute buttons. These buttons would allow instantaneous (not stored in flash) control of the active TG zones. Thoughts?

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
I'm planning on adding the TG zones next. I probably already asked, but what would be a reasonable number of TG zones? Would eight be enough? I'm planning on adding a TG Zone column to the TG editor tab. Check-box enables for each of the zones (enable/disable) will be available on one of the tabs. I'm thinking it would also be handy to have toggle-buttons labeled 1-8 on the "global status" area next to the H, S, Mute buttons. These buttons would allow instantaneous (not stored in flash) control of the active TG zones. Thoughts?
Yes!

W0RS

Premium Subscriber
Wow! I am beginning to think Todd is a machine, not human 😁 The guy never stops making his product better.....👍👍👍👍

btt

Banned
Banned
It hasn't been tested much yet, but TG Zone support has been added to the P25RX-II software/firmware (01-02_0918). I'll try to get the P25RX done by the end of the day.
tgzones.png

btt

Banned
Banned
TG Zone support has been added to the P25RX. (2022-01-02_1045). Be sure to back up your talk groups before the update.

sefrischling

For me it is 12 zones, just because I break things down with some OCD, but if I can get 8 zones, that is still easier than how I am working with the P25RX now.

btt

Banned
Banned
Found a bug in the TG Zone support. Firmware has been updated for both models.

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
Found a bug in the TG Zone support. Firmware has been updated for both models.

edit: working correctly now in versions 01-02_1318, and 01-02_1319.
I found the bug, too. ...but I didn't know it was a bug! I thought it was something that I was doing wrong. :ROFLMAO:

I can report that the TG Zone is working with the newest versions on both models. Also receiving great! Thanks for your efforts!

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
For some reason, version _1319 doesn't work for me. I'm getting good control channel decodes, but no talkgroups ever appear.

I went back to _1845, which works. I did notice on the "Display View" tab, the "H" and "S" buttons appear twice on the bottom right of this page. Do they do the same thing?

Also, I feed my audio to a bluetooth speaker, and the "Mute" button doesn't work ("Display View" tab). Maybe it isn't supposed to?

btt

Banned
Banned
For some reason, version _1319 doesn't work for me. I'm getting good control channel decodes, but no talkgroups ever appear.

I went back to _1845, which works. I did notice on the "Display View" tab, the "H" and "S" buttons appear twice on the bottom right of this page. Do they do the same thing?

Also, I feed my audio to a bluetooth speaker, and the "Mute" button doesn't work ("Display View" tab). Maybe it isn't supposed to?
After you update, you will want to re-import your talk group backup (or DSD import). This will set the TG Zone column to all '1's. Then, at the bottom of the page, click the Zone 1 enable check box and 'Write Zone Enable'. After that, you should notice the '1' button light up a green color. If you have all the TG Zones disabled, you won't ever decode.

You are correct about the Mute button not muting Bluetooth. It only mutes audio from the PC speakers. I will look into something to resolve this.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
When I tried _1319, I noticed that all eight buttons were already green. (I didn't know what they were for). Maybe I just didn't have it set up correctly. I did re-import my talkgroups.

kb8q

Premium Subscriber
Bravo with the implementation of Zones. I can take my monitoring scheme to the next level with those as soon as I get a good logic plan. Works great and I've got it running in both radio types. I guess we've now gone from a gold standard radio to the diamond level. Great work Todd.

btt

Banned
Banned
When I tried _1319, I noticed that all eight buttons were already green. (I didn't know what they were for). Maybe I just didn't have it set up correctly. I did re-import my talkgroups.
If the zone column was correct (1-8) and the corresponding 1-8 buttons are green, and the talk group is enabled, it should be working.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
If the zone column was correct (1-8) and the corresponding 1-8 buttons are green, and the talk group is enabled, it should be working.
After playing around with it a bit, I was able to get it working.

Status
Not open for further replies.