This just made me grin . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB2GOM

I read invergordon's post: Anything on the aviation frequencies?

Following the link to his HF reception logs HF Reception Log | HF Aero Blog I started punching in some of his frequencies into my Grundig Satellit 800. I entered 13303 and for some reason tuned a little higher.

At 13306 USB, I encountered a flight controller working Ethiopian 8801, Air France 499, Air France 884, Air Portugal 277. I believe it might have been New York. NY, which is about 135 miles south of me. I could not hear the planes.

The controller was crystal clear on my Satellit 800 and this: Jock designs a Horizontal Room Loop to cope with reception issues

For many years, I wrote for Passport to World Radio, Popular Communications, and Monitoring Times. Recently I just started getting back into HF listening, and I was thrilled to hear SSB communications loud and clear. It made me grin to hear someone doing their job on the HF bands and taking care of business.

Thanks for the link to the reception log.

wscranston

OK, I'll display my ignorance: what's NAT-A?

Nevermind, I found it!
I'll plug 13306 in to see if I hear anything. Unfortunately it's not like the old days in the 80s and 90s as many operators have moved to satellite based comms. I used to love listening to the North Atlantic tracks at night and imagine those tiny little planes way out in the middle of the huge Atlantic.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber

The northeast US channels might be worth exploring (8846/11396) Also try 17946 for the secondary eastern altantic channel. I was briefly getting NY Center on my scanner the other night talking to a flight over the ocean heading to Africa. I think it was 128.925 if I remember right. Was static filled but could hear it from SE New England ok.

I've been listening to LiveATC oceanic lately at night. In case anyone else wants to join in-

Status
Not open for further replies.