Hours wasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkmcintosh1973

Premium Subscriber
First off, I must admit that I'm green newbie.
Recvd my WS1040 today. Went to RR and paid the $15.00 premium fee. Next I wnt to starrsoft and followed the win500 directions. I uploaded all the data to the scanner. Im south of Houston, TX. In Victoria County. I should be hearing all types of info. Instead, every now and then I hear some 'under water soung gurrgle talk'. Everything around here is digital. What I see on the scanner when that gurgle talk comes up shoes to be CONV. I've spent hours trying to troubleshoot. This thing is so overwhelming and information overload. Ive considered a total reset but, I dont know what I'd do different on the info gather and upload.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
For any other prospective digital scanner buyers, being a newbie as you say, do some research prior, many people I must say don't.

Im sure what your hearing is encryption being used.

Look under MODE at Victoria County/Jackson County Trunking System, Victoria, Texas - Scanner Frequencies
Lot of DE - encrypted, only ones that you could hear are those with D only. So you would not program those with DE, of course is there much left and are they active enough for your interests?

You can tune these in minus for same reason the police, but then any cheap non digital scanner can get these.

With this said up to you if you want to send it back while you can?

Other discussions for your county Victoria PD new system

Last edited:

jkmcintosh1973

Premium Subscriber
Thank you sir,
Yes, encryption is what I'm hearing.
I was under the assumption that when Victoria changed/updated it's radio to digital... that I'd be able to pick that up with a 'digital' scanner. (WS1040)
Every now and then something will come through crystal clear.
I've watched videos. Read many articles, etc.
I honestly thought I'd did my homework.
Disappointed..

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you sir,
Yes, encryption is what I'm hearing.
I was under the assumption that when Victoria changed/updated it's radio to digital... that I'd be able to pick that up with a 'digital' scanner. (WS1040)
Every now and then something will come through crystal clear.
I've watched videos. Read many articles, etc.
I honestly thought I'd did my homework.
Disappointed..

In addition to the encryption, which is used on almost all of the law enforcement, fire, and EMS talkgroups in Victoria County, Victoria is actually using a two-site simulcast. But that, unfortunately, is of no consequence due to the use of encryption. Is the city still using their conventional channels?

Are you able to hear Jackson County, which is not tagged with the dreaded E? I only see one Jackson TGID listed. Might there be others? Or are they still being heard on their conventional channels, shown on that county's database page.

Status
Not open for further replies.