• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

USB programming cable for XTL5000 WHAT ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin

I was looking to find a USB programming cable for XTL 5000, now all I found have a round connector.
All of the XTLs I have seen have sub D type connections.
Whats up with that ??
73s

clbsquared

The XTL5000's with the W series head are programmed through the rear accessory port. The XTL5000's with the O series heads can be programmed through the mic GCAI port (round connector on face of head) or the rear accessory port. Hi power models use a different cable.
What model do you have?

Last edited:

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
HKN6184C will program from the mic connector as clbsquared stated.

In my case I have a O3 HHCH in use so I have to use HKN6160B power, speaker, and programming cable. Although it is a serial type cable I use an adapter to change to USB without any hiccups. Mine is only 50 watts though so for high pawrr I can’t say what will or won’t work. The HKN6160 I think will cover all the base for the 50 watts stuff though so it is probably a good investment because it saves you from some frustrating Motorola quirks.

finding a serial port on anything these days is rather difficult. I looked high and low just to find a 9 pin serial cable around last month.

merlin

The XTL5000's with the W series head are programmed through the rear accessory port. The XTL5000's with the O series heads can be programmed through the mic GCAI port (round connector on face of head) or the rear accessory port. Hi power models use a different cable.
What model do you have?
OK, I got it. I don't have the head number but it has the two DB25 plugs on back and the rectangle mic plug.
Just says 'Astro' on the front.
the 2 mobiles are same, M20URS9PW1AN , one front mount, one rear mount with everything.
Heads are the same,(see attachment)
I already ordered the rear programming cable ( Data+Ignit+Speaker) . (HKN6160 ?)
I have a USB to male DB9 cable so much all set. Just puzzled when I came to the round connector.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 43

merlin

HKN6184C will program from the mic connector as clbsquared stated.

In my case I have a O3 HHCH in use so I have to use HKN6160B power, speaker, and programming cable. Although it is a serial type cable I use an adapter to change to USB without any hiccups. Mine is only 50 watts though so for high pawrr I can’t say what will or won’t work. The HKN6160 I think will cover all the base for the 50 watts stuff though so it is probably a good investment because it saves you from some frustrating Motorola quirks.

finding a serial port on anything these days is rather difficult. I looked high and low just to find a 9 pin serial cable around last month.
I have an FTDI cable and the HKN6160 should be here another week. The radios I am sure are high power, 700/800 Mhz but I think this cable will work on all the XTL radios.
A couple XTS 5000s in the lot too, getting the USB cable for those, Everything else I have, just a lot of digging in archives. (software, SMs, firmware, codeplugs etc) A lot of reading, been away from Motorola way to long.
73s

clbsquared

I have an FTDI cable and the HKN6160 should be here another week. The radios I am sure are high power, 700/800 Mhz but I think this cable will work on all the XTL radios.
A couple XTS 5000s in the lot too, getting the USB cable for those, Everything else I have, just a lot of digging in archives. (software, SMs, firmware, codeplugs etc) A lot of reading, been away from Motorola way to long.
73s
You don’t have hi power radios. I don’t believe the 700/800 were offered in hi power. You have XTL mid power bricks with the W series heads. W7 head to be exact. The rear accessory programming cable is what you need.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Don’t quote me but I think the high powered models only came as a brick to be used with a separable control heads like the W3,5,7,9 or O3.

I don’t recall seeing any 7/800 stuff over 35 watts but that doesn’t mean they aren’t out there. I’m not a Motorola expert by any means.

The HKN6160 should cover all your bases.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I don’t recall seeing any 7/800 stuff over 35 watts but that doesn’t mean they aren’t out there. I’m not a Motorola expert by any means.

Thats cause they only ever made mid power in 700/800.

merlin

Don’t quote me but I think the high powered models only came as a brick to be used with a separable control heads like the W3,5,7,9 or O3.

The HKN6160 should cover all your bases.
What I get from manuals is all the bricks can be configured for trunk or front mount and 2 types of control heads. (maybe 3) Not Shure but 35 watt is the max the 700/800 radios come in. (700 Mhz-30 watt/ 800 Mhz-35 watt ???)
There is an optional 100 watt amp (base or mobile) out there too.

clbsquared

What I get from manuals is all the bricks can be configured for trunk or front mount and 2 types of control heads. (maybe 3) Not Shure but 35 watt is the max the 700/800 radios come in. (700 Mhz-30 watt/ 800 Mhz-35 watt ???)
There is an optional 100 watt amp (base or mobile) out there too.
This is not entirely true. Not all bricks can be remote mount OR dash mount. For instance, an XTL1500 is dash mount only. And some hi power units are remote mount only. As far as the heads go, you have almost a dozen different heads. The W series alone offers 5 different heads. W3,4,5,7,9. Then there’s the M5 ( XTL2500) O5, O3 and even an XTL5000 (grey) head.

N4KVE

For instance, an XTL1500 is dash mount only. And some hi power units are remote mount only. As far as the heads go, you have almost a dozen different heads. The W series alone offers 5 different heads. W3,4,5,7,9. Then there’s the M5 ( XTL2500) O5, O3 and even an XTL5000 (grey) head.
My friend is using a 900 MHz 1500 with the 03 HHCH. It works very well.

merlin

Well, I am dealing with the XTL5000
This is not entirely true. Not all bricks can be remote mount OR dash mount. For instance, an XTL1500 is dash mount only. And some hi power units are remote mount only. As far as the heads go, you have almost a dozen different heads. The W series alone offers 5 different heads. W3,4,5,7,9. Then there’s the M5 ( XTL2500) O5, O3 and even an XTL5000 (grey) head.
You are correct about the heads, I wasn't going to details.
73s

Status
Not open for further replies.