PA Statewide P25 Phase 2 System

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Just happened to notice site 40 was changed from Negro Mountain to Mt Davis. When did that happen and why? Was someone upset about it or does some newer list reflect a new name from the state? It's name was pulled from FCC licenses at the same location and PA state documents for the co-located overlay sites. Mt Davis is the summit and this site is not at the summit.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Just happened to notice site 40 was changed from Negro Mountain to Mt Davis. When did that happen and why? Was someone upset about it or does some newer list reflect a new name from the state? It's name was pulled from FCC licenses at the same location and PA state documents for the co-located overlay sites. Mt Davis is the summit and this site is not at the summit.

I'm not saying (at least on here) whether it should or should not be changed. Read this though: Negro Mountain - Wikipedia.

I don't know who changed it or when, but I think it has been changed for quite a while. You're just too busy out on the road to keep up lol.

Being Polish myself, I'll object if they change the name of Polish Mountain.

Mike

redbeard

Database Admin
I'm not saying (at least on here) whether it should or should not be changed. Read this though: Negro Mountain - Wikipedia.

I don't know who changed it or when, but I think it has been changed for quite a while. You're just too busy out on the road to keep up lol.

Being Polish myself, I'll object if they change the name of Polish Mountain.

Mike
Yeah I read the Wikipedia article about it and saw that Maryland removed the road signs in 2019. I was wondering why I didn't see them on my recent trip down near DC but it turns out we just didn't drive far enough West on I-68.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Update on Site 48 "ECEN Simulcast", although no specifics as to which sites are currently active. Perhaps someone in the area can sleuth out the various sites with antenna removed from the scanner/receiver to determine that.

NAC 941

161.8625a
161.900c

1626714798575.png

harvick21

Premium Subscriber
Anyone hearing anyhitng on the Allegheny Simulcast site? I'n Oakdale and I can't even get the site name to come up but seeing the site names for Woodbine and Blanket Hill which are considerably further away. I'm barely hearing the Oakdale site. Ever since the storm 3 weeks ago the system seems to have gone to crap.

redbeard

Database Admin
Anyone hearing anyhitng on the Allegheny Simulcast site? I'n Oakdale and I can't even get the site name to come up but seeing the site names for Woodbine and Blanket Hill which are considerably further away. I'm barely hearing the Oakdale site. Ever since the storm 3 weeks ago the system seems to have gone to crap.
I can hear it in Ohio... Perhaps you have some desense in that freq range from NWS WX or the storm affected your gear but the site is working fine.

harvick21

Premium Subscriber
I can hear it in Ohio... Perhaps you have some desense in that freq range from NWS WX or the storm affected your gear but the site is working fine.
Good to know. My antenna's all look good but need to get up on roof for closer inspection. But the other weird thing is, I set up an indoor antenna and it was initially working but now barely hearing anything. This had become very strange.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
Looks like FirstEngergy has a new helicopter to help with powerline inspections. Maybe keep an eye on a helicopter talk group to pop up for operations.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Looks like FirstEngergy has a new helicopter to help with powerline inspections. Maybe keep an eye on a helicopter talk group to pop up for operations.

That work is contracted out. Air to ground comms, if any, would likely be on company frequencies used by operator of the helicopter. In this case, work going on in SW PA is using a helicopter owned by Industrial Helicopters, LLC. A lot of these types of operations use VHF business itinerants (either licensed or unlicensed). I suppose it it possible a FE passenger could have a company radio to talk out to ground units, but more than likely not.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
That work is contracted out. Air to ground comms, if any, would likely be on company frequencies used by operator of the helicopter. In this case, work going on in SW PA is using a helicopter owned by Industrial Helicopters, LLC. A lot of these types of operations use VHF business itinerants (either licensed or unlicensed). I suppose it it possible a FE passenger could have a company radio to talk out to ground units, but more than likely not.

1627523987094.png

All expired. But that doesn't mean they're not still using the freqs.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
I mean FirstEnergy bought their own helicopter for Utility purposes. That's why I have a feeling they may use Company channels to talk on.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I mean FirstEnergy bought their own helicopter for Utility purposes. That's why I have a feeling they may use Company channels to talk on.

I guess what I'm saying is FirstEnergy work currently ongoing in SW (and SC) PA is being done by a contractor. Industrial Helicopters is doing ROW vegetation work for them right now. So, if FE bought their own helicopter, maybe down the line it will happen, but not right now.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I had some hits today on 12086 on site 75. Field unit was 1224069 (a PFBC unit) and was answered by 218 (PGC Central Dispatch Console). Comms were encrypted, so I don't have more. Just curious if others have seen encryted comms on this talkgroup. It is an unidentified PGC talkgroup, although the wiki has it tagged as SC Fire Ops 2. I have not seen encryption on the other PGC fire talkgroups.

ekim223

Yes I have also have seen encryption on at least two PGC fire talkgroups. Besides the SC Fire OPS, I have seen it on 12012 which is for NW Fire ops. It seems to me, it was during the spring when there where several small fires in the Alleghany National Forest area.