• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-8180H K2 Wide band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2ACF

Feed Provider
I just picked up a TK-8180 K2. I am unable to read it with my KPG89D software but my KPG89DN version reads it just fine. However, I need that radio to operate in wide band and the 89DN will not allow that.

Any idea why my KPG89D software won't read it? Or, anyone know of a way to force it into wide band with 89DN software?

Thanks!

Adam N2ACF

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Any idea why my KPG89D software won't read it? Or, anyone know of a way to force it into wide band with 89DN software?

If it's running narrow band firmware, it's not going to let you program it with the older software.

The only way around it is to try to find older firmware. I've never tried forcing older firmware into an updated radio, but it might work. Or it might not.

Other option is to contact Kenwood and request a W-License. That'll reopen the wide band programming capability. You'll need to supply a legit serial number for the software activation, not one of the default ones that may be floating in the dark corners of the web. They may charge you (I think it used to be 80 bucks or so, not sure what it is now) and they'll issue you a new serial number that you activate your software with wide band capability. You'll need to provide proof of eligibility for wide band channels, that could be your ham license, GMRS license, or a Part 90 license that has not been impacted by the narrow banding requirement.

N2ACF

Feed Provider
If it's running narrow band firmware, it's not going to let you program it with the older software.

Ok, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure which firmware version it has so I'll have to check that.

Do you happen to know the best means to contact Kenwood for the wide band license?

Thanks again....

Adam

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Ok, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure which firmware version it has so I'll have to check that.

Press and hold the red triangle button while simultaneously turning on the radio

Do you happen to know the best means to contact Kenwood for the wide band license?

LMR Technical Support: 310‐639‐4200
Or
Your friendly local Kenwood dealer.

N2ACF

Feed Provider
I can get you a wide band key for 89D 5.23 software.
Oh, great thanks! The "5.23" has me confused though. I wouldn't have thought that my versions were that old but my 89D software is version 1.02 and my 89DN software is version 1.61.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I'm not sure WTF is going on here with the misinformation.

You need 89D v1.61. Yes, there is an 89D that's 1.61. There is no "narrow band firmware" for the TK-8180. That may be true for other radios but not the 180s. Kenwood still requires use of 89D for radios with the Tactical Feature Set option enabled. That option is still easily purchased from Kenwood.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah I'm not sure WTF is going on here with the misinformation.

You need 89D v1.61. Yes, there is an 89D that's 1.61. There is no "narrow band firmware" for the TK-8180. That may be true for other radios but not the 180s. Kenwood still requires use of 89D for radios with the Tactical Feature Set option enabled. That option is still easily purchased from Kenwood.

I think you are 100% right and I was probably confusing my radio models.
On some of the other models, when you upgraded firmware after the rebanding mandate, it usually required using the N software.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
I think you are 100% right and I was probably confusing my radio models.
On some of the other models, when you upgraded firmware after the rebanding mandate, it usually required using the N software.
I apologize for coming off so aggressively last night.

I know you're quite familiar with the 1st gen NX radios which absolutely do work the way you describe.

These 180s though are my jam. I've got NXs and a work issued Harris and an APX6000. Still prefer and carry my 2180 and 3180 for every day tech stuff.

Had a 3180 and an NX5300 side by side doing some tower work. My 3180 was picking up the tower crew 29 miles way on simplex mostly full quieting, my co-workers 5300 barely broke squelch. (NX5k are deaf compared to most radios).

wwhitby

Feed Provider
I've got a 3180 at work and like it. Solid little radio.

I upgraded my personal radios to a TK-2180 and TK-3180, and I really like them. Unless I have end up having a need for P25, NXDN or DMR in the future, I'm planning on sticking with them and not going to the NX-5K series.

Status
Not open for further replies.