• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Talkabout FRS Radio Interference Eliminator CTCSS & DCS codes

Do you find this information useful?

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KX1B

Premium Subscriber
Recently I wanted to use my Alinco DJ-MD40 Commercial DMR radio with FRS/GMRS radios as part of a CERT Team deployment. The CERT Team has Motorola Talkabout T6530 portable FRS radios. Motorola has a feature called 'Interference Eliminator' (i.e. privacy code) that is configurable for each channel. These are CTCSS and DCS codes that they have programmed into the firmware of the radio as 0 - 99. I could not find how Motorola mapped each of these 100 privacy codes to each of the 100 settings. So I used my Alinco DJ-G7 HT to scan for each one of the 100 codes. 0 is supposedly open with no CTCSS or DCS code defined, but as you can imagine setting it to 0 causes the radio to receive some interference from nearby RF sources such as LED lights and whatnot. So setting the interference eliminators will make using these FRS radios a more pleasant experience.

I've attached the listing of the CTCSS and DCS codes for 1 - 99. 1 - 38 are CTCSS and the remainder are DCS. I could not find a DCS code being transmitted for privacy code 60. Perhaps that's a bug in their firmware. I tried two different FRS radios transmitting on 60.

I hope this table that I've attached is useful to the radio community.

Bryan

Attachments

• Motorola Talkabout T6530 CTCSS and DCS codes.pdf
    96.4 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I could not find a DCS code being transmitted for privacy code 60. Perhaps that's a bug in their firmware. I tried two different FRS radios transmitting on 60.

Seeing as they largely just go in order, it should be 143 or 145, I would guess. Those are the two standard DCS tones between what you have listed for 59 and 61.

[EDIT] Looking at some of Motorola's manuals, it is likely 143. I don't believe they used 145 for anything.

Last edited:

n1das

Privacy codes, LOL. The term "Privacy Codes" is a misnomer. They do not make radio communications private at all, yet some people mistakenly believe they do. It's fun to listen to FRS users who think they have a totally private channel and think nobody else can hear them. It's sort of like covering your eyes and thinking nobody can see you. LOL.

Motorola's "Interference Eliminator Codes" is also a misnomer. Interference Eliminator codes are actually Interference IGNORING codes.

Last edited:

n1das

Seeing as they largely just go in order, it should be 143 or 145, I would guess. Those are the two standard DCS tones between what you have listed for 59 and 61.

[EDIT] Looking at some of Motorola's manuals, it is likely 143. I don't believe they used 145 for anything.

145 is a standard DCS code but is not part of Motorola's original set of 83 DPL codes which are a subset of the standard set of 104 DCS codes.

FRS radios which advertise "121 codes" have the standard 38 CTCSS tones plus Motorola's 83 standard DPL codes. FRS radios advertising "142 codes" have the standard 38 CTCSS tones plus the full set of 104 DCS codes. DCS 252 is one of my favorite DCS codes which the Motorola Talkabouts don't have.

When choosing a DPL/DCS code to use, it is recommended to stick to using Motorola's original set of 83 DPL codes. These codes have been fully vetted and are known to work well and have been implemented by all manufacturers. Not all manufacturers have implemented the full set of 104 standard DCS codes. Some manufacturers IIRC have implemented up to 117 DCS codes.

My favorite DPL/DCS technical reference:

CTCSS:

Last edited:

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
145 is a standard DCS code but is not part of Motorola's original set of 83 DPL codes which are a subset of the standard set of 104 DCS codes.

Correct. That's why I noted it is likely 143. 143 and 145 are the only choices, and Motorola did not use 145 in any of their radios.

BrianKmetz

KX1B, thank you for your work. I have a couple a bubble-pack GMRS/FRS Motorola talk-abouts that my grandkids use. They are programmable with 1-99 tones. I have both GMRS/FRS mobile & HT radios. Because of your work I now know what the tones are and can set the tones in all my radios.

Again, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.