• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P7200 software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pandel

I have a P7200 that I am told is 700/800 P25 Phase I. I read some where that the software can be refreshed/updated to allow the radio to receive P25 Phase II. Is this possible?

Mattsenft

Premium Subscriber
The radio will need features 33,39, and 47 at a minimum in addition to the most recent firmware which is XGP R06D13 to use it on Phase II. In addition it will probably need an alignment to even receive as most fielded units of this age have drifted off frequency enough to be inoperable with the tolerances of Phase II until aligned.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
There was some hardware versions that could receive phase 2 without 47. Its kinda trial or error.

I am looking for someone who can align p7200 as there are no dealers in my neck of the woods.

TDR-94

I have a P7200 that I am told is 700/800 P25 Phase I. I read some where that the software can be refreshed/updated to allow the radio to receive P25 Phase II. Is this possible?

You have to contact a L3HARRIS dealer to purchase the Phase 2 feature.

TDR-94

There was some hardware versions that could receive phase 2 without 47. Its kinda trial or error.

There were very few out there in the wild that could receive Phase 2 with out option 47. I believe they were L and N hardware revisions. Mark mentioned there were around 50 N hardware revisions made and he owned 2 of them.

merlin

The main difference of P1 and P2 is the modulation scheme and the mode with P2 being TDMA.
For starters, the 'Patti' ASIC in the radio would have to have the codec to support CQPSK.
Also means some tighter alignment and stability.
Some do and some don't. Cross ref your radio configuration to see what you have in the radio.
Usually radios with P2 support also have the features 33,39, and 47 enabled.
P2 is also backward compatible with P1 for the sake of older radios still in service.
Cheers

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I updated 8 P7200s to Phase 2. I went through Warner Communications. They all worked great.

apco25

Batlabs OG
Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, Antarctica
I'll add the oddball firmware revs that had a bug to receive Phase 2 without Option 47 were extremely rare and most likely not to be found. Those radio also must have had option 33 and 39. Option 47 alone does nothing for you other than on Opensky.

pandel

I've got 33 and 39. I'll only be using the radio to listen to the new Hillsborough County P25 Phase II system if, and when they ever switch. I've got an SDS100 and a P7100. Like most of us here, I prefer the P7100.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Does it have option 6 too? That would be a plus for non-simulcast systems. Then all you need is option 47. You can try Warner Comm and talk to Al Morton if the other guy doesn't reach out. That is who I went through originally. That was the $250 per radio deal. That is the list price for Option 47.

TDR-94

The P7200 can be loaded with the current firmware. I have it loaded into mine.

TDR-94

I'd suggest buying a newer radio. P7200 is OLD. P7300 / XG75p can be found cheap, support current firmware and aren't 15 years old.

The P7300 is just about as old as the P7200 lol!

Last edited:

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
In most cases these days with Harris it's easier to just buy another radio than to upgrade one you have. I want P25 trunking/Phase II in my Unity mobile but it's a $1400 option. I saw a used Unity with it already optioned for $1200. But was too late to the sale. My friends and I have been playing eBay roulette with some of the 7300M on there from people who have no idea about the options. I lucked into a unit with p2 in a nice cs7000 console.

Status
Not open for further replies.