Allen ISD DMR (scan stops but no voice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexTAC

Hoping someone can help me with this on my SDS100. I have Allen ISD programmed directly off Sentinal. When scanning, it will pause on this channel (464.0500) with 5 bars, -90 RSSI sometimes for 30 - 60 seconds with no audio. Just flashes DMR/CAP+ and Slot1/Slot2 and color code 5. After a while it resume scanning as normal. Other times I can actually hear transmissions. Any advice?

Edited to add I have the DMR upgrade installed.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hoping someone can help me with this on my SDS100. I have Allen ISD programmed directly off Sentinal. When scanning, it will pause on this channel (464.0500) with 5 bars, -90 RSSI sometimes for 30 - 60 seconds with no audio. Just flashes DMR/CAP+ and Slot1/Slot2 and color code 5. After a while it resume scanning as normal. Other times I can actually hear transmissions. Any advice?

Edited to add I have the DMR upgrade installed.
How do you have this programmed?
As a conventional channel? (If you appended from the Sentinel database, that's how it would be entered, as conventional.)

That frequency, 464.050, is on two different licenses for Allen ISD.
The license that you see from the database page is WQXN272, licensed as Allen ISD Bus Channel.
1617142207688.png

However, it is also licensed on WQJE684, to the school district (buses not mentioned in the name) along with a second frequency, 463.975.
These two frequencies, on the WQJE684 license, are listed under Radio Service IG, Instrial/Business Pool, not as trunked. But I've found very often that a licensee is using two or more IG licensed frequencies in a trunked system. (464.0500 is also licensed to a Frito facility off Hwy 121, west of Plano Pkwy).

If your display is showing it as DMR, but also "CAP+", then you may be seeing two different users, one using it conventionally, one as an impromptu trunked system. I would suggest that instead of Conventional, you add both 464.050, as well as 463.975, to a DMR One Frequency Trunked System (OFT). Enter each frequency as a single frequency site. Instead of using CC5, for 464.050, leave it at Search, and see if you see more than one color code come up. Also set 463.975 as color code search. (Create a Department, and enter the TGID 1, but also set this system to ID Search.) Let it be scanned as an OFT, & see if you have more than TGID or color code come up. I have found that in most cases, my Uhf DMR channels do better set as FM, not Auto or NFM.
Slot 1 is GPS vehicle positions; slot 2 is voice.
That explains the 'no voice'.

If you scan it as an OFT, set the TGID as Slot 1, then ID Search will show if Slot 2 shows up with a different TGID, and also anything that comes across on 463.975.

TexTAC

Some of that may be above my current programming skills but I will give it a shot over the weekend. It shows as a conventional system now but I guess there is no better time to learn how to program an OFT system. I appreciate the help.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Some of that may be above my current programming skills but I will give it a shot over the weekend. It shows as a conventional system now but I guess there is no better time to learn how to program an OFT system. I appreciate the help.
If you want, I can easily create you an *.hpe file with the suggested OFT system in it, that you can import via Sentinel.

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
Allen ISD has a Multi-Site Capacity Plus system. It's a bit out of my range, but I've picked up good bits of it when mobile. Here's the unverified sites on the system - each site broadcasts the other 4 as neighbors (most of which are a single frequency, and is presumed to be LCN 01 but needs verification, and since I can't be over there when school is in session, I don't have the chance to really get into it):

SiteNameLicenseFrequencyColor Code
1Chandler ElementaryWQXQ480463.8875DCC 11
2Green ElementaryWQXQ481463.2500DCC 12
3Lindsey ElementaryWQXQ482464.7875DCC 13
4StadiumWQXQ479461.6125DCC 14
5Evans ElementaryWQYV935464.3750DCC 15

There's also a few licenses/frequencies that may not be part of the trunked system, but again, I haven't dived into that area when school is in session to search for activity, the above has just been picking up the beacon broadcasts on the "rest" channel of the Capacity Plus.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Allen ISD has a Multi-Site Capacity Plus system. It's a bit out of my range, but I've picked up good bits of it when mobile. Here's the unverified sites on the system - each site broadcasts the other 4 as neighbors (most of which are a single frequency, and is presumed to be LCN 01 but needs verification, and since I can't be over there when school is in session, I don't have the chance to really get into it):

SiteNameLicenseFrequencyColor Code
1Chandler ElementaryWQXQ480463.8875DCC 11
2Green ElementaryWQXQ481463.2500DCC 12
3Lindsey ElementaryWQXQ482464.7875DCC 13
4StadiumWQXQ479461.6125DCC 14
5Evans ElementaryWQYV935464.3750DCC 15

There's also a few licenses/frequencies that may not be part of the trunked system, but again, I haven't dived into that area when school is in session to search for activity, the above has just been picking up the beacon broadcasts on the "rest" channel of the Capacity Plus.
They also have license WQJE684, which has two frequencies. Hopefully, they have individual TGIDs for each school. otherwise, you sure couldn't tell the players without a program card.

If they are using this as a trunked system, then I suspect that you would enter that into one DMR trunk system, with each schools frequency entered as a single frequency site. If so, then the LCN 1 would make the most sense.

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
They also have license WQJE684, which has two frequencies. Hopefully, they have individual TGIDs for each school. otherwise, you sure couldn't tell the players without a program card.

If they are using this as a trunked system, then I suspect that you would enter that into one DMR trunk system, with each schools frequency entered as a single frequency site. If so, then the LCN 1 would make the most sense.
Yes, that one, which is on the Water Tower along with 464.0500 "Bus Channel"(WQXN272), 463.7625 (WQXN232) at Lowery Freshmen Center and 451.7875 (WQXN244) at the High School. My guess is the High School licensed frequency may be part of the "Stadium" site on the trunked system, since my (hazy) memory showed there might be 2 LCN's on that site the one time I picked up Comms. Again, it all needs verification and validation.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Yes, that one, which is on the Water Tower along with 464.0500 "Bus Channel"(WQXN272), 463.7625 (WQXN232) at Lowery Freshmen Center and 451.7875 (WQXN244) at the High School. My guess is the High School licensed frequency may be part of the "Stadium" site on the trunked system, since my (hazy) memory showed there might be 2 LCN's on that site the one time I picked up Comms. Again, it all needs verification and validation.
Yep.
Unfortunately, I'm well out of range, and rarely get far enough that way to actually monitor.

TexTAC

If you want, I can easily create you an *.hpe file with the suggested OFT system in it, that you can import via Sentinel.
Let me see if I can figure it out first. May take you up on this if I can’t figure it out.

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
Let me see if I can figure it out first. May take you up on this if I can’t figure it out.
Save you the hassle, here's mine. Just unzip and Import into Sentinel (I had built all of this for the purpose of working on the Capacity Plus system several months ago).

Attachments

• Allen_ISD.zip
    965 bytes · Views: 10

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Save you the hassle, here's mine. Just unzip and Import into Sentinel (I had built all of this for the purpose of working on the Capacity Plus system several months ago).
Attached is a second version of your file with the two frequencies the other license added as an OFT system.

For Frequency 464.0500, I set it as 2 sites, one with the CC of 5, the other as color code search, as is the 463.975 frequency.
If you can confirm a color code for 463.975, then edit your system to set the value instead of searching.

Attachments

• Allen ISD 2.zip
    1 KB · Views: 3

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
When monitoring the bus freq (464.05), the radio ID is the same as the bus number and the base is something like 300.

sbhnutts570

Premium Subscriber
My problem is the same it scans then stops like somone is talking but you can't hear anything. Mine are school channels too. six of them. My whistler picks them up good this uniden sds200 won't and I even have the upgrade. They are programed as conventional in Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.