SDS100/SDS200: brand new SDS100 backlight issue?

MichaelMuni

I have had the scanner for about a week and all of the sudden I noticed that the bottom of the screen seems nice and bright. Then it fades as you got up to the top. For everything but the bottom row in settings, the text color is more of a gray than white.

I included two photos for you to look at, one is with the top item in settings highlighted and the other is with the bottom item highlighted. The brightness seems a little be more noticeable in person than in the photos.

Attachments

• IMG_1976.jpg
    IMG_1976.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_1977.jpg
    IMG_1977.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 297

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm...looks like I'm not the only one having this "issue". Unfortunately, I can't return mine since I bought it back in March, but it's not a big deal for me. Still though, I'd expect better for $650...
20210510_180854.jpg

MichaelMuni

here is my issue, last week I paid for all 3 software upgrades. This makes it a little more complicated than just sending it back.

Last edited:

RadioSc

Doesn't play well with others
here is my issue, last week I paid for all 3 software upgrades. This makes it a little more complicated than just sending it back.
You know the Upgrades *should be still on your scanner upon receiving it back. Uniden is only going to touch is the LEDS. Unless they give you a replacement. and if so i would tell them you paid for Upgrades on your Defective Scanner. And you would like to transfer the upgrade codes to the new replacement scanner

MStep

Doesn't look that bad to me. When I got my SDS200, the keyboard are was brighter on one side than the other. After looking at several others, I noticed most of them have imbalances in the lighting. I would live with it and be happy. I have yet to see either a 100 or 200 that has a "perfect" lighting balance. They all seem to be a little off. And what you say is true-- the fact the have already purchased the upgrades, all the more reason not to drive yourself crazy.

Just know that there are many others out there with similar issues, and that if you are expecting perfection from Uniden for 600 or 700, I don't believe that is going to happen. Don't forget one thing---- the one you get might be worse than the one you have. You only have a 33% chance of getting one that is "better"---- the odds are 66% you will get one with either the same issue of even worse.

N9JIG

Sheriff
If the display is defective Uniden will repair/replace under warranty. Be sure to notify them that you have the upgrades so that if they replace the radio they provide the upgrades with the new radio. If they return a different radio with the same serial number you can reinstall the upgrades with the same codes as before. If they repair the existing radio the upgrades should remain intact.

I would also check with your retailer. If you bought the upgrades from them at the time of buying the radio they might take care of it directly. If you bought the upgrades yourself after you bought the radio then you would be best off dealing directly with Uniden to recover/retain the upgrades.

WD9FOG

Premium Subscriber
You know the Upgrades *should be still on your scanner upon receiving it back. Uniden is only going to touch is the LEDS. Unless they give you a replacement. and if so i would tell them you paid for Upgrades on your Defective Scanner. And you would like to transfer the upgrade codes to the new replacement scanner
I sent my 100 back. I received a new one with upgrades installed and favorites transfered to new scanner. They also sent old chip back.

MichaelMuni

looking at the uniden website doesn't instill much confidence. Under warranty they list LCD as all sales final no warranty coverage.
The process to even send in a warranty repair seems a bit crazy to me. User must determine if there will be any repair costs and include the payment with the device. You don't actually contact anyone, just ship it out and include your return info "attached to the device". If you dont include the correct payment amount or pay the amount within 30 days (how would you even know) they just keep your radio.

I think i'll just bite the bullet, keep this one and never buy any future Uniden products. They seem like the most legit scammers ever.

MStep

I think i'll just bite the bullet, keep this one and never buy any future Uniden products. They seem like the most legit scammers ever.

Great decision. Enjoy the scanner... it's a great piece of equipment. They all have little quirks (both the 100 and 200), and it's not worth the aggravation to obsess over these minor factory flaws. Many of my friends have versions of the SDS series, and I have never seen one that I consider "perfect", especially when it comes to the balancing of the lighting, both within the display and/or on the keypad.

MichaelMuni

Great decision. Enjoy the scanner... it's a great piece of equipment. They all have little quirks (both the 100 and 200), and it's not worth the aggravation to obsess over these minor factory flaws. Many of my friends have versions of the SDS series, and I have never seen one that I consider "perfect", especially when it comes to the balancing of the lighting, both within the display and/or on the keypad.
That type of quality control is what you would expect from something someone made themself with off brand cheap parts in a custom made case. Exspecialy after the device has been out for so long and they still have not worked out any of the issues other than providing a larger battery. I'm sure one of the reasons they are not doing anything is because why do something if we all just "live with it", no cost to them when we do this.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
looking at the uniden website doesn't instill much confidence. Under warranty they list LCD as all sales final no warranty coverage.
The process to even send in a warranty repair seems a bit crazy to me. User must determine if there will be any repair costs and include the payment with the device. You don't actually contact anyone, just ship it out and include your return info "attached to the device". If you dont include the correct payment amount or pay the amount within 30 days (how would you even know) they just keep your radio.

That 'all sales final', implying 'no warranty' is directed at the purchase of individual accessories & components purchased from their website, not a 'complete unit', such as your scanner. The scanner itself (including the display) has a one year warranty the from date of purchase of the original owner. If sending a scanner (or other device) in for a warrantable repair, you would need to include a copy of your proof of purchase.

fdnyfish

Feed Provider
I sent my SDS-100 back to Uniden for this issue. They sent it back to me with a a packing slip that said "Replace LCD Display", I got a new display with the plastic on it, but the issue is still there. Case#2208

IMG_3067.jpg08312021182554.jpeg08312021183447.jpeg

fdnyfish

Feed Provider
Bottom of screen much brighter than the rest. It’s a noticeable difference that my other 2 sds100’s don’t have

W5ATX

Premium Subscriber
Mine has the same display issue where it's much brighter in the bottom part of the screen compared to the top, no matter what brightness level it's set at. It is especially noticeable in the lower right corner of the display. This was purchased new from HRO Plano last month. My previous 2 SDS100's didn't have this issue. If I send it in without dmr/provoice/nxdn , are you saying it will come back with all three keys? Hi-Hi.